"Active Safety"

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Active safety seems to be the name of the feature to the left of the dashboard screen, below and to the right of the LKA indicator. It looks as if the car is at the start of the Cresta run or a ski jump or something like that.

The name is all that I've been able to find in the manual. I've found nothing about what it does or how to make it do it. On my car it always looks the same. The car is facing an empty runway which I think has a bit of a blue colour to it. That's it. It never changes and never shows anything else.

I've seen pictures of other cars' dashboards where there are other things on that display. I thought perhaps it was something that was only active in the Trophy, but wondered why it occupied such a large proportion of the screen in the SE if it's not doing anything. But people with SEs tell me that it does. Someone in another thread talked about it showing other vehicles in front of the car or to the side of it, and the vehicles changing colour depending on how close you were to them. This sounds really cool, but my car isn't doing it.

Is there a specific setting that has to be enabled to make this thing do something? It just looks like a pointless waste of dashboard space to me.

Someone with an SE model might want to confirm, but in my case it shows the traffic around the car at all times - independent of any settings.

That said, it works rather poorly. It regularly shows cars in the adjacent lane - even if there isn't even a lane there. I really hope MG is not going to implement any autonomous driving functions shortly.

I think if you have the speed limiter selected or off instead of cruise control in the Drive Assist System then I don't think it shows anything. Switch to cruise control then the grey blocks for cars bicycles show up.

I think if you have the speed limiter selected or off instead of cruise control in the Drive Assist System then I don't think it shows anything. Switch to cruise control then the grey blocks for cars bicycles show up.
And even at times gray ghost like pedestrians 😱

I'll try that. I just want to see that it works, even if it's not something I would regularly use.

As I've replied previously in another thread, I'm fairly sure mine always shows things around the car - whether ACC is engaged or not. (I do however have ACC selected in the options screen. No idea if setting the selection to Off gives the scenario @Rolfe describes).

Click the Car button on the Infotainment
Click the MG Pilot tab/button (if not selected by default
Look at what you've got set for ACC etc. (I can't remember what they're actually called)

Click the Car button on the Infotainment
Click the MG Pilot tab/button (if not selected by default
Look at what you've got set for ACC etc. (I can't remember what they're actually called)

Yeah, that worked. So it's all working. I don't really want to use ACC though. Were you saying it can be selected but you don't have to use it? I'd rather drive the car myself, but the ghost vehicles showing up on that view are kind of cool.

I think there are parts of the software that try to mimic that of Tesla's, which is kinda cute in a way and annoying in another. The HVAC full screen menu has buttons for you to select where you want the air to flow but you can also hit the areas on the visual representation of the cockpit (like you can on a Tesla) which I find annoying as they are so easily hit when you're turning on something like the heated seats.

First world problems eh :LOL:

If they want to impress me with their software, they can sort out the USB music handling so the car recognises folders. I mean how hard can it be? If they can't get something that basic right, not impressed!

Yeah, that worked. So it's all working. I don't really want to use ACC though. Were you saying it can be selected but you don't have to use it? I'd rather drive the car myself, but the ghost vehicles showing up on that view are kind of cool.
Exactly that ... ACC (or TJA if you have that selected) won't engage until you press the middle button on the left of the steering wheel. :)

My problem is that on my last car the left-hand buttons controlled the audio. I'm not yet used to it being the right-hand ones.

Not as bad as the courtesy car I had, where the lower you pushed the wiper stalk the faster the wipers went!

Yeah, mine (Trophy) shows the surrounding cars, vans, motorcycles and pedestrians. Sometimes it even shows 2 cars in front, no ideas how it figures that one out.

Wait until you find the volume control for the indicator noise, that one blew my mind 🤯🤣 and the shortcut for the HVAC, I use that all the time now.

I've been using the shortcut for the HVAC since about day three (thank God it's there), but I didn't know there was a volume control for the indicator sound. Mine is rather loud.

All these fancy wrinkles and they can't give us the opportunity to avoid the car locking us in, or a USB interface that understands folders.

That's awesome I will certainly try that today - does it maintain that setting once you adjust it or does it go back to default setting when you get back in the car next time? (Like it does with the drive modes and LKA for example)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back