Adding a dashcam

annah

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have added a dashcam to my MG4 but because the car doesn’t turn on and off as such, it is not starting to record when I start to drive. Has anyone got a dashcam and can offer a solution? Thanks.

I have added a dashcam to my MG4 but because the car doesn’t turn on and off as such, it is not starting to record when I start to drive. Has anyone got a dashcam and can offer a solution? Thanks.

The very simplest solution is to plug it into the 12v socket under the console.
It will then come on when you sit in the drivers seat, and off in conjunction with when you lock the car.

The very simplest solution is to plug it into the 12v socket under the console.
It will then come on when you sit in the drivers seat, and off in conjunction with when you lock the car.
Thanks. I hadn’t thought of that. However I would then have wires trailing through the car. I currently have it hard-wired.

Thanks. I hadn’t thought of that. However I would then have wires trailing through the car. I currently have it hard-wired.
Not if you're clever.
Mine is secured with 3m cable clips to the back of the glovebox, then along the back to the door seal.
Under the Seal, up and behind the A pillar, then under roof lining to the top center of the windscreen where the camera is.

Hello,
Of course it is possible to have the Dashcam wake-up and shut-down with the car. Here is where you'll find the switched 12V and the permanent too:
fuse-switched-12V-and-perm-12V.jpg

Installed my Nextbase dashcam in 15 minutes. It's stuck to the glass adjacent to the mirror and hardwired to the fusebox.The wires are pushed into the hood lining and pillar using the tool provided and are totally invisible. It fires up when the car switches on and off when I lock the door but still has power to record if the car is moved or jolted when parked. An additional camera module plugged into the main camera body looks out of the back window for any action from the rear.

Installed my Nextbase dashcam in 15 minutes. It's stuck to the glass adjacent to the mirror and hardwired to the fusebox.The wires are pushed into the hood lining and pillar using the tool provided and are totally invisible. It fires up when the car switches on and off when I lock the door but still has power to record if the car is moved or jolted when parked. An additional camera module plugged into the main camera body looks out of the back window for any action from the rear.
Sounds good what model did you go for and how much is it

Sounds good what model did you go for and how much is it
I bought the Nextbase 622GW which I think is the top of the NextBase range - it cost 260 Euros (I'm in Germany - so about £225). On top of this I needed the hardwire installation kit (25€/£22) and I used the rear-view camera add-on from the camera in my previous car, which I left installed when I returned it at the end of the lease. Otherwise this costs about 65€/£55
I'd been happy with the NextBase model in my old car, so saw no reason to change to a different make.

Last edited:
Not if your clever.
Mine is secured with 3m cable clips to the back of the glovebox, then along the back to the door seal.
Under the Seal, up and behind the A pillar, then under roof lining to the top center of the windscreen where the camera is.
sadly I am not clever enough to do this. I had it professionally installed and the power comes from the fuse box. I guess I need to go back to them.

Thank you all for your input.
I went back to the installer and with some tweaks to the settings and a change of socket (still in the fuse box by the drivers knee) it is now working as expected.
It is a nextbase 422 and installation cost me £50 (which included cables). Installer was very knowledgeable and said the new cars are ‘too clever’ 😝

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back