Adding Apps to Centre screen

You can't - you can only use Apple CarPlay. (Plug your phone into the USB-A (left) port under the shelf, then do whatever Apple users need to do to enable CarPlay).

The only app that translates over is the Now playing app so if your listen a a podcast or music it will be available to pause or skip.

I added an Android AI box to my MG4. Mine's an SE, so wired carplay, but the AI box plugs in to the car, and provides wireless carplay for my phone. Works with both Android and Apple phones I believe. Can access more apps than Android Auto gave me with phone plugged into car direct. Also provides a WiFi hotspot for the family, and can use the AI box on it's own without my phone if I needed to, as it's essentially a phone in a box.

I added an Android AI box to my MG4. Mine's an SE, so wired carplay, but the AI box plugs in to the car, and provides wireless carplay for my phone. Works with both Android and Apple phones I believe. Can access more apps than Android Auto gave me with phone plugged into car direct. Also provides a WiFi hotspot for the family, and can use the AI box on it's own without my phone if I needed to, as it's essentially a phone in a box.
Could you tell us what Android AI box you got and how you like it?

It's a CarlinKit CPC200-Tbox Plus. It works really well. I have it stuck to the underside of the centre console using double sided tape (the same stuff you use for fixing badges on cars) Despite being an Android box, it appears as Apple Carplay on the Infotainment screen. When you click on it, it opens up with it's own apps, so you have all the usual ones, Maps, Waze, Spotify, Netflix, VLC, etc. You can add any app from Google Play Store too.

There is an app for connecting your phone to it, and when you launch it, it then displays your phone on the infotainment using wireless Android Auto. I can then access all the apps on my phone. It has two slots on it, one for a micro SD card, and another for a SIM. By adding a SIM, it can provide a WiFi hotspot for people in the car. SD card slot can be used for storing media to play with the apps. There are two versions, a 4Gb RAM/64Gb storage, and an 8Gb/128Gb version. I have the 4/64 version and other than taking a little while to boot, once it's running it is nice and responsive.

I bought mine new from eBay as I found that was the cheapest place to buy in UK. Make sure it's the current version with Android 12, there are some older ones for sale with Android 11. I paid £145 with free delivery for mine.

There is a review of the 5 best Android AI boxes here:
Review Android AI Boxes

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums