Additional under body protection applied

DaveA70

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
As I plan to keep my ZS EV for the long term I had a friend improve what has been applied by the factory. He used a waxy oil inside the steel sections and then applied Upol Raptor undercoat and finish, being careful to mask off pipes & cables as well as the drainage holes. If anyone wants any more info let me know.
882F6C3E-6C5A-46AB-9E23-522366DA3829.jpeg

Attachments

• E955C0FF-30AA-4271-A6B0-A0C1921F0B50.jpeg
    E955C0FF-30AA-4271-A6B0-A0C1921F0B50.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 1EEDA0A1-6CF4-4D58-8714-50CE6D94E6E4.jpeg
    1EEDA0A1-6CF4-4D58-8714-50CE6D94E6E4.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 297
Ho wlong did it take to apply and what do you think the cost of this would be if you had to pay for it to be done. Looks a good job! (y)

There’s definitely a market for a good quality sensibly priced job. I think many - myself included would have it done. I’m surprised that someone who has a business doing this hasn’t dropped a link on here.

As I plan to keep my ZS EV for the long term I had a friend improve what has been applied by the factory. He used a waxy oil inside the steel sections and then applied Upol Raptor undercoat and finish, being careful to mask off pipes & cables as well as the drainage holes. If anyone wants any more info let me know.
View attachment 2901
nice you got before pics

There’s definitely a market for a good quality sensibly priced job. I think many - myself included would have it done. I’m surprised that someone who has a business doing this hasn’t dropped a link on here.
My mate charged me £600. His comments were the factory rust proofing is about normal for budget cars he see’s (he is a welder fabricator by profession doing anything for MOT failures to restoration). He should me where all cars eventually go and how the manufactures have honed the material and labour to keep the cost down.

He had the car for a couple of days. Cost would be around £600.
Hi
I've just taken delivery of a MG ZS EV SE. I think now might be a good time for some extra underseal - while it's still squeeky clean. I see that DaveA70 lives in Northampton as I do (Northampron,Grange Park). I assume that DaveA70's friend who did the work is also Northamptonshire based??
Could you send me his contact details please.
Kind regards
David

Dave hasn't looked in for at least a couple of months.

On reading the warranty I bleave this would void the corrosion warranty so be careful

On reading the warranty I bleave this would void the corrosion warranty so be careful
That's a very interesting comment. It would never have occured to me that adding a layer of rust protection would in any way effect the cars warranty??

Technically is classed as a modification to the underside of the car using non mg approved products you say your adding protection but they can say you have trapped in moisture and blocked drain holes with wax so you made it rust worse
anything to get out of the Warranty claim and corrosion is mentioned a lot in the warranty even if you fit mudflaps if not mg and fitted to there specification it's void

I can totally understand the argument for not applying extra under seal over the factory installed stuff being a warranty issue, but I see no real reason myself, why it would not be acceptable to spray inject some fluid film or such like protection fluid INSIDE of the body shell box sections etc ?.
Treatment is always better applied to the inside, rather than the outside of any cavity.
Surface rust is never your problem, it penetrative rust that comes from the inside / out is the car killer !.
Consider just how much rain water 💦 passes through the inside of the doors of your car in its life time.
That’s why they have drain holes fitted under neath.
Without them the doors would be full of water in a couple of months !.
Road dirt and mud trapped in pockets is a big cause of rust.
The dirt / mud remains almost constantly wet and rarely gets a chance to dry out.
It is in constant contact with the steel and the perforation rust monster gets to work.
If I am cleaning my car, I will jet wash under the wheel arches etc about once a month.
It’s amazing how much dirt is lodged under there !.
Even with the arch liners that they fitting these days.

Technically is classed as a modification to the underside of the car using non mg approved products you say your adding protection but they can say you have trapped in moisture and blocked drain holes with wax so you made it rust worse
anything to get out of the Warranty claim and corrosion is mentioned a lot in the warranty even if you fit mudflaps if not mg and fitted to there specification it's void
I agree, it pays to tread carefully when it comes to breaching any warranty / insurance conditions.
I consider that the true worth of ANY of this produces is only known, once you come to make a claim !.
Then with some companies, if the sun is just too low in the sky on that particular day, your claim is likely to be rejected.
They have no problem accepting your premium every year, but can be funny if you make a claim.
I have paid buildings and contents insurance for over 50 years and never made a claim.
I could have built another house with all the money I have paid out over the years ! 🤣.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom