Advice needed please

Gwynfor Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had my MG ZS Ev for about 9 months now and yet to take it on a long drive.
On Saturday I will be doing my first long distance drive from Swansea to North London together with my grandson.
To say I'm anxious is an understatement .
Can anyone advise where I should stop to recharge between Swansea and North London?
I guess with range I should have 3 stops. Which app should I use to do so?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Gwyn

Are you able to destination charge when you get into London? (Ie 7kw). If so, you will only need one long or two shorter rapid stops per each leg of the journey. If you do the two stop strategy, and using Ecotricity, Cardiff gate and membery services (because they have CCS), but plan for nearby backup chargers.
If you cant destination charge, then once you arrive to London, rapid charge it asap, as the battery will be warm and charge quicker. Dont wait until after the family meetup as the battery will cool down and you will get slower charge rates.

And stop rapid charging around 80%, the last 20% will take longer than 0-80% and not time effective.

Thanks for the reply. The Ecotricity in Membury seems my best bet.
Presumably I can use the Zap app?. I have inputed my card details.
Would all charging points be compatible with my car?

Only CCS. There's only one CCS unit at membery currently, so if its out of use or in use, have to use an alternative or wait.
Chademo don't fit. Type 2 is too slow (you might save a few minutes if you 'pre-charge' with type 2 if the ccs one is in use, and switch the minute CCS becomes free). You will need Ecotricity's app to use their charger.

Or if you got the cash and want no worries about wither membery's single ccs is in use, ionity chargers at Chippenham (at the truck stop off junction 17). 4 ccs units. But its 69p per Kw..... (and if you use a debit card it locks £67 pre-authorisation charge)

Thanks for that. Presumably the chargers are easily identifiable.
In the event of the 1 CCS being out of order etc how to do users identify nearest alternate chargers?

I have done a similar trips in the last few months. Membury is the first port of call, to use the Ecotricity pump. That has always been in use when I have arrived, and then has broken down during or before my use, The Newbury services are just 12 miles further on, again just one pump and has always been in use.

The Ionity pumps are exactly halfway, but its been a struggle to get them to work, and a £67 grab onto your bank balance. and I never got a full charge before it cut out.

Thanks for the reply. The Ecotricity in Membury seems my best bet.
Presumably I can use the Zap app?. I have inputed my card details.
You may want to read this page

Other thing to do is to only do 60-65mph. Otherwise the wind resistance etc will use quite a lot more power. 60 is better than 65, but I get frustrated with overtaking lorries at 60mph. With luck and a wind behind, you should get 130 miles comfortably, and be able to reach the Reading Services. But that does not allow much leeway if they are duff...

Recently did a trip from the north of England to visit my brother's in Glasgow (around 220 miles) charged up just the once on the way up.
So your trip at slower speeds due to the amount of traffic down your way I'd say you should be good on one charge too (then another where your going to before heading back)
I used an Ionity on the way north and never again (took ages to get the app working and the cost 😡 being a Scot really hurt. Stuck to Instavolt from then on and perfect charge and price) 👍

Only CCS. There's only one CCS unit at membery currently, so if its out of use or in use, have to use an alternative or wait.
Chademo don't fit. Type 2 is too slow (you might save a few minutes if you 'pre-charge' with type 2 if the ccs one is in use, and switch the minute CCS becomes free). You will need Ecotricity's app to use their charger.

Or if you got the cash and want no worries about wither membery's single ccs is in use, ionity chargers at Chippenham (at the truck stop off junction 17). 4 ccs units. But its 69p per Kw..... (and if you use a debit card it locks £67 pre-authorisation charge)
69p per kWh !?!?!?!?!?!?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom