AEB and Front Collision Assist

I all fairness, I can't see how you would test this without being fully prepared to hit something at a reasonable speed. It is an 'emergency' braking system after all.

I would have though that if you're actually looking where you're going then basic self preservation would see you braking before the car does, even driving more aggressively to test it probably wouldn't be enough. There's probably a minimum speed at which it kicks in too...

I don’t see why you are taking this high handed approach. There was absolutely nothing dangerous in what I did. Normally, I am a very safe driver and thus I keep a good amount of distance between myself and the vehicle in front. Due to defensive driving and the effort to maximise range on an EV, I would start coasting and applying gentle brakes from a distance upon seeing an obstacle up ahead. In this case, all I did was apply brakes a little later on but still well within safe limits. Sort of like an aggressive driver would do but not so late that I would be almost touching the vehicle in the front. I still stopped easily with a few feet to spare. It is not like I tried to run over a pedestrian to test it. I would suggest avoiding name calling without reason. For all we know, I might be a far safer driver than you. We can make such assumptions.
By the way, I drive in the UK a lot including in the Midlands and I have driven around the world extensively.
High handed? It was you who posted 'brake until the absolutely last moment... Similarly I pretended to crash in to cars in front by driving faster and also tried it when approaching stopped traffic at a light' . This is unsafe and stupid driving by any standards. Your attempts at justifying what you actually wrote in your first post are not convincing. You are a danger to yourself and other road users.

High handed? It was you who posted 'brake until the absolutely last moment... Similarly I pretended to crash in to cars in front by driving faster and also tried it when approaching stopped traffic at a light' . This is unsafe and stupid driving by any standards. Your attempts at justifying what you actually wrote in your first post are not convincing. You are a danger to yourself and other road users.
Not at all. It was done in an absolutely safe manner. As I explained, instead of braking and coasting from a longer distance, I behaved like a more aggressive driver and applied brakes a little later but well within the margin of safety. When I said I pretended to crash into parked cars, please see the word used, ‘pretended’, not actually attempted to crash. If you want to twist this into something unsafe then that is up to you. By your logic, anyone trying out the autonomous driving on a Tesla is also practicing unsafe and stupid driving even if he or she remains vigilant and ready to intervene. All I did was to approach the vehicle a little closer than normal to see if the system would warn me or apply the brakes. The point where I manually applied them was still well within the margin of safety. However the system wouldn’t know this and it would appear as if the driver had not noticed the vehicle in front. That is what I meant by pretending to crash.

Not at all. It was done in an absolutely safe manner. As I explained, instead of braking and coasting from a longer distance, I behaved like a more aggressive driver and applied brakes a little later but well within the margin of safety. When I said I pretended to crash into parked cars, please see the word used, ‘pretended’, not actually attempted to crash. If you want to twist this into something unsafe then that is up to you. By your logic, anyone trying out the autonomous driving on a Tesla is also practicing unsafe and stupid driving even if he or she remains vigilant and ready to intervene. All I did was to approach the vehicle a little closer than normal to see if the system would warn me or apply the brakes. The point where I manually applied them was still well within the margin of safety. However the system wouldn’t know this and it would appear as if the driver had not noticed the vehicle in front. That is what I meant by pretending to crash.
When you stated in post #19 'Normally, I am a very safe driver' this would imply what you were describing as your driving was not normal and as you say in post #24 'aggressive'. Keep such aggressive driving tactics off public roads before you injure someone.

When you stated in post #19 'Normally, I am a very safe driver' this would imply what you were describing as your driving was not normal and as you say in post #24 'aggressive'. Keep such aggressive driving tactics off public roads before you injure someone.
Looks like there is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion. Here is one example that might help clarify it. If someone decides to try out the traffic jam assist or adaptive cruise control and drives on a road. The vehicle ahead stops and the driver keeps an eye on the MG Pilot to see if it would brake. The vehicle gets closer and eventually starts braking. You keep a close vigil and if it gets too close, you intervene and brake. That’s all I did. If we call this unsafe then anyone using adaptive cruise or MG Pilot is practicing “stupid and unsafe driving”. So if someone says, hey I tried the MG Pilot today and guess what, it didn‘t stop at a traffic jam and I had to brake myself. Would you call that person a bad driver and say he was engaged in dangerous driving? At no point did I get so close that I wouldn’t have been able to brake with a margin of safety.

Looks like there is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion. Here is one example that might help clarify it. If someone decides to try out the traffic jam assist or adaptive cruise control and drives on a road. The vehicle ahead stops and the driver keeps an eye on the MG Pilot to see if it would brake. The vehicle gets closer and eventually starts braking. You keep a close vigil and if it gets too close, you intervene and brake. That’s all I did. If we call this unsafe then anyone using adaptive cruise or MG Pilot is practicing “stupid and unsafe driving”. So if someone says, hey I tried the MG Pilot today and guess what, it didn‘t stop at a traffic jam and I had to brake myself. Would you call that person a bad driver and say he was engaged in dangerous driving? At no point did I get so close that I wouldn’t have been able to brake with a margin of safety.
No misunderstanding or confusion, as I said before what you initially described was unnecessary increasing your chances of causing an accident and injuring someone. You are failing to convince me (by using unrelated examples) of your poor judgement while driving on public roads.

No misunderstanding or confusion, as I said before what you initially described was unnecessary increasing your chances of causing an accident and injuring someone. You are failing to convince me (by using unrelated examples) of your poor judgement while driving on public roads.
So whenever you first tried out the MG Pilot and waited to see if would stop the vehicle, you did exactly what I did. If you ever use it, you are engaging in exactly the same dangerous behavior. It is not unrelated at all. It is the same autonomous braking system. What exactly do you do when using the adaptive cruise or traffic jame assist in the Pilot? You see that there is a slower or stopped vehicle ahead but you don’t immediately brake yourself. You wait for the system to notice it and brake for you. If the system doesn’t notice it and you feel you are getting too close, you take over and brake. That’s exactly what I did. By your logic you are also increase your chances of having an accident by relying on the system rather than braking yourself from an even safer distance.

Last edited:
I see. So now you want to resort to blatant racism and some sort of assumed superiority. By this logic, I should look at your location and then generalise all ills found in the UK and assume that you would also engage in them. There are good and bad drivers everywhere. If I were a bad driver as you are assuming, I wouldn’t even care about defensive driving aids like AEB. The very fact that I am concerned about additional safety features should tell you the sort of driving I practice.
where have I mentioned race, To justify you accusing me of blatant racism!?

all I’ve called out is, and I quote

‘ I tried driving in to double parked cars and didn’t brake until the absolutely last moment but there was absolutely no response from the system. Similarly I pretended to crash in to cars in front by driving faster and also tried it when approaching stopped traffic at a light.’

So this is normal driving behaviour over in new Delhi? I’m sure it’s perfectly safe……

just don’t drive near me like that, as racist or not, I can Guarantee you will end up in a road rage incident with someone!
or get done for dangerous driving

where have I mentioned race, To justify you accusing me of blatant racism!?

all I’ve called out is, and I quote

‘ I tried driving in to double parked cars and didn’t brake until the absolutely last moment but there was absolutely no response from the system. Similarly I pretended to crash in to cars in front by driving faster and also tried it when approaching stopped traffic at a light.’

So this is normal driving behaviour over in new Delhi? I’m sure it’s perfectly safe……

just don’t drive near me like that, as racist or not, I can Guarantee you will end up in a road rage incident with someone!
or get done for dangerous driving
Please read my post just above which explains what exactly I did. You brought up race or nationalism, call it what you like, by suggesting that I wouldn’t know what safe driving means because of where I am. In fact in this very post you are making similar suggestions. You could have called it unsafe and accused me of being a bad driver. Fair enough. However you have twice suggested that this is because I am located in Delhi,

So whenever you first tried out the MG Pilot and waited to see if would stop the vehicle, you did exactly what I did. If you ever use it, you are engaging in exactly the same dangerous behavior. It is not unrelated at all. It is the same autonomous braking system.
It certainly did not do what you described as not braking until last minute and driving faster when approaching stationary traffic. (which is unsafe driving). My car, when using MG Pilot, brought me to a slow controlled stop. I do not deliberately speed up as I approach stopped traffic (stupid and dangerous).
Instead of trying to explain yourself and justify what you first posted think before you post.
Just admit what you did was stupid.

Tell this to a parent who has a child injured due to deliberate irresponsible driving, I have spent a lifetime using my expertise to educate. You are not born with a 'gift' it is called studying.
AKA common sense (y)

It certainly did not do what you described as not braking until last minute and driving faster when approaching stationary traffic. (which is unsafe driving). My car, when using MG Pilot, brought me to a slow controlled stop. I do not deliberately speed up as I approach stopped traffic (stupid and dangerous).
Instead of trying to explain yourself and justify what you first posted think before you post.
Please read my post just above which explains what exactly I did. You brought up race or nationalism, call it what you like, by suggesting that I wouldn’t know what safe driving means because of where I am. In fact in this very post you are making similar suggestions. You could have called it unsafe and accused me of being a bad driver. Fair enough. However you have twice suggested that this is because I am located in Delhi,

@Lobogris, you carry on with what you are doing, you are doing it so well. Congratulations 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🚗☠️🤯😵‍💫 you’ve made my ignore list.
@Dr Dave, it’s not worth it, don’t get dragged down to their level, you be accused of something

well that all folks, I’m out

You are deliberately trying to ignore logic. It is impossible to convince you when you have already made up your mind. When your car comes to what you call a controlled stop, you are waiting without intervention, hoping the system would brake. You know that sometimes it fails to detect a vehicle. So you are vigilant and ready to apply brakes if needed. However you also approach the vehicle ahead at a faster speed vs. braking from a distance as the pilot slows down later than you normally would if you were trying to coast to a stop. That’s exactly what I did. Same system, same forward radar. If you want to claim it is more dangerous so be it. You are deliberately choosing to read my words in a light that supports your claim of unsafe driving.

@Lobogris, you carry on with what you are doing, you are doing it so well. Congratulations 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🚗☠️🤯😵‍💫 you’ve made my ignore list.
@Dr Dave, it’s not worth it, don’t get dragged down to their level, you be accused of something

well that all folks, I’m out
No great loss. I am sure heavenly angels drive on your roads. They never speed, you have never seen anyone get distracted and brake late. Nor has anyone ever screeched to a halt.

You are deliberately trying to ignore logic. It is impossible to convince you when you have already made up your mind. When your car comes to what you call a controlled stop, you are waiting without intervention, hoping the system would brake. You know that sometimes it fails to detect a vehicle. So you are vigilant and ready to apply brakes if needed. However you also approach the vehicle ahead at a faster speed vs. braking from a distance as the pilot slows down later than you normally would if you were trying to coast to a stop. That’s exactly what I did. Same system, same forward radar. If you want to claim it is more dangerous so be it. You are deliberately choosing to read my words in a light that supports your claim of unsafe driving.
You are spending your time trying to defend and back track on your initial post which was ill thought out in its description which describes your unsafe driving. You are not changing my opinion.

You are spending your time trying to defend and back track on your initial post which was ill thought out in its description which describes your unsafe driving. You are not changing my opinion.
I have no need to change your opinion. Please feel free to think as you like. I was asking a simple question, not participating in a road safety forum where I should have first framed a disclosure regarding safe driving practices.

Regarding the actual question.
I've also had the auto emergency stop getting ready many times - you hear it prime the brakes, I've only ever had it engage a couple of times.
I do not use MG pilot, so it's nothing to do with that. But your spec in India maybe different - could that be it, maybe it doesn't really have those features.

Personally, I find it more dangerous than safer having it on the car, it kicks in when there is no real reason - it see's a bollard/car turning that is plenty of distance away. I'd be happy for it not to be on my car lol (I know you can turn some bits off but then it leases warnings showing which are irritating etc)

I have no need to change your opinion. Please feel free to think as you like. I was asking a simple question, not participating in a road safety forum where I should have first framed a disclosure regarding safe driving practices.
I don't even own an MG yet but have read this thread through.

Maybe the opening statement could have been phrased better (?) but the subsequent explanations, in my opinion, have been very clear and I can easily understand the issue and the desire to validate the actual operation of the system.

What's the point in buying a car that's supposed to have systems to protect us against the stupidity of ourselves and others if we can't verify that they actually work? You might as well just save the money.

Of course it's always other people who are fannying around with their phones, talking to their passengers, looking back at the squabbling kids, diving from the outside lane to get to the exit...and so on.

I can envisage the testing of the system in the way described without endangering life and limb.

I too have seen the traffic in New Delhi and elsewhere in India and wish the traffic in this country was as 'animated'. Maybe we'd all be able to get there a bit quicker!

Re accusations of dangerous driving...I saw a recommendation on here to drive at 100km per hour for efficiency but when I recently pointed out on a phev forum that 56 mph has always been the magic number for vehicle fuel efficiency I was accused of being a dangerous driver.

As I always remind my kids, and theirs, when you are pointing the finger of blame....look where the other three are pointing.

Drama Popcorn GIF by Alexander IRL

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom