After a week of MG ZS EV ownership…

I’m pleased it works for you, but it must be said, if manufacturers use terminology it should be accurate. It does not have one-pedal driving; which not only slows on regen when lifting the accelerator but stops the car and holds it until you touch the pedal again - all without application of the foot brake.

No amounts of updates will make this car able to do regen braking when using the ACC system, and if the technitian has told you otherwise, he is a fool :)

As stated before, the ACC system is the same they use in the petrol / Hybrid version (MK I) and this system does not have the posibility to control the regen when ACC needs to brake.

This is a case of "Chinese manual being intentionally vague to give you the impression, something is there, when in fact it is not, and if read with "Chinese" glasses, it does not actually say it is"

When dealing with this manual, use the same precaution, as when reading product descriptions on sites like Wish, and Aliexpress.

Also "The infotainment CAN be updated via OTA updates" does not mean "The infotainment WILL be updated via OTA updates".

They say it can, but that is not the same as it ever will..

All EV’s should have the one pedal driving option. Anyone who has used it for any length of time will know how easy it makes driving and how much you miss it in cars that don’t have it.

It's really nowhere near.
If you have a ZS EV Gen 1 that has had the BMS update, then that’s as close as you are going to get to one pedal driving.
It is stronger that the original factory BMS setting.
But the Gen 1 max setting is still stronger than the max Regen setting than the Gen 2 model regardless.
A small advantage, is that more foot brake action will keep the brake disc’s free from rust build up 🤣.

If you have a ZS EV Gen 1 that has had the BMS update, then that’s as close as you are going to get to one pedal driving.
But the Gen 1 max setting is still stronger than the max Regen setting than the Gen 2 model regardless.
A small advantage, is that more foot brake action will keep the brake disc’s free from rust build up 🤣.
If you have ever driven a Leaf or a classic Ioniq even, it's a million miles away.

No amounts of updates will make this car able to do regen braking when using the ACC system, and if the technitian has told you otherwise, he is a fool :)
Wrong, the ACC is a software controlled system that currently applies the manual braking system to slow the car. So the braking is software linked. A software change could allow it to use regen braking initially and manual braking if required. The only way this is not possible is if the system is mechanically linked, which it isn't.

Wrong, the ACC is a software controlled system that currently applies the manual braking system to slow the car. So the braking is software linked. A software change could allow it to use regen braking initially and manual braking if required. The only way this is not possible is if the system is mechanically linked, which it isn't.

Yes, but likely we are talking about two separate control systems on the car's CANBUS network. It's possible there is an integration limitation on say the ACC system that is difficult to augment in a secondary braking source for the regen.

If it was really easy to fix, no doubt they'd have done it in the big Gen1 fix they did where they ironed out a range of annoyances.

Our trophy uses regen on ACC, the power figure goes into minus figures and the power display screen shows energy going back into the battery so not sure why everyone is saying it doesn’t work? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Our trophy uses regen on ACC, the power figure goes into minus figures and the power display screen shows energy going back into the battery so not sure why everyone is saying it doesn’t work? 🤷🏼‍♂️
That's interesting, as all the posts so far have been about not seeing the figures go into the negative (mine included).

A couple of possibilities come to mind; please don't take this the wrong way, but either you are mistaken (can you safely take a photo?), or your car has had a new update which enables regen braking in ACC (can you confirm if you have had any updates applied?)

Pics or it didn't happen😄

That's interesting, as all the posts so far have been about not seeing the figures go into the negative (mine included).

A couple of possibilities come to mind; please don't take this the wrong way, but either you are mistaken (can you safely take a photo?), or your car has had a new update which enables regen braking in ACC (can you confirm if you have had any updates applied?)
My May 22 ZS Trophy ZS LR, 100% does not regen on ACC, the power meter will go to 0% but never lower on ACC

The thing here is, that most of that software you speak about is inside the radar, ESP brake block and so on, and these systems are bought from companies like Bosch.

So unless the manufacturer is willing to do software upgrades that adds functionality, this will never materialise, and since these systems are made with different features enabled or disabled, and the pricing varies, it is very unlikely that this will ever happen.

Until now, as far as i know, MG has not even made any firmware updates for the infotainment system, this is a massively less complicated system, that they have 100% control over.

My prediction is that they will not suddenly add regenerative braking when on ACC, as a feature on this model.

If you want this, you probably need to buy the 3.gen MG ZS EV.

I agree, I doubt if MG have any real incentive to make the software changes.
The point is, I think, it is possible with reprogramming - albeit unlikely.
Let’s face it, it really should have been set up to use regen from that start.

In Australia, there is an engineer who programmatically made regeneration in Gen1 and posted it on the network. But now he has BYD.

In Australia, there is an engineer who programmatically made regeneration in Gen1 and posted it on the network. But now he has BYD.
Great, but then who's making the business case in MG to spend days doing that and then road testing, etc.? Probably nobody 😄

I think cruise control is a convenience no really it's not the for add economy on the plus side those who use it may experience less advisories MOT time as the brakes are actually getting used

Ultimately it’s all about computers. If, when I applying friction brakes, regen occurs, there is nothing preventing the same occurring under ACC conditions except software restrictions.

Swip the flitch and change the 0 to a 1 and all our issues, well this one, shall go away.

Ultimately it’s all about computers. If, when I applying friction brakes, regen occurs, there is nothing preventing the same occurring under ACC conditions except software restrictions.

Swip the flitch and change the 0 to a 1 and all our issues, well this one, shall go away.
You sound like my boss

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom