Airbag partially deployed whilst parked up after dealer update

Well we have a Tesla too - in my opinion the auto wipers are still not brilliant and the phantom braking will still occur on occasion if on auto pilot. The Auld Langs Syne Light Show update was great though 😆

Regarding my MG4 Trophy - it has been with the dealer since December 15th and remains there. MG can’t see any issues with it but as the dealer concurs - with the white powder appearing on its own around the steering wheel it can’t just be released without further investigation. They are waiting on MG hopefully coming up with an update to fix. The car was perfectly fine before going in for updates and within 24 hours of being returned I had this airbag issue. I know that some of these issues are ‘known’ with fixes promised but with my brand new car I also have the following issues:
Ripple in under tray
faulty heating sensor - no ambient temperature, heating kicks in at 26 but then gets too hot & if you adjust you get too cold so have to settle for too hot or too cold
Aggressive lane assist (which was petrifying) after the update to this it was just as petrifying & tried to drag me on a roundabout
Airbag issue - no idea what this is but powder around steering wheel and plastic pushing out.

This isn’t the only IT issue though. Every time the dealer touches the car I get any one of the following on my MG app:
Electric Power Steering Warning
Illegal Invasion Warning
Brake System Warning
Abnormal alarm

Obviously the Christmas period has caused longer delays in getting things sorted but the dealer have done their best to update us however they can but they don’t have the answers. It is going to take a lot for me to renew my confidence in this car
Your final sentence is really the main challenge.
The more the issues the longer the wait the further the confidence slips.
It’s such a shame.
Some of the issue resolution attempts and ongoing software glitches boarder on incompetence. Comical but not really that funny.
Sadly it sounds like a rejection could be the best route out.

Sorry I completely disagree. I had one of the first uk M3P’s. Whilst yes Tesla were constantly providing OTA updates they didn’t always get it right. Remember the appalling auto wipers? Many attempts to get this right. The horrendously dangerous phantom braking? Again ages to fix. The UI changes that moved everything around and made it harder to see? Yes OTA is brilliant but by no means perfectly tested each version.

What I said was that none of the OTA updates made anything worse which was the concern expressed in the post that I initially replied to. Whilst the auto-wipers and the phantom braking weren't great none of the OTA updates made anything worse. I maintain that the OTA updates were a very positive owner experience.

As for the UI changes that made things harder to see, I can't remember that, it's possibly something that happened after I sold my M3P.

Hi,
Did anything finally get settled about this?
Car getting some updates during a trip to the dealer to polish out some scratches to the black plastic and a chip in the roof, and my notifications have been doing their nut with similar error messages. Got a call to say that it’s going to be in a bit longer and offered a courtesy car. ☹️
703CE07F-1FF8-4D38-B2F8-AD890B2F2650.png

Attachments

• 175A0158-496A-4D77-B6A2-5C3BD0387A51.png
    175A0158-496A-4D77-B6A2-5C3BD0387A51.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Hi there, yes this particular issue (this isn’t the airbag deployment issue I had but another issue that I also encountered 🤦🏼‍♀️ when the car reports lots of abnormal issues to the app) did seem to get resolved and MG provided an update that seemingly fixed this issue. Although to be honest I had a catalogue of issues with my car and sadly the car ended up returned to the dealer so I no longer own an MG4. The dealers have to get authorisation from MG to fix anything on your car or add updates so that makes it a bit of a slow process but there is a fixable update out there for this as this was one issue they did manage to solve for me. Just be sure to ask the dealer to request that MG provide an explanation of what updates they have added so you understand what has happened to your car.

Depending on what modules are being software updated then seeing the airbag warning in the app is not unusual. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back