Airbag partially deployed whilst parked up after dealer update

Not sure why anyone wouldn’t believe me 😳 but here you go. I now think that front left seat module is other European speak for UK driving seat!
26C4DFAB-3B84-416E-8965-BB53B82604ED.jpeg
2E0057A6-B8DF-450F-9787-DC77C1B07332.jpeg

Wowser...don't touch that car. Get it recovered then decide your course of action

I would agree, and for the car to think that conditions have been met to partially trigger an airbag is very worrying.

I think modem airbags can fire in 2 stages (Google it) and the time between each of the firings is determined by the severity of a detected crash. It might be only one of the detonators has activated in this case.

I thought that airbags didn't trigger if the car was stationary, even if fully turned on. That sounds a potentially very dangerous fault presumably just with the airbag rather than the car.

I thought that airbags didn't trigger if the car was stationary, even if fully turned on. That sounds a potentially very dangerous fault presumably just with the airbag rather than the car.
Agreed. If it hasn't been done already I'd suggest making MG UK aware directly and if you're not 100% happy with the response then also reporting to the DVSA. If the airbag went off when driving it would be extremely serious.

That’s why it needs reporting: we don’t know if it was a one off with the airbag or if the module update triggered the problem.

That’s why it needs reporting: we don’t know if it was a one off with the airbag or if the module update triggered the problem.
It could be that the dealer replaced the module and didn't put everything back properly as opposed to an inherent fault with the car. But yes it needs reporting to MG

This needs referred to the DVSA in all honesty. One off or not, if an airbag deploys in someone’s face it won’t be a pleasant experience. If they’re driving at the time the result could quite simply be a tragedy…

perhaps it would be good to ask the dealer what exactly they did in applying the updates. If it was all done via computer then this is concerning, if they really did have to disassemble the steering wheel then something may have gone wrong putting it back together - thats still serious but not likely to affect others.

It’s hard to tell correctly what is going on, but when I compare the two pictures, it looks to me that there is a much larger gap, between the bottom of the air bag cover on the left side, as the right hand side.
The air bag cover, is usually held to the steering wheel, by two or three strong metal retaining clips.
From the photo, could this suggest that maybe one of the clips has released, and this is why the gap is larger on one side to the other maybe ?.
Nobody should be trying to touch / remove this cover with the 12 volt battery still connected, as it could be triggered in error.
IF the clip had only released, then the dealer maybe be able to reseat the air bag cover ?.
But DO NOT be tempted to go anywhere near it yourself PLEASE 🙏.

I agree with Lovemyev

I have messed about with plenty of steering wheels and airbags and that hasnt partially deployed. The airbag would force its way out around a weak area by the MG badge when deploying.

That is just the airbag unit that isnt fully seated/clipped in place. Not saying you should do anything as its all down to the dealer but a good shove will likely clip it back in place.

@Lovemyev and @thestig84

How do you explain the white powder (designed to keep the airbag from sticking when folded) all over the steering wheel? And the warning via iSmart? Something has happened more than the cover coming unclipped.

Agree @BugEyed… the OP reported they were notified from the app that the airbag had deployed and triggered the alarm.

I hope we get an update from the OP and the dealer and MG UK recognise the seriousness of what’s happened here.

Hi all thank you for all the interest. I had quite the day yesterday in trying to sort it all out. I composed an email with photos and forwarded on to the dealer ahead of opening time yesterday morning and followed up with a first thing call in to them. They were pretty taken aback but hadn’t at that point read my email so I was directed to MG Assist as they agreed I should go nowhere near the driving seat and they would not be sending their driver to collect.

MG Assist 🤦🏼‍♀️ first of all 40 mins to speak to somebody. Then it will need to be diagnosed by Roadside. I say Dealer asked me to call Dealer wants it taken to them, its an airbag let‘s save time and just arrange the collection of car to dealer which is only a few miles away. Call centre checked with Manager, Manager said no. Roadside could should be an hour could take 48 hours. Ok but car can’t be locked, car is on electric point and can’t be unhooked we need a hire car to go away. Said was transferring to Manager and I got cut off 🧐 Husband calls and gets better response, Is it an MG3 or MG5 we don’t have an MG4 listed but roadside is called, MG Assist suggest we try and sort hire car elsewhere for now as lots of steps need to be taken before they can start down that road. I remember the Dealer saying if you have issues with the car I’ll try and find you something. The Dealer is the shining light in the day. I call service manager at dealership and he had already been sourcing a car and we have an SGV size car and off we go to collect it. Speaking to staff in dealership they are genuinely stunned & concerned by what has happened to my car, have read email & have reported to MG. MG Assist/AA arrive and finds the secret key in the key fob, prise open the key cover on the drivers side handle and hey presto car can be locked/unlocked and moved.

This MG/AA guy was great but had no clue about the car through no fault of his own and passed it to be driven, we then showed him in detail but as he had no details on the car and couldn’t see alerts he thought a light had been left on and the low voltage battery had gone flat - it had but possibly due to the alerts the car was sending out, car not getting a charge through as it had shut down. We explained that this was not possible in this car once locked but he was also worried about towing it as he could not get any info on the car or its towable capabilities. He then said where is the dealer, will you drive ahead of me and I will drive the car to your dealer - a bit shocked by this and I asked him are you sure knowing that the airbag could go off and he said yes so this is what happened. He followed me to dealer and I drove him back! The car is with our dealer who are going to give it a thorough inspection and will liaise with MG. We got away a little late but we made it. We wait on further news. The summary so far, very happy with our dealer, MG Assist need to update on this car quick smart, a bit of lost confidence in the car naturally but hopeful for a positive outcome with the right support to dealer from MG.

See attached MG App alerts - this is the latest selection in a list of 20 alerts

Attachments

• 7D1A1652-BE47-496F-8F60-15A5933F319D.jpeg
    7D1A1652-BE47-496F-8F60-15A5933F319D.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 228
Hi all thank you for all the interest. I had quite the day yesterday in trying to sort it all out. I composed an email with photos and forwarded on to the dealer ahead of opening time yesterday morning and followed up with a first thing call in to them. They were pretty taken aback but hadn’t at that point read my email so I was directed to MG Assist as they agreed I should go nowhere near the driving seat and they would not be sending their driver to collect.

MG Assist 🤦🏼‍♀️ first of all 40 mins to speak to somebody. Then it will need to be diagnosed by Roadside. I say Dealer asked me to call Dealer wants it taken to them, its an airbag let‘s save time and just arrange the collection of car to dealer which is only a few miles away. Call centre checked with Manager, Manager said no. Roadside could should be an hour could take 48 hours. Ok but car can’t be locked, car is on electric point and can’t be unhooked we need a hire car to go away. Said was transferring to Manager and I got cut off 🧐 Husband calls and gets better response, Is it an MG3 or MG5 we don’t have an MG4 listed but roadside is called, MG Assist suggest we try and sort hire car elsewhere for now as lots of steps need to be taken before they can start down that road. I remember the Dealer saying if you have issues with the car I’ll try and find you something. The Dealer is the shining light in the day. I call service manager at dealership and he had already been sourcing a car and we have an SGV size car and off we go to collect it. Speaking to staff in dealership they are genuinely stunned & concerned by what has happened to my car, have read email & have reported to MG. MG Assist/AA arrive and finds the secret key in the key fob, prise open the key cover on the drivers side handle and hey presto car can be locked/unlocked and moved.

This MG/AA guy was great but had no clue about the car through no fault of his own and passed it to be driven, we then showed him in detail but as he had no details on the car and couldn’t see alerts he thought a light had been left on and the low voltage battery had gone flat - it had but possibly due to the alerts the car was sending out, car not getting a charge through as it had shut down. We explained that this was not possible in this car once locked but he was also worried about towing it as he could not get any info on the car or its towable capabilities. He then said where is the dealer, will you drive ahead of me and I will drive the car to your dealer - a bit shocked by this and I asked him are you sure knowing that the airbag could go off and he said yes so this is what happened. He followed me to dealer and I drove him back! The car is with our dealer who are going to give it a thorough inspection and will liaise with MG. We got away a little late but we made it. We wait on further news. The summary so far, very happy with our dealer, MG Assist need to update on this car quick smart, a bit of lost confidence in the car naturally but hopeful for a positive outcome with the right support to dealer from MG.

See attached MG App alerts - this is the latest selection in a list of 20 alerts
Glad you eventually got the right help from the dealer and MG assist. Amazed the AA man drove your car in that condition, but thankfully nothing further happened . Hope the dealer investigates and finds the cause. Meanwhile, try to enjoy your holiday.

It sounds like you’re steadily making progress @FiFi and the dealer seems on your side, which is great to hear.

Airbag warning messages have been mentioned on here before with the ZS model: Airbag warning in MG iSMART app but no mention of the bag itself deploying to any extent.

I hope you manage to get some sort of explanation and also assurances that things have been resolved properly.

Please let us know how it all works out.

I must admit that as one of the earlier correspondents to this post - it was like no never, this is impossible - so i do send my humble apologies (I've worked in the industry for 35 years!) - never ever heard of this!! - so am just reaching out to say that I feel for you in this situation, how can this happen?, its utterly bizarre! - but is equally worrying for everyone (I'm sure MG technical support are on to this, and are maybe scratching their heads to resolving this?). BW Jonathan

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back