Airbnb

revpeterw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I got told off by airbnb owner for granny charging my MG5, in Oxford. Anyone had this experience? Is there any policy on airbnb. Together with my OVO charge anytime tarriff at home, the whole trip cost me £3 for 300 miles!

Was it an issue with the energy used or where you plugged it in?
We were supplied an extension lead at one place to charge overnight for free.
Another guest house said as we left that we could have plugged in but had already used a free at the time Tesco's.

I'm trying to work out how much it would cost in electricity to put 150 miles of range on, at a normal domestic tariff, and keep dropping stitches. £12? £15?

It's not high finance, but it could be the profit on the rental. I don't know how much these things generally cost, or the profit margin.

I got told off by airbnb owner for granny charging my MG5, in Oxford. Anyone had this experience? Is there any policy on airbnb. Together with my OVO charge anytime tarriff at home, the whole trip cost me £3 for 300 miles!
Is that strictly theft? 🤔
Just asking because I don’t know?

115m divided 3.5m/kwh = 32.86 throw on 5% in ac/dc losses = 34.5 x 35p for a typical domestic supply cost and you're at £12 give or take a bit.

Always best to be courteous and ask and offer to pay. Some rentals are on business tarrifs and those are not pretty right now.

I thought it was about that. My local rapid charger costs about the same as my domestic supply, and it costs me about £10 to put on 65% of battery capacity which is maybe 130 miles if I don't flog it.

Is that strictly theft? 🤔
Just asking because I don’t know?

Yes, it's actually got it's own section in law...

Abstracting Electricity, contrary to section 13 of the Theft Act, 1968. A person who dishonestly uses without due authority or dishonestly causes to be wasted or diverted any electricity on conviction or indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Although it's aimed at those bypassing meters it would still apply should someone report it to the police - which is a tad extreme vs asking them to pay.

I thought it was about that. My local rapid charger costs about the same as my domestic supply, and it costs me about £10 to put on 65% of battery capacity which is maybe 130 miles if I don't flog it.

65% would be 6hr 30m on my home charger I would do this over 2 evenings in the 4 hour window on octopus go at 7.5p/kw = £2.58

Indeed, that's what anyone with a wall box and a variable tariff would do.

Point being that the Airbnb presumably didn't have a wall box or a variable tariff, and the OP used a granny charger at normal domestic rates.

Indeed, that's what anyone with a wall box and a variable tariff would do.

Point being that the Airbnb presumably didn't have a wall box or a variable tariff, and the OP used a granny charger at normal domestic rates.
The point being, they don’t ask!

I would never charge using granny unless given the ok and would aways expect to pay. I have specifically booked an AirBnb with charging availability in Cornwall. It has a 7kw charge point at the owners house next to the converted barn we are staying in. They have a PHEV. The barn actually is part run by solar. I just pay for what I use. The cost being whatever deal they are on on the time.

All this and the issue that you have no idea what you're plugging your granny charger into. The house wiring could be an accident waiting to happen, done by his uncle fred on a wet wednesday afternoon having had a pub lunch :)

Yes, it's actually got it's own section in law...

Abstracting Electricity, contrary to section 13 of the Theft Act, 1968. A person who dishonestly uses without due authority or dishonestly causes to be wasted or diverted any electricity on conviction or indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Although it's aimed at those bypassing meters it would still apply should someone report it to the police - which is a tad extreme vs asking them to pay.
I wouldn't imagine that the owner has told the renter that they couldn't use any electricity at all, obviously. So did they say which items they could plug in or not ? Maybe a razor but not a hair dryer ?
Unless it has been expressly forbidden, there is no abstracting going on and no dishonest use.

Discourteous usage perhaps but I think not illegal.

I'm trying to work out how much it would cost in electricity to put 150 miles of range on, at a normal domestic tariff, and keep dropping stitches. £12? £15?

It's not high finance, but it could be the profit on the rental. I don't know how much these things generally cost, or the profit margin.
You should check out the prices, £12 isn't going to make much of a dent in the profit.

Maybe the owner didn't know how much the car would cost to charge on the granny charger. I still think it's rude and inconsiderate. Ask nicely, explain how much it will help with the logistics of the journey, and offer to pay that £12. Oh and keep a very beady eye on the house wiring.

I'm thinking, it would take a very long time on a granny charger to put that much range on a car, so the car must have been plugged in for ages.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom