All Android users, advice please

STG

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Calling all Android users,

Long story short.... Bought MG4 Trophy, my iPhone played up and kept disconnecting every day so bought Android Google Pixel 7a and bluetooth is rock solid now.

OK, so can I ask you all what music app do you have on your Android devices to play music over bluetooth (Not over Android Auto)

I have a slight problem is that even though my MG will play music over bluetooth from my Pixel it can not list the music tracks at all. On the infotainment music screen when in bluetooth mode, the left hand side where the tracks should be listed is just a big bluetooth icon. If I tap the left hand side of the screen it then say's it can't access the playlist.

Is there a setting I need to set to allow the tracks to be shown or given permissions.

I have checked the bluetooth settings on my Pixel and everything is ticked for the connection to the car. So I am wondering if it's the choice of music player I choose on the Pixel that is incompatible with the MG software? I tried AIMP but still the same, no tracks listed, so I now tried Musicolet app but again nothing is shown on the screen. (Remember the MG can play the tracks and I can skip to next track etc OK)

I tried looking but it seems the Pixel does not come with a default music player hence why I added one. I also wondered if I put my music files in the right location on the Pixel, I place the mp3 all in the Pixel | Music folder.

Music was OK and the tracks were all listed when I had the iPhone connected so I know it's not a fault with the MG in theory

Thanks for any help

The Android phone will use the same app (if AA compatible) regardless of how you play it ... AA in car, BT in car, BT via headphones, via built-in speakers or wired headphones.

I have used the Rocket Player app for years. (I paid the fee for the ad-free update). For a while (last year) an update had broken its capability to read from my phone's SD card so I switched to the Musicolet app which worked well. Recently though I've gone back to RP as it has fixed the SD card reading issue.

I usually have my phone plugged in, so music appears via the AA feed/input. However if I don't plug it in I can still player music via the BT feed/input. The only thing I recall doing on my phone was to ensure that all the boxes were ticked under the BT profile ... Phone calls, Media audio, and Contact sharing. I don't remember doing anything special in the app.

I use Musicolet and it works fine.
When you connect your phone, check the notifications on it. You should see AA settings which allows you to decide which apps are available. You may also have to alter the USB connection settings in another notification
My guide has further details MG4 Trophy - a Guide

Spotify is my default.

Flawless on cable or Bluetooth.

Selected via screen or voice.
but do you see the playlist when connected with bluetooth? I must say I hadn't bothered with this as I normally use AA, but I've tried Spotify and Amazon this afternoon with a BT connection and they work fine but don't show any playlist to pick from. I've also tried a few different AVRCP versions from the developers menu on my Pixel 7 and they didn't seem to make any difference either.

Thanks for the replies, when on Android Auto it all works fine and shows the track listings but most times when I am in the car it's not worth plugging into Android Auto when I am just going 3 miles etc.

I will recheck all the notifications etc tomorrow morning as it's turning a bit cold and wet to start playing with the car.

The stock Samsung Music Player works, but i doubt it would even be allowed on a Pixel?

I use YouTube music, all my music library is uploaded there so I can listen to my own stuff without having to rely on some algorithm or having them on my device. The UI needs work though, if you want to listen to Van Halen or ZZTop there's no shortcut but a lot of scrolling down the list of artists.

I've got a pixel6a and use ( mostly) youtube music and playlists. I use VLC for mixes. Both work fine with AA. Don't use Bluetooth as I got into a real knicker twisted situation with my previous car (Kia Soul), being unable to delete Bluetooth device once registered and the system forever trying to trump AA with Bluetooth which was a pia when trying to charge the phone.
I'm sure it'd be fine on the MG but, y'know 🤔

Everything seems all setup ok but just does not work.

I did notice that in the phone's bluetooth section toggling the media files permissions on/off would show that the connection was ok as soon as I toggled the media files off the infotainment display would show that the phone needs connecting and toggling it back it would say "Can't access the playlists"
I even tried changing all the different "Audio Device Types" as well to see if it made a difference but it did not.
I tried Rocket Player but made no difference.

thanks all for helping

It may be worth trying a different Bluetooth AVRCP version. You can change this in Android in Developer Options / Bluetooth AVRCP Version. I believe, though, that the amount of meta data that is displayed will depend on the MG end and what level of support they have implemented. Nb going "back" to a lower version number may also work, though 1.6 is the "richest" regarding track info.

I am just browsing the forum here for AA / music issues as my phone / the car will sometimes just have issues and stop playign music giving a generic error like "(app) is not responding". This seems to occur mostly when playing music stored locally on the phone, although it has happened with streaming like the BBC Sounds app. Does my head in. Recently it's happening with Musicolet and doing it no matter what (unplug/reconnect). I'd use the BT but I usually have the map on (hence USB connection) to check traffic on my journey. Considering putting a load of music on a USB but then I read that the music gets listed akll in one folder so not very user-friendly. Any thoughts/similar experiences? (Perhaps it's just my budget android phone not coping!)

Also use Musicolet.
And do you find it ever does the "musicolet is not responding" at all? I wonder if I'm missing something obvious (e.g. I just went out to the car to play around with different cables etc and turned off USB debugging. Obviously right now it's working... but maybe with maps running etc it's just too much for my phone).

Also, on the same thread as this - just tried using USB-C to USB-C with my phone in the car and it said to use another USB port - does that mean the phone can ONLY be connected itno the USB-A port? (I had a usb stick ready with music so if that's the case and the phone can ONLY be in the USB-A port I'll have to get a USB-C to USB-A female adaptor - unless anyone knows a better idea?).

And do you find it ever does the "musicolet is not responding" at all? I wonder if I'm missing something obvious (e.g. I just went out to the car to play around with different cables etc and turned off USB debugging. Obviously right now it's working... but maybe with maps running etc it's just too much for my phone).
As long as the phone has connected to the car, it works. As I have an SE, I don't have wireless Android Auto, so I added an Android AI box on USB port A, and now my phone connects wirelessly. The Android AI box can be used independantly if you wish (needs SIM card), and can also act as a WiFi hotspot in the car for the passengers (again, requires SIM)

Oh cool yes I have the standard edition so no wireless AA. Hadn't even considered that. Could you share a link to the android box you've bought? (I've ordered a usb c flash drive for local music but that would still be interesting).

It may be worth trying a different Bluetooth AVRCP version. You can change this in Android in Developer Options / Bluetooth AVRCP Version. I believe, though, that the amount of meta data that is displayed will depend on the MG end and what level of support they have implemented. Nb going "back" to a lower version number may also work, though 1.6 is the "richest" regarding track info.
Tried changing the AVRCP version plus a few other thing and no difference. Still can bring up a list of tracks, however when in AA mode (plugged in to USB A) it does show the playlists etc.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Oh cool yes I have the standard edition so no wireless AA. Hadn't even considered that. Could you share a link to the android box you've bought? (I've ordered a usb c flash drive for local music but that would still be interesting).
Bought mine from eBay about a year ago. The version I bought isn't available anymore. Mine was runing Android 12, but ones for sale now come with Android 13. Link below for an example. I paid £145 for mine, but these are cheaper.

They are also available from AliExpress at a much lower price.

CarlinKit T-Box Plus Wireless CarPlay Adapter Android 13 CarPlay & Android Auto | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back