All this talk about LKA. I'm worried...

pomegran

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

We're picking up our new MG4 Trophy LR next week, and I'm really concerned about LKA issues I'm reading. My wife will mostly drive it on A roads to take our daughter to school everyday, and to be honest, I'm really worried.

Am I being over concerned? Could it end up throwing her into an oncoming vehicle or a ditch?

Sorry to raise it, but I'm not sure what to expect!

Thanks

Nothing to be worried about, we are A and B roads all around, and to be fair it's worse on the windy B's.

It's a lot better on the new cars then the original variation

Either
a) she will be ok with a beep and a slight tug on the wheel when crossing over the line (if holding the wheel fairly firmly it won't deviate)
or
b) when she gets in the car, she'll press the 3 buttons required to turn it off before setting off, and it will become part of the starting the car ritual, as much as putting on the seat belt.

On well marked roads it works really well.

On country roads I dont feel like it's dangerous. Mostly a gentle nudge to keep me in place. I don't feel like it's trying to push me left or right. Mostly annoying at best, but I usually leave it on. At longer distances I might turn it off.

The LKA on later MG4s seems to be much better and even some of us who have the earlier cars don't find it as aggressive as some say, probably because our dealers did all the updates during the PDI.

You are aware it might be a problem so for the first couple of times try it. If you find it's too aggressive switch it off every time and let your dealer know, there might be a software update they missed.

I turned this feature off in my 2022 MG ZS EV
Its too agressive, with the potential, in my view, to be dangerous
Is that even after your dealer has updated the software and recalibrated it?

If you don't like it, it is simple enough to turn it off when you get in the car. Just make sure the car is in READY mode (that it has booted up both screens and you've pressed the brake pedal briefly) and then go into the car menus and disable it.

Once you have done that a few times it will become second nature.

We've just taken delivery of a new Trophy and LKA hasn't generally been a problem, although it can occasionally twitch the steering. It only cuts in at about 35mph, so it shouldn't prove a problem on the school run.
My wife encountered a problem when turning into a road with a delivery lorry parked on the wrong side of the road, facing her. The car anticipated a collision and stopped dead! This has been reported elsewhere on the forum. However, looking on the positive side, it could have been a child running into the road.

We've just taken delivery of a new Trophy and LKA hasn't generally been a problem, although it can occasionally twitch the steering. It only cuts in at about 35mph, so it shouldn't prove a problem on the school run.
My wife encountered a problem when turning into a road with a delivery lorry parked on the wrong side of the road, facing her. The car anticipated a collision and stopped dead! This has been reported elsewhere on the forum. However, looking on the positive side, it could have been a child running into the road.
Yes, this is the automatic emergency braking (AEB), also known as part of front collision avoidance (FCA). There are settings for what this system does and how sensitive it but they also reset on every journey.

I just posted this on another thread.

I am owner of SE SR from one of the first batch. I switched off LKA on Day 2 and it stayed off till I had a software update last week. Now the LKA defaults to On every time. However after a few days of driving on mixed roads, I am pleased that LKA hasn't tried to kill me and I don't have to fight with the car anymore. I haven't bothered with switching off LKA now as it is much better now.

What is the latest version of the software? I could check with the dealer to ensure it has it installed
Unfortunately you can't find out. The only software version you can see is for the infotainment screen but not for the other modules that are in the car.

Maybe you should test drive one on the route you use?
Better you (potentially) lose the deposit if you hate it rather than regretting it after 🤷‍♂️
I know my wife won’t entertain going into a screen every journey, at best she will press a physical button (like the Kia we had on holiday)
So her next car will be dictated by having a physical LKA off button, or the ability to use an OBD dongle to go into the car settings and opt for off all the time (VAG cars can do this, some dealers will do it for you via the official VAG software)

Hi,

We're picking up our new MG4 Trophy LR next week, and I'm really concerned about LKA issues I'm reading. My wife will mostly drive it on A roads to take our daughter to school everyday, and to be honest, I'm really worried.

Am I being over concerned? Could it end up throwing her into an oncoming vehicle or a ditch?

Thanks
Please don't worry too much about it. In MG Pilot settings you can set the Alert Sensitivity to low and it stays at that.
I actually like it because it makes you concentrate more on indicating before you change lanes, which is what all good drivers should do and keeping the car in the middle of the lane.

I’m coming from a Kia Niro hybrid no elec to plug in. I came from an older car without bells and whistles to the 70Kia.
First time experiencing LKA and it may as well have been me complaining about the MGs LKA all above. I can remember saying it’s going to kill me i!! t’s going to kill me because I try and go round parked vehicles and it pushes me back in. This was a min gripe until I pushed the LKA button off. 3 yrs later it’s hardly noticeable and have used it on motorways and any time I’m a little tired. If mG4 is same I’d say keep tight hold til you’re used to your car. I pick mine up Oct 23 and yeh I know there’s a lot to wonder about but I bet it’s the same on any forum. I voiced my concerns about it being in the dealership so won’t have any updates and they replies saying all updates will be seen to once they do the pre delivery inspections so hopefully 🤞
What I will say is in my 8hrs of driving M60+ motorways and around York Thursday I saw only one elec car being recovered and there were A LOT of breakdowns and that was a VW ID something or other. Sorry if gone off track but good luck

Hi,

Thanks
I really don’t see the worry people have. Just turn it off

Thanks for all your comments. Of course, this will be the first car we've owned with lane assist so it would be a new experience with any car, not just the MG.

Just looking forward to getting it now. We're paying 9k more for the new MG vs the 2nd hand, 3 year old Kona and ID3 we originally looked at. Seemed like a no brainer - let's just hope all the amazing reviews and awards it's getting are right 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back