Always water on the door hinges.

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
This is poor. Water is always gathering around the car hinges, and freezes when cold outside. When I open the door the ice will break, and everything will crunch and squeak like hell.

Attachments

• IMG_6142.jpeg
    IMG_6142.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 132
I've sprayed mine with silicon. I've also smeared silicon grease around the door rubbers where they make contact and the charging flap. I've also siliconed the recharging flap locking pin and socket. No squeaks or crunching.

I've sprayed mine with silicon. I've also smeared silicon grease around the door rubbers where they make contact and the charging flap. I've also siliconed the recharging flap locking pin and socket. No squeaks or crunching.
Did you do this because you were bothered with the same issue?

This is poor. Water is always gathering around the car hinges, and freezes when cold outside. When I open the door the ice will break, and everything will crunch and squeak like hell.
Check all the seals.
Is this after it has rained heavily?
Is your car parked on an incline whether facing up or down?

After washing either of my cars, by hand and with hose pipe not a jet wash, I always open all doors boot and bonnet and thoroughly dry off the seals and the bodywork between the seals and check for any cracks or loose points.
Neither car is worse than the other or any other I have ever had therefore I wonder if you should go check.
And I don’t have a particular problem of water ingress on a rainy day, but as an example, the boot lid collects a fair amount around the edge after I have washed the car. Same around the boot hinge and the boot lock: if not dried properly, this can over time cause issues.
A little water will not be a problem, but a lot of it left standing will be an issue on any car.
Granted some are better sealed than others, or more heavily treated against corrosion, but this should not be left to rot in any case.

Check all the seals.
Is this after it has rained heavily?
Is your car parked on an incline whether facing up or down?

After washing either of my cars, by hand and with hose pipe not a jet wash, I always open all doors boot and bonnet and thoroughly dry off the seals and the bodywork between the seals and check for any cracks or lose points.
Neither car is worse than the other or any other I have ever had therefore I wonder if you should go check.
And I don’t have a particular problem of water ingress on a rainy day, but as an example, the boot lid collects a fair amount around the edge after I have washed the car. Same around the boot hinge and the boot lock: if not dried properly, this can over time cause issues.
A little water will not be a problem, but a lot of it left standing will be an issue on any car.
Granted some are better sealed than others, or more heavily treated against corrosion, but this should not be left to rot in any case.
I'm pretty sure every MG4 has this issue, as basically all the hinges on all the doors get a bit wet. It's just much, much colder here, so I probably notice it faster than others. I will try some white lithium grease and see if the problems goes away.

After washing either of my cars, by hand and with hose pipe not a jet wash, I always open all doors boot and bonnet and thoroughly dry off the seals and the bodywork between the seals and check for any cracks or lose points.

As a bit of car detailing enthusiast I can thoroughtly recommnend one of these for drying off all the nooks and crannies in cold weather after a wash. Mines been faultless and even been run over 😂
Its pretty powerful too, surprised it does'nt blow pets away 🤣🤣

Amazon product ASIN B07HF9WTJ6

Thanks for the tip. Got some of this in this for the job (hinges and catches etc.) :-

Amazon product ASIN B004NE8448

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel