• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

An update on the increasing play on my loose steering column :)

No this is for the creaking noise in the dash
If the noise you have is a clicking / creaking sound, that appear to be emulate from the top of the dash panel, where the top of the dash meets the bottom of the front windscreen glass.
That can be heard when travelling over a uneven broken tarmac road and appears worst when the outside temperature is cold.
Then it is extremely likely you have the same common condition that we are referring too.
Of course it could be something totally different, but this issue has been reported a LOT by ZS EV owners.
“A” pillar trim rattle is another common reported issue, but the rapid creaking / snapping noise that can be heard from the top of the dash area, is likely to be the famous scuttle panel gasket fouling on the outside of the windscreen glass.
Applying a spray lub between the rubber / hard plastic gasket will give you a quick and easy answer to if this is indeed you issue.
Better than having somebody pulling your car apart, trying to locate this problem.
Causing more problems than you started with, by breaking trim clips etc.
The best long term solution to this irritating noise, is to remove the scuttle panel completely from the car and apply some type of Teflon or silent tape, to the gasket and refit to the car.
This should prevent a hard foul condition / bridge between the gasket and the glass.
The lub spray just confirms the problem and offers a quick and easy fix that can be carried out without a trip to the dealers and is about 95% effective.
Unless you like offering you car to the dealer to fix of course ?.
Not me that’s for sure, I hate having to require intervention from the dealer.
I just find the whole experience hard work and stressful.

So I have an update on the increased play in my steering. If you look back on my previous posts in this thread, you will see a detailed description on how to tighten the bolts on the steering column and under the scuttle panel.
Around 6 months ago I had alot of play in my steering wheel along with an annoying creaking noise or knock. I fixed it then by tightening the two bolts as previously discussed. The noise was gone completely and all was good. Until last week the noise came back but not as bad. So I removed the wipers and scuttle panel as posted a few days ago. The noise seemed to have been gone, but it was still there intermittently. So today I went at the bolts under the dash/on the steering column. I have a much improved method of accessing these now, rather than the longer process where more panels had to be removed. This new process only requires three philips head screws to be removed. One at the bottom of the steering wheel cover and the other two directly behind the steering wheel, the car will need to be on for these two as the steering wheel needs to be turned 90 degrees to see the screws.
Then the top part of the cover pops off and can be stuck up out of the way. The bottom will drop down just enough to get a 13mm socket in, if you release the steering wheel adjustment lever.
I managed to get a half turn more on each of the green marked bolts. I have driven the car for 5 hrs and no noise. I wonder if the noise came back as we are now in to warmer weather and that somehow caused it to loosen?
View attachment 2654View attachment 2655View attachment 2656View attachment 2657View attachment 2655View attachment 2657View attachment 2659View attachment 2660
Hi CDR, I purchased my ZS EV about a month ago now ( 6500 miles ) and have become increasingly aware of this intermittent click. I'm thinking of calling the dealer but reading some of the experiences people have had I fear I might be fobbed off. I'm not sure whether to have a go myself and feel it's something that should be done by the dealer under warranty.Has your problem definitely gone since tightening this one bolt ? I'm not sure what the purpose of this bolt is - what would there be a danger in leaving it is and putting up with the click ? Do you think this is a manufacturing fault or just poor assembly ?

Hi CDR, I purchased my ZS EV about a month ago now ( 6500 miles ) and have become increasingly aware of this intermittent click. I'm thinking of calling the dealer but reading some of the experiences people have had I fear I might be fobbed off. I'm not sure whether to have a go myself and feel it's something that should be done by the dealer under warranty.Has your problem definitely gone since tightening this one bolt ? I'm not sure what the purpose of this bolt is - what would there be a danger in leaving it is and putting up with the click ? Do you think this is a manufacturing fault or just poor assembly ?
I think it is poor assembly. My dealer MG Chorley was aware of it and were happy to repair or replace under warranty. But I got so fed up with this fault and other that I traded it in.

So I have an update on the increased play in my steering. If you look back on my previous posts in this thread, you will see a detailed description on how to tighten the bolts on the steering column and under the scuttle panel.
Around 6 months ago I had alot of play in my steering wheel along with an annoying creaking noise or knock. I fixed it then by tightening the two bolts as previously discussed. The noise was gone completely and all was good. Until last week the noise came back but not as bad. So I removed the wipers and scuttle panel as posted a few days ago. The noise seemed to have been gone, but it was still there intermittently. So today I went at the bolts under the dash/on the steering column. I have a much improved method of accessing these now, rather than the longer process where more panels had to be removed. This new process only requires three philips head screws to be removed. One at the bottom of the steering wheel cover and the other two directly behind the steering wheel, the car will need to be on for these two as the steering wheel needs to be turned 90 degrees to see the screws.
Then the top part of the cover pops off and can be stuck up out of the way. The bottom will drop down just enough to get a 13mm socket in, if you release the steering wheel adjustment lever.
I managed to get a half turn more on each of the green marked bolts. I have driven the car for 5 hrs and no noise. I wonder if the noise came back as we are now in to warmer weather and that somehow caused it to loosen?
View attachment 2654View attachment 2655View attachment 2656View attachment 2657View attachment 2655View attachment 2657View attachment 2659View attachment 2660
Fantastic “How To” guide, registered just to say a massive thank you, this has sorted my clunk right out!

Hi All, I have the same issue with mine and I asked my dealer to take a look and they said the steering column needed replacing. This warranty work has been approved and I'm waiting for them to contact me when the part is in stock.

We have a similar issue. On Friday whilst coming down a steep hill, our steering became clunky and developed about 3 inches of play in the steering. This got steadily worse and we were so concerned that we limped home at no miles an hour. Thank god we did! We have immediately rung the RAC and a knowledgeable chap arrived. He quickly realised the problem was that a pin in the steering column intermediary shaft, the universal joint has failed. He tried to repair it temporarily so we could limp to the dealer, however, the car was completely unsafe to drive so he towed it to the dealer.
As if we weren`t already gutted that our 8-month-old ev with only 6500 miles on the clock had broken steering, our dealer called today to inform us that the new part was ordered this morning, but is on backorder and will not arrive before the end of Dec! So now we have a gas-guzzling hire car until after Christmas. I only wish we had joined this forum prior to buying our car. We just wanted to let everyone on here know our diagnosis so that nobody loses their steering completely.

We have a similar issue. On Friday whilst coming down a steep hill, our steering became clunky and developed about 3 inches of play in the steering. This got steadily worse and we were so concerned that we limped home at no miles an hour. Thank god we did! We have immediately rung the RAC and a knowledgeable chap arrived. He quickly realised the problem was that a pin in the steering column intermediary shaft, the universal joint has failed. He tried to repair it temporarily so we could limp to the dealer, however, the car was completely unsafe to drive so he towed it to the dealer.
As if we weren`t already gutted that our 8-month-old ev with only 6500 miles on the clock had broken steering, our dealer called today to inform us that the new part was ordered this morning, but is on backorder and will not arrive before the end of Dec! So now we have a gas-guzzling hire car until after Christmas. I only wish we had joined this forum prior to buying our car. We just wanted to let everyone on here know our diagnosis so that nobody loses their steering completely.
Unfortunately it’s the worst steering I have EVER experienced in a car and I have driven hundreds of cars. May just have been mine but it was awful, always felt like it was going to break.

Hi Soul, not sure if you seen our YT video on the problem with ours. Other than steering it's a great car.

Many, or even most, cars have a universal joint in the steering so that is not a problem in itself. It could be a poorly specified part or just one faulty item. It would be useful to know whether there have been other failures of that part?

Many, or even most, cars have a universal joint in the steering so that is not a problem in itself. It could be a poorly specified part or just one faulty item. It would be useful to know whether there have been other failures of that part?
Hi Tim, assuming was the same uni joint as in our video above. Cheers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom