An update on the increasing play on my loose steering column :)

I just removed the top of the cowling behind the steering wheel and managed to get a 13mm spanner on the green bolt (as mentioned in another thread) and turned it about half a turn, problem solved no play, now lets see how long that lasts. (y)
The bolt head on the other side looked as if it was recessed in to the black plastic on mine.

Just another update. I posted on this thread a few months ago a detailed step by step how to tighten the bolts under the steering column to stop the knocking. Well, the knocking came back a very small bit, so I decided to tighten the bolt under the scuttle panel under the wipers. I got two full turns on the bolt and the knocking is completely gone. This was a pretty easy process.
1, disconnect the wipers
2, take off the screws holding the scuttle panel to the car.
3, slowly work the panel off and sit it on the engine compartment. That way you wont have to disconnected the pipe for the windscreen washer jets.
4, tighten the bolt as seen in the picture, a 13mm socket will do the job. Dont over do it. Be careful.
5, stick a bit of grease on the wiper rotator thread before you put the wiper back on.
6, put everything back the same way you took it off.

Cheers 20210331_164721.jpg

I asked my dealer to investigate play in my steering column. When pulling out of car parks at an angle or going over bumps sometimes it feels like there is side to side play.
I knew I wasn't imagining it and feel vindicated after reading this post. The dealer said the mechanic could find no fault.

So I have an update on the increased play in my steering. If you look back on my previous posts in this thread, you will see a detailed description on how to tighten the bolts on the steering column and under the scuttle panel.
Around 6 months ago I had alot of play in my steering wheel along with an annoying creaking noise or knock. I fixed it then by tightening the two bolts as previously discussed. The noise was gone completely and all was good. Until last week the noise came back but not as bad. So I removed the wipers and scuttle panel as posted a few days ago. The noise seemed to have been gone, but it was still there intermittently. So today I went at the bolts under the dash/on the steering column. I have a much improved method of accessing these now, rather than the longer process where more panels had to be removed. This new process only requires three philips head screws to be removed. One at the bottom of the steering wheel cover and the other two directly behind the steering wheel, the car will need to be on for these two as the steering wheel needs to be turned 90 degrees to see the screws.
Then the top part of the cover pops off and can be stuck up out of the way. The bottom will drop down just enough to get a 13mm socket in, if you release the steering wheel adjustment lever.
I managed to get a half turn more on each of the green marked bolts. I have driven the car for 5 hrs and no noise. I wonder if the noise came back as we are now in to warmer weather and that somehow caused it to loosen?
20210403_125611.jpg20210403_125501.jpg20210403_125316.jpg20210403_125020.jpg20210403_125501.jpg20210403_125020.jpg20210403_124014.jpg20210403_123840.jpg

Attachments

• 20210403_124620.jpg
    20210403_124620.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 302
Interesting. What size are the bolts? They shouldn’t work loose.

Ok. So not a small bolt. Any locking or spring washers?

Hi @CDR
How did you find getting the wiper arms off there shaft's ?.
Did you need to use a puller to get them off ?.
When replacing the scuttle, did you take the opportunity to apply some "Silent Tape" to the rubber seal that contacts the bottom of the front windscreen, before refitting the scuttle ?.
A good cure to stop the "Ticking / Creaking" noise that appears to emanate from the front of the dash board when travelling over a broken service.
Also, the noise is more evident in colder weather conditions.

Hi @CDR
How did you find getting the wiper arms off there shaft's ?.
Did you need to use a puller to get them off ?.
When replacing the scuttle, did you take the opportunity to apply some "Silent Tape" to the rubber seal that contacts the bottom of the front windscreen, before refitting the scuttle ?.
A good cure to stop the "Ticking / Creaking" noise that appears to emanate from the front of the dash board when travelling over a broken service.
Also, the noise is more evident in colder weather conditions.
Wiper arms were not too bad, one came off as soon as I loosened the bolt. And the other one I had to give it a few taps of a hammer on to the threaded part, it then popped off.
No I didnt apply any silent tape. I didnt notice any noise from it, so I didnt feel the need.
Yea I just had to learn to live with the plastic type creaking from the dash on uneven surfaces

I can’t see that coming undone on it’s own once it’s tightened properly. Looks very secure 🙂
I suspect the annoying click/knocking noise comes from metal on metal moving against one another really slightly. And by tightening the hell out of it prevents this rubbing.
I think if it comes back I will remove the bolts and put a washer of some sort between the metals, maybe a rubber or fiber washer?

No I didnt apply any silent tape. I didnt notice any noise from it, so I didnt feel the need.
Yea I just had to learn to live with the plastic type creaking from the dash on uneven surfaces
The “Creaking / Ticking” noise you can hear from the front of the dash, is the hard rubber gasket on the wiper scuttle panel fouling on the glass.
If you feel like you want to solve the problem at a later date, then silent tape is the way to go.

Hi, very helpful comments on this forum and really useful as I took my ZS EV to my MG garage today to ask them to investigate a. Ticking / clicking noise in the steering column and b. Noisy scuttle plate. Both have emerged in the last 4-6 weeks and my car has done roughly 6,000 miles. To be fair to the garage (A.E. Wilcox, Wickwar, south Glos) they were really good and have ordered new parts. Car to be booked in once parts arrive. I admire those that are brave enough to tackle the issue of the creaks and clicks, but not for me and I would worry about invalidating the warranty.

The “Creaking / Ticking” noise you can hear from the front of the dash, is the hard rubber gasket on the wiper scuttle panel fouling on the glass.
If you feel like you want to solve the problem at a later date, then silent tape is the way to go.
I got some teflon tape today and am going to apply it tomorrow and report back. There is a creaking noise coming from the front of the dash since I removed the scuttle panel to tighten the bolt for the other noise🤣

I just removed the top of the cowling behind the steering wheel and managed to get a 13mm spanner on the green bolt (as mentioned in another thread) and turned it about half a turn, problem solved no play, now lets see how long that lasts. (y)
The bolt head on the other side looked as if it was recessed in to the black plastic on mine.
Well that lasted about 2 hours of driving, the knock is back. :(
I think I'll let the dealer sort it now.

Well that lasted about 2 hours of driving, the knock is back. :(
I think I'll let the dealer sort it now.
Well at least you know that thats your problem. You have to really tighten it. Also tighten the one under the scuttle panel. The noise in my car is completely gone now

I have been to two separate MG dealerships about the clicking in the steering wheel and they don’t have a clue what to do! Car is on finance so i am trying to reject the car as a brand new car should not be doing this. No garages are offering to find a fix and have no idea what’s causing it. Anybody have any other suggestions or fixes of any recommendations on what to do next ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom