An update on the increasing play on my loose steering column :)

I tightened those ones in october and the noise was gone until a few weeks ago, so I then did the one under the scuttle panel and gave the two under the steering wheel another squeeze and the noise is completely gone again. Some folks reported that the scuttle panel one did the trick. I personally think the ones under the steering wheel are easier to tighten, especially following my updated method where you don't need to take off the side panel or the panel at the bottom, and thus the bonnet pull switch etc.

I tightened those ones in october and the noise was gone until a few weeks ago, so I then did the one under the scuttle panel and gave the two under the steering wheel another squeeze and the noise is completely gone again. Some folks reported that the scuttle panel one did the trick. I personally think the ones under the steering wheel are easier to tighten, especially following my updated method where you don't need to take off the side panel or the panel at the bottom, and thus the bonnet pull switch etc.
Could you also feel a click whilst holding the steering wheel?

I have been to two separate MG dealerships about the clicking in the steering wheel and they don’t have a clue what to do! Car is on finance so i am trying to reject the car as a brand new car should not be doing this. No garages are offering to find a fix and have no idea what’s causing it. Anybody have any other suggestions or fixes of any recommendations on what to do next ?
Some have resolved there issues on this forum by the tightening of a couple of bolts in the bulk head.

Yes I could feel a kind of knock
Ok- sorry to be a pain but just for ease, can you just summarise what bolts etc need tightening so I can show this to the garage for them to rectify it as they don’t have a clue and I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing this myself.

Ok- sorry to be a pain but just for ease, can you just summarise what bolts etc need tightening so I can show this to the garage for them to rectify it as they don’t have a clue and I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing this myself.
Page 4 of this thread, post #62 & #64.

I have pics in this thread. There are two coloured green. One each side of the steering wheel. Just pop off the cam shell top and bottom and you can access them.

How did you get on

I got some teflon tape today and am going to apply it tomorrow and report back. There is a creaking noise coming from the front of the dash since I removed the scuttle panel to tighten the bolt for the other noise🤣
Spray teflon on it and it is gone

For the creaking noise, spray wd40 or Silicon spray or teflon at not to much,

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_103202_548.jpg
    IMG_20210707_103202_548.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 232
For the creaking noise, spray wd40 or Silicon spray or teflon at not to much,
WD40 will only cure it for a very short time, it is a penetrating spray.
Silicon is a better option really, get the nozzle behind the plastic / hard rubber gasket a go right across the scuttle panel.

Sprays aren't a good long term option. Apply a thin foam or felt material backed tape to the original seal having taken off the scuttle panel and cleaned it, then refit, for a permanent solution to the issue.

I used WD-40 DRY PTFE spray from Screwfix it's for glass , plastic , metal etc .It's a brilliant lubricant , only had to use it once 6 month's ago only a 5 minute job. Use a plastic trim tool behind the windscreen trim rubber to hold it away from the screen enough to get the spray extension tube in and pull it along the trim spraying at the same time job done , because it is dry PTFE it creates very little mess 👍🙂

Attachments

• ae235.jpeg
    ae235.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 204
I gave my scuttle plate a good spray with Silicone WD-40 about 6 months ago and the creaking has not returned since. I did not even bother lifting the rubber seal as I thought that being liquid gravity would help it get under it. 🤷‍♂️

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom