Android Auto Assistant Not Working....but only when in motion..........

KevNoRev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anybody else had this issue?
I can't for the life of me work out why this is happening.
Is it a setting somewhere that I need to change?
Any suggestions gratefully received....

Android Auto, (MG4 LR Trophy).
I have a new 3.1 lead and this connects 100% ok. And all the features on android Auto work absolutely fine......
HOWEVER! When stationery the Google assistant works perfectly, (using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) but when in motion the Google assistant does not work, (again using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) it activates the Google assistant, so the box pops up on the screen but the coloured dots stay as dots as if the Google assistant is not listening and then after a second or two Google assistant turns off/deactivates and the Google assistant box drops down off of the screen. Has anybody else experienced this?? If so, any suggestions on a fix.....?
Many thanks.

I too find AA and the use of the mic buttons unpredictable at times. It's also not always clear to me which device/software is placing a call: my phone via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Android Auto or the car's own connection.....

I haven't used AA but looking in the app settings on my phone there is an option to switch Hey Google on and off while driving.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have seen this setting and made sure it's selected to on but seems to make no difference to the issue I am having.

I had the same problem, but it randomly seems to have solved itself now -- I plugged in my sister's iPhone to test that and Siri worked under carplay in motion, went back to my phone -- didn't work.

Then the next day I was driving and thought I'd try it and it failed on the first attempt but worked on all subsequent ones and has done since, only weird thing being that I have to attempt to use it once first after getting in while driving and it'll fail but all subsequent attempts will be fine.

not going to question it....

I had the same problem, but it randomly seems to have solved itself now -- I plugged in my sister's iPhone to test that and Siri worked under carplay in motion, went back to my phone -- didn't work.

Then the next day I was driving and thought I'd try it and it failed on the first attempt but worked on all subsequent ones and has done since, only weird thing being that I have to attempt to use it once first after getting in while driving and it'll fail but all subsequent attempts will be fine.

not going to question it....
Thanks. I'll try plugin in my wife's phone to see if that has the same issue. Then go back to my phone and see if the Gremlins have gone away...... Cheers

It's an MG bug that has been reported (at least in my German Forum) on at least three models (I experienced it myself on the MG4 and Marvel R, ZSEV owners report the same).

Basically MG 'locks out' Google Assistant the same way it should for the Keyboard. I don't think there's anything we can do to fix it, other than reporting it to MG and the dealers and hoping for an update, but I'd love to hear some better news such as bfyers report.

It's an MG bug that has been reported (at least in my German Forum) on at least three models (I experienced it myself on the MG4 and Marvel R, ZSEV owners report the same).

Basically MG 'locks out' Google Assistant the same way it should for the Keyboard. I don't think there's anything we can do to fix it, other than reporting it to MG and the dealers and hoping for an update, but I'd love to hear some better news such as bfyers report.
Thanks for your update. I am taking the car down to the dealership early next month so hopefully they will fix it with an update, fingers crossed.

I have a new 3.1 lead and this connects 100% ok. And all the features on android Auto work absolutely fine......
HOWEVER! When stationery the Google assistant works perfectly, (using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) but when in motion the Google assistant does not work, (again using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) it activates the Google assistant, so the box pops up on the screen but the coloured dots stay as dots as if the Google assistant is not listening and then after a second or two Google assistant turns off/deactivates and the Google assistant box drops down off of the screen. Has anybody else experienced this?? If so, any suggestions on a fix.....?
Many thanks.
1. Open Google Maps (on your phone), select settings - Navigation Settings - Disable Play voice over Bluetooth
2. Turn off Bluetooth on the car
3. Turn off 'Hello MG' in the car settings

This allows navigation voice through the car speakers, plus holding down the 'Voice' button (2 seconds) on the steering wheel will bring up Google Assistant so you can speak a command.

I have also got this problem. I have recently moved from the early zs eV to a new model. The Google assistant works fine when stationery but fails when moving. I have found the setting in Google assistant that prevents GA from working when driving. This is set to off but it still prevents use when driving. I can make calls by selecting numbers from the screen but nothing by voice when moving. I think this maybe a Google assistant problem. Further investigation is required. It all worked fine on my old MG zs ev

Ps: holding down the voice button on steering wheel brings up the assistant but instead of vertical coloured lines it shows the coloured circles and does not listen to your voice unless stationery

And that's the oddity ... for me GA works fine (albeit a little slow to kick in after holding the button, and her voice is quiet and none of the suggestions I've read have improved it).

I have also got this problem. I have recently moved from the early zs eV to a new model. The Google assistant works fine when stationery but fails when moving. I have found the setting in Google assistant that prevents GA from working when driving. This is set to off but it still prevents use when driving. I can make calls by selecting numbers from the screen but nothing by voice when moving. I think this maybe a Google assistant problem. Further investigation is required. It all worked fine on my old MG zs ev
Ps: holding down the voice button on steering wheel brings up the assistant but instead of vertical coloured lines it shows the coloured circles and does not listen to your voice unless stationery
I notice from your profile you are driving the ZS but as this is the MG4 forum the software and set-up is different.

Perhaps the facelift ZS uses the same base Infotainment system as the MG4? (As does the facelift MG5).

Many thanks.
I have exactly the same issue. AA voice assistant works perfectly when stationary, but cancels prematurely when moving. It's annoying (but for me doesn't take away from the fact the MG4 is a brilliant car).

Perhaps the facelift ZS uses the same base Infotainment system as the MG4? (As does the facelift MG5).
I think the new zs eV and MG 4 do use the same base infotainment so I would expect MG zs eV owners to suffer the same problem. Does anyone know if the new infotainment system has a secret access to special functions as did the old one. It was possible on the old version to tap the corners of the screen in a certain way and hidden pages came up that allowed tests to be run and also further info about software updates.

Fix for this is to turn off the 'Hello MG' setting in Settings / Voice on the head unit. Then when long pressing the voice assistant button or pressing the mic icon it will activate Google assistant and accept voice commands when moving. Not an issue for the SE variant as that doesn't have voice commands built into the car, so nothing to conflict with Android Auto. You can still use the built in voice commands, but have to activate by quickly pressing the voice assistant button rather than saying 'hello mg'

Are you "long pressing" the voice button? That was what I was doing wrong. Once I started holding it for a couple of seconds it was much more reliable.

Fix for this is to turn off the 'Hello MG' setting in Settings / Voice on the head unit. Then when long pressing the voice assistant button or pressing the mic icon it will activate Google assistant and accept voice commands when moving. Not an issue for the SE variant as that doesn't have voice commands built into the car, so nothing to conflict with Android Auto. You can still use the built in voice commands, but have to activate by quickly pressing the voice assistant button rather than saying 'hello mg'
Unfortunately I cannot find a setting to turn off hello MG on the zs eV trophy connect so there must be some differences in the mg4 settings pages

Factory reset in settings.

This happened to me and I'd settled for it. But then doing a reset for another problem has fixed android auto problem too.

Unfortunately the mgZs eV trophy does not have a factory reset in settings or a hello MG off switch anywhere as far as I can see

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back