Android Auto - Coolwalk upgrade

pharrison84

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
This should be rolling out to most android handsets now. I'm interested to see images of the screen / hear how it works on the MG4.

Has anyone received the upgrade? I think it should have been quite a noticeable change to the display.

AA updated on my phone today, but I've not been in the car since then. I'll check tomorrow morning (as I'm taking the car to the dealer anyway - oil leak fix appointment time tomorrow). :)

Edit: AA version shows as 8.5.625224-release ... is that Coolwalk?

AA updated on my phone today, but I've not been in the car since then. I'll check tomorrow morning (as I'm taking the car to the dealer anyway - oil leak fix appointment time tomorrow). :)

Edit: AA version shows as 8.5.625224-release ... is that Coolwalk?

Yes, from a Google I think 8.5.6245 and later is Coolwalk

This should be rolling out to most android handsets now. I'm interested to see images of the screen / hear how it works on the MG4.

Has anyone received the upgrade? I think it should have been quite a noticeable change to the display.

Used my car this morning and connected AA ... doesn't look any different to what I saw previously. So I guess I must have already had the Coolwalk update. (Mine shows the 1/3 tile on the left and the 2/3 tile on the right, with the shortcuts and menu button down the right side. On default startup Google maps loads in the 2/3 tile and the clock loads in the 1/3. If I select another app - e.g. music - it then appears in the 2/3 and the maps moves to the 1/3 - tap on the maps and the 2 apps swap. I've not tried double-tapping either tile to see if it goes full screen).

I haven't found a way yet to select music on my phone by voice commands, when connected to AA. If I press either the AA screen microphone button, or the steering wheel button, and say play song X by artist Y, the car tells me that it will play that track through You Tube music (and then tells me that I don't have an account for that, which I don't), even though I have that song on my phone's AA compatible music player.

Is there a way to do this, as it would obviously make life easier?!

Used my car this morning and connected AA ... doesn't look any different to what I saw previously. So I guess I must have already had the Coolwalk update. (Mine shows the 1/3 tile on the left and the 2/3 tile on the right, with the shortcuts and menu button down the right side. On default startup Google maps loads in the 2/3 tile and the clock loads in the 1/3. If I select another app - e.g. music - it then appears in the 2/3 and the maps moves to the 1/3 - tap on the maps and the 2 apps swap. I've not tried double-tapping either tile to see if it goes full screen).
Did more digging last night and I still don't think the rollout has got very far yet with non-beta users, and the version number doesn't necessarily indicate either way (because google have to switch it on server side for users).

So you may or may not have it. I think you would notice a few differences when it does switch over.

I haven't found a way yet to select music on my phone by voice commands, when connected to AA. If I press either the AA screen microphone button, or the steering wheel button, and say play song X by artist Y, the car tells me that it will play that track through You Tube music (and then tells me that I don't have an account for that, which I don't), even though I have that song on my phone's AA compatible music player.

Is there a way to do this, as it would obviously make life easier?!
I know I'm replying to myself, but I've sussed it! The music player that I use for Android Auto is Rocket Player. If I say "hey Google, play Back In Black on Rocket Player", hey presto it works.

I used to use Rocket Player (for years, even paid for it) ... until an update meant that it wouldn't see my SD card. 🙄 I changed to Musicolet instead. I haven't tried going back to RP yet.

I used to use Rocket Player (for years, even paid for it) ... until an update meant that it wouldn't see my SD card. 🙄 I changed to Musicolet instead. I haven't tried going back to RP yet.
Funnily enough I do use Musicolet as the preferred music player on my phone. But using Android Auto I can't seem to get it to work hands free. When I say "Hey Google, play X on Rocket Player", there's no problem, but say "Hey Google, play X on Musicolet" then it doesn't seem to work, however I pronounce Musicolet!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back