Android Auto Issues

jeanloup

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi Folks,

I hope it's ok to post a new thread, I saw a few related posts to what I wanted to talk about but not all in one thread.

A bit of background first. My car was delivered almost a year ago and hasn't been serviced yet. I'm getting a servicing in about 2 weeks so it's possible some of the issues I'm having will be corrected with a software update (one can hope...). My phone runs Android 12 and given it's gonna be 3 years old soon, is unlikely to get any newer versions of Android now.

So what I've been experiencing lately is more and more it will take 2 or 3 minutes for Android auto to properly start up. We're talking Windows XP levels of booting up here. I use Waze for maps and nowadays 60 to 70% of the time the app will tell me it's having trouble loading maps until it does a minute or so later. So generally Android Auto has gotten more and more sluggish as time goes by and I really only use 3 apps beside waze (Google Podcasts, YouTube Music and Audible) so it's not like it's expecting to open a whole range of apps at once. I'm just wondering if this is something other have noticed with Android Auto as I'm not sure if the issue is with the car, with my phone or both.

And then of course there are the other issues people have reported here, the black screen which won't boot Auto at all, even after getting out of the car, locking it up and getting back in (the best method I can think of for turning it on and off again). The worst is the crash in the middle of a book chapter or podcast which won't restart until you unplug the phone and then unlock it to plug it back in, it's doable when you have a passenger but on your own it's only safe to do when the car is stopped. I keep hoping Android Auto will have updates on the phone which will address those but they always come back at some point. Not sure there's anything that can be done with those.

I have a Carlinkit wireless AA dongle plugged into my Trophy permanently. Have to admit it works brilliantly. Usually by the time I ushered in the dog/kids AA is fully up and running before I engage drive. The phone stays in my pocket.

Yes it does cost a bit but it's only once-off and the convenience of not having to plug in the cable is priceless. Silver sellers on eBay have it for as little as under £50 so not too bad.

My phone doesn't have wireless charging so that functionality is not being used but my next one definitely will.

I think you need to check the car with a different phone. My phone has Android 11 and has none of the problems you specified. Do you know how many and what apps are working in the background?

I think you need to check the car with a different phone. My phone has Android 11 and has none of the problems you specified. Do you know how many and what apps are working in the background?
Typically by the time I leave for work, there's barely anything running in the background

Do not plug in your Phone when also activating the R gear (reverse camera)! That is the cause for the black screen.

Either :
1) plug in your phone, wait for AA, and then activate the R gear.
Or
2) First drive reverse and put it in 'D', then plug in the phone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back