Android auto problem

richiespark

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All

My Mg ZS EV seems to have a problem connecting to android auto. When I first had the car in April this year the connection was intermittent, now having tried three different leads and three different phones the car does not recognize a connection. I guess I'm asking, does anyone else have this problem and any suggestions regarding a solution?

Regards

Richiespark

Is this your problem? : When driving on gps , the screen freezes and can only be unfrozen by unlocking your phone ?

Hello All

My Mg ZS EV seems to have a problem connecting to android auto. When I first had the car in April this yewhat phonar the connection was intermittent, now having tried three different leads and three different phones the car does not recognize a connection. I guess I'm asking, does anyone else have this problem and any suggestions regarding a solution?

Regards

Richiespark
What phone are you using?

Just a thought, but have you checked to see if the stereo system is running the latest software?

Download and register the naviextras software, then plug a USB drive into the USB closest to the driver (in uk spec at least), then head into settings, and get the stereo to upload the necessary info onto the USB (tell it to update, and it'll send it across). Then plug that into the computer to let naviextras do its checks, and if it decides it needs an update, let it finish, then plug the USB back into the car, and go back into settings, update, and leave it to it.

Can you describe the steps you use to connect android auto?
Yes certainly, I press the foot brake, open android auto on the phone, plug in lead. Initial the phone would occasionally be recognized, unfortunately not now.

Just a thought, but have you checked to see if the stereo system is running the latest software?

Download and register the naviextras software, then plug a USB drive into the USB closest to the driver (in uk spec at least), then head into settings, and get the stereo to upload the necessary info onto the USB (tell it to update, and it'll send it across). Then plug that into the computer to let naviextras do its checks, and if it decides it needs an update, let it finish, then plug the USB back into the car, and go back into settings, update, and leave it to it.
Many thanks for your help. I will do as you suggest.

Hello All

My Mg ZS EV seems to have a problem connecting to android auto. When I first had the car in April this year the connection was intermittent, now having tried three different leads and three different phones the car does not recognize a connection. I guess I'm asking, does anyone else have this problem and any suggestions regarding a solution?

Regards

Richiespark
I had the same problem. Did a bit of research on line and it appears that after my phone upgraded to android version 10 it is necessary to clear the phone cache and after doing that it works.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Samsung and Huawei
I believe both these makes had issues with the latest software upgrades worthwhile Googling your models, checking for android auto issues, I had problems bought an old IPhone 6 it has carplay already instaled in the background with the latest update, fits perfect on the shelf , I just leave it in the car plugged in for navigation and music and just leave my normal phone in my pocket, had very little issues but you must use a quality lead with it.

I agree you must use the lead that came with the phone for it too work correctly.
Can I just say that it really doesn't matter which cable you use for Android auto connectivity.
The only thing you need to be aware of is that the cable can be used for " data transfer" , since there are also "only charging" cables on the market.
And don't use cables longer than 2meter.

Just my 2 cents.

I noticed when using android it was crashing and screen was blanking,after much investigation that it only happened when fone was fully charged (I was using a charging cable) changed to a data cable and it hasn't happened since

Yes certainly, I press the foot brake, open android auto on the phone, plug in lead. Initial the phone would occasionally be recognized, unfortunately not now

Yes certainly, I press the foot brake, open android auto on the phone, plug in lead. Initial the phone would occasionally be recognized, unfortunately not now.

Basic checks,
Ensure Default USB configuration is set to "File Transfer". To verify, you would need to follow instructions in this link to enable developer options.
After enabling developer options you should locate Default USB configuration and set it to "File transfer".
The infotainment guide also asks us to enable USB debugging. For my phone, this setting does not have any bearing on Android Auto connection. I would advise you to enable it on your phone. You will find it under Developer Options similar to Default USB configuration.

Open the Android auto app on your phone. Connect USB lead(preferably the one shipped with the phone) to phone and then the USB port under center console(driver's side port).
This should cause the Android Auto on your infotainment system to automatically open.

If not working, switch to second USB port and try again.

Let me know if you make any progress.

My experience is that my s8 will not connect to the car if the app is already running or started on the phone. There is a setting in Android Auto to auto start app if it picks the car up on Bluetooth. If I am having issues connecting I tap the three vertical lines on the bottom of my phone and select close all apps. Then I plug in the cable and wait a few seconds, I dont press anything on the infotainment screen. The app should open up on the car screen. If not select Android auto on the car screen.

Basic checks,
Ensure Default USB configuration is set to "File Transfer". To verify, you would need to follow instructions in this link to enable developer options.
After enabling developer options you should locate Default USB configuration and set it to "File transfer".
The infotainment guide also asks us to enable USB debugging. For my phone, this setting does not have any bearing on Android Auto connection. I would advise you to enable it on your phone. You will find it under Developer Options similar to Default USB configuration.

Open the Android auto app on your phone. Connect USB lead(preferably the one shipped with the phone) to phone and then the USB port under center console(driver's side port).
This should cause the Android Auto on your infotainment system to automatically open.

This worked just now for my Samsung S21 after trying 6 different leads without success, thanks very much

Basic checks,

Thanks for this fix! I had tried several USB cables without any luck.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom