Android Auto - Will Not Connect

Tabby

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
In the past week I have had issues where the phone will not connect to Android Auto first thing in the morning, I get in the car and do apporx 150 mile journey and it just doesn't work.
As soon as I get back in the car after I reach my destination and try to reconnect on the return journey then it starts working and connects without any issues.

This happened on Tue/Wed/Thur last week.

Has any one else had the same issues and what can I do to resolve this?

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, so apologies in advance .... only the left hand USB socket is enabled for data. The other just charges the phone.

In the past week I have had issues where the phone will not connect to Android Auto first thing in the morning, I get in the car and do apporx 150 mile journey and it just doesn't work.
As soon as I get back in the car after I reach my destination and try to reconnect on the return journey then it starts working and connects without any issues.

I have a similar problem I spoke to my dealer about it last week and he tried his phone and cable which connected immediately. He then tried the salesmans Android phone with the same cable which also connected. We then tried my phone (Samsung) which also then connected. Naturally he then said it must be your cable and I told him I had tried several cables in an effort to get it to work first time.
We then plugged in my cable and my phone and it connected. So I'm still not sure what the issue really is.
However, do you use a dedicated cable in the car?
Do you leave it plugged in to the USB A socket (left hand one)?
If so, what I have found is if I plug in my phone to the dedicated USB C to USB A cable and it does not connect, try unplugging the USB A end then plugging it back in again. This normally works for me - perhaps somehow forces the USB to re-establish connection.
It is a faff and my previous car (Audi) established connection immediately, every time I plugged it in.

Yes I use the left hand one, I have tried disconnecting and try again but it still doesn't work.
I do leave the cable plugged in all the time, I will try and taking it out after each use and I'll see if that works.

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, so apologies in advance .... only the left hand USB socket is enabled for data. The other just charges the phone.
Yes, I do use only the left one. Thank you for your input and no need to apologise :)

Yes, I do use only the left one. Thank you for your input and no need to apologise :)

Righto. Given the comments above, one other thing to try is cleaning out the USB sockets on the car and the phone usinga vac nozzle and a good puff of air on both.

I had a similar issue and eventually bought I wireless adapter which worked but now for sale. Gone back to iPhone - just works 99% of the time

I have also had connection issues with my Samsung S9+ but have read elsewhere that you need Android 11 for it to work. My phone has Android 10. Anyway its so frustrating, some other functions like Spotify work OK but not Waze

I have also had connection issues with my Samsung S9+ but have read elsewhere that you need Android 11 for it to work. My phone has Android 10. Anyway its so frustrating, some other functions like Spotify work OK but not Waze

I am on S21 Ultra and its still having the same issue, very frustrating in the morning but then it works on the second half of the journey which is so strange.

Hi all, further to my earlier comments on Android Auto connection, I've done a whole lot more testing and found that if it doesn't connect , unplugging and re-plugging the USB A connector, always gives me a connection.

I can live with that! 🙂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom