Android Auto wireless box.

Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi all, had the car, an MG HS Phev for a week and a half and so far no worries amd more than happy.

Was thinking of , via a wireless box, installing wireless for Android Auto.
Any users tried this method and if so which unit did you choose/any pitfalls etc?

Regards

Hi all, had the car, an MG HS Phev for a week and a half and so far no worries amd more than happy.

Was thinking of , via a wireless box, installing wireless for Android Auto.
Any users tried this method and if so which unit did you choose/any pitfalls etc?

Regards
Got a brolly so had a go.
As you can see from the photo below the AAWireless fits with room to spare in the console cubby and the flap shuts without a problem. The cable I used was from Amazon:

After I switched the car off the led in the 12v USB, the led in the Music USB and the led in the AAWireless remained on for about 2mins then all went out so it seems these 3 are not live unless car is running so should not drain the 12v battery.

Update. Used this a few times recently, on my phone I need to switch Mobile Data on then the AAWireless starts up as soon as I enter the car, it takes a few seconds to connect then I can just say Hey Google take me to..........
And off we go.......
Hope this helps.

I use a Carsifi unit. Very small and very easy to set up (use the settings for MG ZS for the HS PHEV). I've had it since February and it works fine. No problems at all once I resisted the temptation to keep fiddling with the phone settings.

AAwireless works flawlessly in MG5, a very good investment to stop the need to plug the phone in evertime. Set-up literally took less than a minute for everything to find and connect to each other. Now the Android Auto is usually working by the time the car hits the ready display on the dash.

AAwireless works flawlessly in MG5, a very good investment to stop the need to plug the phone in evertime. Set-up literally took less than a minute for everything to find and connect to each other. Now the Android Auto is usually working by the time the car hits the ready display on the dash.
Just ordered one, so fingers crossed, does it fit neatly anywhere?

Just ordered one, so fingers crossed, does it fit neatly anywhere?
This is how it sits in the HS PHEV
20220511_134856.jpg

Hi Scorpion!
Received the AAWireless last Thursday after ordering 17 May, so pretty quick.
Using it in a EHS PHEV. I needed approx. 3 attempts to get it connected and until now it works quite well. Only it seems that phone calls do not work very well on the handsfree.
The AAWireless device has firmware level 1.12.0 (quite old I think) and I have the option to upgrade to 2.0.1. I read on the forum in XDA that some people are having connection troubles with 2.0.1.

Question: Have you done an upgrade and what level are you running on?

This is how it sits in the HS PHEVView attachment 8734
Just wondering where you got the flush twin USB cig adapter?
Also I see a Sandisk drive in the USB slot. Are you connecting something to it or does it have another purpose. I have a Mini Flash drive that has a lot of music on it and I currently have it connected to the 1st from left USB port that shows on the infotainment screen where the radio stations show. I don't listen to the radio stations here in Malta as they are pretty dire so my USB stores all the albums to play.

That’s good to hear. Where did you get yours from and how much? TIA.

I'll "+1" for recommending the AAWireless - great little unit, not that expensive, and super easy to get set up. Got mine directly from the Indiegogo project page (they're shipping production units, I suspect it's just way easier for them to continue using Indiegogo's infrastructure to handle orders...) for $85 (USD)

I'll "+1" for recommending the AAWireless - great little unit, not that expensive, and super easy to get set up. Got mine directly from the Indiegogo project page (they're shipping production units, I suspect it's just way easier for them to continue using Indiegogo's infrastructure to handle orders...) for $85 (USD)

Will it handle 2 phones (at different times of course). I am guessing whatever connects to it on Bluetooth? As others drive my car too

(Rather than edit my last)

Only thing I did was install the AAWireless app on both phones and "configure a device" on them both. Not entirely sure that was necessary, but at least this way I can "Update Fireware" on it whether I'm in the UK or EU (my second phone has an EU data SIM for car journeys on the continent).

(Rather than edit my last)

Only thing I did was install the AAWireless app on both phones and "configure a device" on them both. Not entirely sure that was necessary, but at least this way I can "Update Fireware" on it whether I'm in the UK or EU (my second phone has an EU data SIM for car journeys on the continent).
Guess you then need to take out the actual car as a bluetooth option?

Guess you then need to take out the actual car as a bluetooth option?
I've not bothered, TBH. Android Auto and the phone(s) appear to figure it all out for themselves well enough.

(Note: This is in a 2020 Renault Zoe. I'll not make any definitive statements about any other vehicles)

Recently got a carsifi unit for my 2019 mg zs ev. Been pretty good since my wife and I can both have our phones recognised when each of us jumps into the car without having to do anything. It also has a physical button to swap be phones when both of us are in the car.

There are some settings you have to change in the companion app for the mg zs ev to work with it but they are described in the support docs (disable interupt AA and change the USB mode to accessory)

Just wondering where you got the flush twin USB cig adapter?
Also I see a Sandisk drive in the USB slot. Are you connecting something to it or does it have another purpose. I have a Mini Flash drive that has a lot of music on it and I currently have it connected to the 1st from left USB port that shows on the infotainment screen where the radio stations show. I don't listen to the radio stations here in Malta as they are pretty dire so my USB stores all the albums to play.
I scoured Amazon and Ebay for a short adaptor then spotted this in Sainsbury's doing the weekly shop, took a punt and it fitted perfectly! I must have chucked the box. Anyway it has 'Rockland' on one side and CE FC RoHS 5vDC 2100mA on the other. the measurement from rear face of USB front plate to base of connecting pin is is 33mm and overall 40mm with pin uncompressed and 36mm with pin compressed.
The Sandisk has my music files on and the left USB is the data socket, but you can use either for music.

Carsifi or AAWireless

OK, Thanks to this excellent forum I have most of my answers except ONE.....
Carsifi or AAWireless......I have looked at both and am stuck.
Some thoughts are very much appreciated to allow me to make a good decision.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom