Android Auto

katkin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I know there have been problems with android auto to a degree.

I connect via USB to my phone - it connects straight away. By the time i have put a postcode in for example to the map it has stopped.
My phone says it is still connected but when i press the icon on the infotainment screen it tells me to connect via USB (which it already is and nothing changed since initially connected)
It is essentially completely unusable
any solutions

How old is the USB cable?

I've been using AA in various cars for 6 years and it equally sensitive to loosing connection for all cars I've driven. I must have gone through at least one cable a year. I would go for the wireless option but I like to charge my phone and I've filled the other USB ports with gizmos!

brand new - we bought a new cable as accidentaly left one in our old car when part ex!

@katkin

From what you write I assume you are using your phone as a SatNav, perhaps with Google maps. Is that correct? Or are you using the car's built-in SatNav?

If the former, are you aware that AA (at least with Google maps) allows you to speak the destination and have maps find it and create the route? At least that is the case in my pre-facelift 5.

On the steering wheel, right hand side, lower set of buttons, is one that looks a little like a near-complete circle; pressing that activates voice input to Google maps. I can then simply say "Navigate ....." and maps searches for your destination and then provides a route. I've never tried with just a postcode but might be worth you checking?

One thing I have found, based on other posts here re AA and cables is that the quality of the latter is crucial, but also that any "movement" of the cable when it is plugged into the phone and AA is active, can easily disrupt the connection! My "solution" is always to plug in the phone AND place it in the small "pouch" alongside the centre console in the car BEFORE turning the car on.

Yes i am aware you can speak in - even if i do that by the time its found the address the connection has gone.
i had a HS before and was slightly tempramental but nothing like this one

Is entirely possible either the port is faulty or the cable has a manufacturing fault.
I've had better luck with the fabric weave covered cables, they tend to twist less. Also the ones with the 90° USB C plugs get bent less.

Is entirely possible either the port is faulty or the cable has a manufacturing fault.
I've had better luck with the fabric weave covered cables, they tend to twist less. Also the ones with the 90° USB C plugs get bent less.

This seemms to be a common fault accross manufacturers... both my 5LR and my previous car, a Polo were very fussy with the usb cable... when you find one that's reliable, keep it in the car forever... the Polo one was crap in the 5, but a scabby old cable that came with an old phone works flawlessly.

How old is the USB cable?

I've been using AA in various cars for 6 years and it equally sensitive to loosing connection for all cars I've driven. I must have gone through at least one cable a year. I would go for the wireless option but I like to charge my phone and I've filled the other USB ports with gizmos!
I solved that problem by plugging a cable into the rear USB sockets. This then lies tucked into the centre armrest when not in use and easily deployed to plug phone in when needed. :)
Curiously I have also found the rear sockets deliver more power for charging, maybe it's because only 1 item is plugged in to the rear.

I solved that problem by plugging a cable into the rear USB sockets. This then lies tucked into the centre armrest when not in use and easily deployed to plug phone in when needed. :)
Curiously I have also found the rear sockets deliver more power for charging, maybe it's because only 1 item is plugged in to the rear.
I'll give that a try, my toddler doesn't need anything plugged in so they are free.

I had similar, was always the cable... I brought new cables and it worked flawless for a few months then got unstable, buy a new cable and it worked again. I eventually got annoyed and brought a cheap wireless android auto adaptor for £20 off ebay which so far has worked wonders but only had it a couple of weeks.

I had to test few cables before finding the right one.
The working on is a shitty one , white in plastic look cheap.. but it is very short. ( 30 cm max )

Just arrived - they quoted guaranteed delivery by May 21st - pretty good going. Plugged in and started right off - asked me to connect to MG bluetooth but on my phone it showed up as a VW - went ahead anyway - connected - iphone rather than android highlighted on car screen - clicked on this and up came Android Auto - stable and everything works. So a good solution despite what the screen tells you is going on!

If anyone is interested, I ordered this (angled coiled USB cable) from Amazon at £5.98 fits very well in the car. Works well with AA too. See pics

MG41.jpg

MG42.jpg

I am using my Carlinkit between the car and my phone - works well - BUT I am now asking myself what I get from AA that I don't already get. The Trophy has sat nav which is as good as the more limited google maps which appears on AA. When I now got to use the phone I get the AA screen instead of the more useful MG screen. I can see that music etc. might be more accessible but the MG does let me access Amazon Prime for playlists etc. Am I missing something here or is AA not really worth the effort unless you don't have SatNav built in??

AA gives you the ability to do almost anything Google can. Such as ask to make a phone call to a contact, which 'Hello MG' is just appalling at. As what the weather will be like, if you have a smart home and forgot to switch the heating off, you can do that. Radio volume etc is still accessible via the steering wheel from what I have seen when testing so far.
Switching back to the car UI is easy, just hit the home button, switch back to AA by hitting AA on the screen.
This is the first time testing it out for me, i'll see how it goes. But splashing out £5.98 to test it out is a 'no brainer' for me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom