Android Auto

You make a good case - I tried numerous cables but nothing stable, hence the Carlinkit option. I was struggling to use the AA phone option but had forgotten the voice activated call which is even easier. I have puzzled over the steering wheel volume control - it either controls voice assistance or media. I know to get it to operate assistance I just wait for some words of advice then try the volume and it switches over BUT how to get it back to media. I find myself using the buttons under the infotainment screen once the wheel switches to assistance volume. Is there a simple solution for this? Probably.

There's another thread on Android Auto woes. I eventually figured the cable needs to be of an adequate spec for the data rate. There's a link to a cable I found which is certified up to 5Gbps in the post here:
https://www.mgevs.com/threads/my-android-auto-problem-solved.5213/post-192764
So far, touch wood and turn widdershins three times holding a seagull, it seems to just work.

Buggrit, buggrem.
Try this one:

Direct link:

I am using my Carlinkit between the car and my phone - works well - BUT I am now asking myself what I get from AA that I don't already get. The Trophy has sat nav which is as good as the more limited google maps which appears on AA. When I now got to use the phone I get the AA screen instead of the more useful MG screen. I can see that music etc. might be more accessible but the MG does let me access Amazon Prime for playlists etc. Am I missing something here or is AA not really worth the effort unless you don't have SatNav built in??
The built in Satnav whilst good will not give you live traffic updates, will not re-route you mid-journey if there is a road closure ahead on your journey, etc. etc. . It will also not update automatically so may eventually become out of date.
There is also a choice of lots of Satnav options so you can use your own favourite, Waze, Here, AmiGo etc.
Why do you say that Google maps is limited on AA ?
I can listen to received WhatsApp messages (my preferred text messaging service) and reply by voice command.
Apps such as Electroverse, Chargemap, Plugshare, ABRP are available to use.
Many many more apps are also available if you want them, Spotify, car park app RingGo (uuuurgh), podcast apps , Youtube Music and so on.

As @PristDean mentioned switching between AA and the car interface is as easy as pressing one button.

AA has many advantages but there is probably no need to use it all the time, but it is certainly nice to have the option.

Ive ordered one which should be here this weekend.
I was sold when the dealer told me - i could watch netflix or what have you on the screen if stopped charging or similar!

I was told by the chap - i'll have to update when mine comes. when all the apps come up i think you can pick netflix which he said you can't if you're wired (obv if you have netflix app on your phone)

I was told by the chap - i'll have to update when mine comes. when all the apps come up i think you can pick netflix which he said you can't if you're wired (obv if you have netflix app on your phone)
I believe there is a way of doing it if you root your phone - not something I'm willing to do, but I havent yey found a way of doing it on stock Android.

Bought the same. I found it was very laggy, compared to just plugging in the phone. Tried a lot of different options and settings from the trouble shooting manual, but it was never up to scratch.

So I returned.

Got new USB C cable, problems solved.

If anyone looking for cables make sure it says "works with android auto or apple car play".

This what I got on amazon for AUD$13

Bought the same, thanks for the link, it works really well.

Bought the same, thanks for the link, it works really well.

It did work well for the first few days, I have now gone back to tethered AA. It was taking 5 minutes to connect, numerous disconnects of the wireless box to make it connect. I started taking the AA box with me in case it was getting too hot in the car but that didn't help a great deal and was just as faffy as plugging the phone in.

I tried contacting the seller but got zero response.

Sorry to hear that. I just can't get the wired connection to be stable. Disconnects continually.
It was strange the audio would work through the bluetooth connection when the carlink kit light went green but no AA screen for ages. I also had a few disconnects when driving, thinking about it I might try it with the usb cable that works for the tether. Glad you responded, made me think a bit!

It did work well for the first few days, I have now gone back to tethered AA. It was taking 5 minutes to connect, numerous disconnects of the wireless box to make it connect. I started taking the AA box with me in case it was getting too hot in the car but that didn't help a great deal and was just as faffy as plugging the phone in.

I tried contacting the seller but got zero response.
It sounds like you may have a faulty AA Box. Since I bought mine it stays plugged in and connects immediately every time, in fact it will connect before I've even started the car.

Ive ordered one which should be here this weekend.
I was sold when the dealer told me - i could watch netflix or what have you on the screen if stopped charging or similar!

I don't think so with the straight wireless carplay/AA boxes, if you have one of the "AI" (Silly name) Boxes then possibly.

I replaced my carlinkit Mini with a Tbox Mini and this itself runs android and yes you can watch stuff on it, it does have a Netflix app but I've not bothered to use it, I did try youtube on it once whilst charging on a public charger.

The mini is one of their lower end boxes though and I find it's SOC a bit underpowered so it's not the fastest thing in the world, wireless Carplay/AA is done but the autokit app that's pre-installed.

If you wanted to watch youtube.etc you'll need to either insert a sim or tether it to your phone so it gets it's own data connection.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom