Android Auto

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
As the MG4 will be the first vehicle I've owned with an infotainment screen, can someone clarify the uses of Android Auto as I've not come across it before?

I assume that even though the Android Auto website says "Connect your phone to your car display – your Android apps show up onscreen, just like that. ", what it really means is some, mainly Google maps, music streaming services and numerous dubious radio stations, can be shown on screen.

Why can't something useful be displayed there, like ZapMap or any of the other charging apps? Or have I missed the point of it? It's just that it doesn't seem to add anything above and beyond what's available in the MG software.

Activate on phone, plug phone in, waze zapmap or other app will show on screen, what happens on the zoe with android auto, when i am using it.

Look at your favourite android apps to see if they are Auto compatible.
For me I use Mapy.cz for navigation, VLC to play MP3 files.
Mapy.cz is free to download and use and has no adds.

When you connect then by default you'll get the last-used AA-compatible app in the main section, and the previously used app in the side section. Press the circular button and you'll see a screen of your AA-compatible apps to choose from.

I use Google Maps for navigation, and a variety of Media apps (Musicolet for media on my phone, Amazon Music, Tunein Radio, Spotify) depending on what I wish to listen to.

Well, I've just been on Google Play and listed all the Android Auto compatible apps, and there's not a single charger app on there at all. In fact, to be honest I didn't see a single app on there that would be of any use at all (to me anyway)

@Sloucher basically gives access to apps from the infotainment screen with a more car-friendly interface. You can get zap map should you desire, though you have to have a subscription version for that, not bothered myself yet so not sure if it would be worthwhile. The zap map app has a screenshot of it on android auto should you want to have a look (in the playstore images)

Look at your favourite android apps to see if they are Auto compatible.
For me I use Mapy.cz for navigation, VLC to play MP3 files.
Mapy.cz is free to download and use and has no adds.
That's not what it says in Play store on my phone.

They are not all listed on Google Play look at your favourite apps it will tell you in the description if it is google play compatible.

Edit:- No Adds On My Phone.

Last edited:
Well, I've just been on Google Play and listed all the Android Auto compatible apps, and there's not a single charger app on there at all. In fact, to be honest I didn't see a single app on there that would be of any use at all (to me anyway)
ABRP is compatible with AA for sure, and I'm sure some others are too. (Would need to connect to the car to check).

I'll be honest and I haven't tried ABRP via AA ... but it does appear in the list of apps in my car on the AA screen.

I tried ABRP today ... it does require a premium subscription to work with AA. :(

However you can ask Google Maps to route you to charge points - but it won't know if they're free (or even working).

As the MG4 will be the first vehicle I've owned with an infotainment screen, can someone clarify the uses of Android Auto as I've not come across it before?

I assume that even though the Android Auto website says "Connect your phone to your car display – your Android apps show up onscreen, just like that. ", what it really means is some, mainly Google maps, music streaming services and numerous dubious radio stations, can be shown on screen.

Why can't something useful be displayed there, like ZapMap or any of the other charging apps? Or have I missed the point of it? It's just that it doesn't seem to add anything above and beyond what's available in the MG software.
What is it you wanted to be able to do? It allows you to replicate a lot of things you can do on your phone - various navigation apps; podcasts; music; music streaming; Google Assistant etc.

The odd thing is why manufacturers bother to create their own infotainment, especially navigation. Spend the money on better car specific software e.g. for heating or charging controls and leave the 'standard' stuff to Apple, Google and the thousands of developers making apps for their devices

What is it you wanted to be able to do? It allows you to replicate a lot of things you can do on your phone - various navigation apps; podcasts; music; music streaming; Google Assistant etc.

The odd thing is why manufacturers bother to create their own infotainment, especially navigation. Spend the money on better car specific software e.g. for heating or charging controls and leave the 'standard' stuff to Apple, Google and the thousands of developers making apps for their devices
Got to agree the Google infotainment system on the Renault Mégane etech was outstanding when I took it for a test drive

Listening to the latest Dacia adverts on the radio they seem to be extolling the virtues of you just using your phone entirely - something like "why pay for a screen when you've got a flashy one in your pocket?"

I suppose not everyone has a smart phone, even now, but I think the answer to that would be to offer one for the car as part of the deal.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back