Annoying getting in the car ceremony

dando

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
So you must be like me, get in the car, switch off lane assist, switch on one pedal driving.

I see the OBD sexy buttons for Tesla. The same system those connect to exists in the MG4 as well.

I wonder if someone is gonna make something like that for our cars?

I know it's personal preference, but it really doesn't bother me with the routine and takes about 10secs. For current weather driving (in Xpower) I do...

Heated steering wheel on
Heated seat on
OPD on
LKA to Lane Departure Assist (middle option)
Front Collision Assist (alert only)

I've personally not had any dramas of erratic steering towards a ditch etc. An occasional twitch but that's what it's supposed to do and exactly what the Audi e-tron did.

I've set up the right-side steering button to Drive Mode, so that makes it easy to instantly switch to Sport, although if you cycle back to Normal you lose OPD after going through Custom.

I've set up the right-side steering button to Drive Mode, so that makes it easy to instantly switch to Sport, although if you cycle back to Normal you lose OPD after going through Custom.
I lost a load of stuff going through Customs once. It's what they do...

It's snow mode that scuppers OPD
I always use custom as my default driving mode TBH as I want all the horses but with the eco GO pedal :D Yet more settings to set each time unfortunately but fine.... I guess.
I'd love something to make it easier though.

Irks me that heated seat/wheel reset after moving to ready too so if you get ahead of yourself and set stuff up then go to change into drive and hear the ready bong, you have to set some stuff again. I should learn but hey ho. I generally notice as LKA isn't available until ready but sometimes I've set the heating stuff as that comes up on startup....

I know it's personal preference, but it really doesn't bother me with the routine and takes about 10secs. For current weather driving (in Xpower) I do...

Heated steering wheel on
Heated seat on
OPD on
LKA to Lane Departure Assist (middle option)
Front Collision Assist (alert only)

I've personally not had any dramas of erratic steering towards a ditch etc. An occasional twitch but that's what it's supposed to do and exactly what the Audi e-tron did.

Very similar to my start-up routine which is :-

1. Get in Car and wait for all screens to bootup and welcome message to come on
2. Buckle up seatbelt
3. Press brake pedal to get into Ready state.
4. Heated steering wheel and/or heated seat on if desired and other AC adjustments
5. Set Custom Mode if desired and turn OPD ON ( I sometimes stick with Normal mode for short dry trips)
6. Turn LKA off completely
7. Turn OPD on if not already done in Custom mode
8. Music Folder set to wanted playlist (album) from USB stick (it seems to default to "Play All Randomly" every start-up with me 🤷‍♂️)

Seems quite a lot but doesn't take too long and much safer than messing around once driving.

It would be awesome if MG could create custom driver profiles incorporating:
  • Driving modes preference (throttle, brake, steering)
  • Regen preference
  • LKA preference
  • OPD preference
Presumably, this would still meet NCAP requirements for LKA and seems like it would be feasible from a software point of view. One button to do all the above, maybe on the steering wheel, would be fantastic.

Anybody know if other EVs have something similar?

There are many cars (not just EVs) which support driver profiles. e.g. some (most?) Volvos have one or two buttons on the dash/driver's door to select a driver profile - and that usually includes adjusting to preset seating position.

Tip. Use the remote fob to unlock the car from a distance if you can. The boot up will start immediately and will save a few seconds once you are in the car
How long is your driveway?

Walk 50+ metres away from the car, unlock it, walk 50+ metres to the car, and then drive it?

Or they could just fix it. :p Every other manufacturer seems to manage it. For example, wireless CarPlay would sometimes connect before I’d sat down in my previous car.

I can't see the point of profiles on the MG4 if it doesn't save them.

I get in, hear the car tell me its "January 1st 2019' gnash my teeth because I don't have OPD
battle "apple car play" whilst trying to put on my heated steering wheel. Get out because the gates been left closed 🙄
Get back in the car to be told the wrong date again and set the screen brightness to minimum because driving at night with sunglasses is probably illegal......

#relax

There are some simple things that I'd like but the only thing that MG would have to do is have a save profile setting. This is available in other vehicles but all are somewhat more expensive. They'd only have to provide one profile & I'd be happy. That would be my custom setting of LKA off, Eco on with Eco drive mode, OPD on. Also my choice of other sensitivity settings to either low, med or high.

The car could start in normal mode with everything as default to satisfy NCAP & then I'd just select my custom profile with the programmable star button & all my preferences would be there.

There were quite a few good changes for the Gen 2 MG4 so hopefully something like this will be standard on the next facelift upgrade due next year and that the upgrade software will be available for the earlier generations.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back