Another new (to me) "feature"

SimonS

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Turned into a parking space with full right lock today and left the car parked like that. When I got back in I got a "centre the steering" message and it would not give me the "ready" until I'd done so.

Maybe it got confused and thought you were doing the steering angle reset procedure. (Needed after a 12V battery disconnection - full left, then full right, then return to centre).

Discovered a new "feature" in mine yesterday. I'd heard random chimes (more of a "ding" rather than the usual "bongs") from time to time when driving and not seen any reason for them, no warnings on the screen, nothing.

Then yesterday, I had to take my dog to the vet, so, as usual, put him on the back seat and plugged his safety lead into the centre seat belt position.

Two miles down the road, and the chimes started up again, this time continuously. Unlike the last few times I'd heard it, I did notice a red seat belt warning on the screen. I couldn't understand why for a time, but then it struck me.

I'd plugged the dog's safety lead into the centre seat belt position, but the flippin' dog had fidgeted over to the left side, so the car now thought that there was a passenger sat on the left of the rear seat, and with no belt plugged in there it set off the "seatbelt unfastened" warning (I have to say my dog is a not unsubstantial sized labrador). Not being in a situation where it was easy to pull over, I had to put up with the incessant "ding, ding, ding" for several annoying miles.

So, word of warning, if you have a dog on the rear seat, plug in all the unused belt buckles!!

Turned into a parking space with full right lock today and left the car parked like that. When I got back in I got a "centre the steering" message and it would not give me the "ready" until I'd done so.

I've had that once or twice. I think the car just wants to make sure you're not going to set off and turn it directly into a wall or something.

Funnily enough, the "No regenerative braking" warning has started playing up just like another new member reported, although I'd never seen it before.

My dog is a not unsubstantial sized labrador
That's a great saying! Think I'll use that to describe me. I am a not unsubstantial size!

How big is your dog for goodness sake?
I tried a journey in the back behind Mrs S who was driving. I rested my left hand on the middle seat cushion. The bonging started immediately. Took Mrs S a while to work out what was happening as we had only had the car less than a week at that point.

Yeah I've that had a lot, with only partial lock on too. Its pretty annoying as to enter my garage from an angle (from a private drive) I have to both centre the steering and put my seatbelt on to get the car to drive - only to immediately to then have to reapply some lock !!

On the plus side I do like being able to put on my left indicator to see the side camera screen and judge how close I am to the left hand garage wall. 😁

We've had this a few times.

Trying to move off and the car refuses to budge.

One was where she had parked at an angle and had to reverse out at the same angle. But no, the car insisted she straighten up before the car would budge, only to have to go back to full lock immediately.

This, LKA and other things have prompted her to call the car "His Lordship".......

"His Lordship wants me to do this", "His Lordship won't let me do that", etcetera....

:ROFLMAO:

I get this warning about the wheel all the time because I use full lock to park. It is just a warning it does not do anything else. I can engage gear and move, no problem.
However, I also sometime park on a steep incline. When there it will not move until I put on my seat belt.

He's a bit of a lump! I suspect he's part brown bear 😂😂
Daughter’s spaniel Ruby with the John Muir Trail bear down at Dunbar last weekend. 🤩

Attachments

• B466AD0F-4480-4688-9EA0-7E281CC29FC8.jpeg
    B466AD0F-4480-4688-9EA0-7E281CC29FC8.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 51
That's strange as you can't turn the steering until the car is in ready mode, the EPS isn't engaged.

Re. dogs on the rear seats ... I can confirm that 2x Bichon Frise (and one of them is a sizeable lump for a Bichon - 12.7kg) do not set off the rear seatbelt warnings. (Their bungee belts are plugged into the centre and rear-right holders, with the rear-left unconnected. They tend to move about and if they sit on the rear-left seat there is no warning. If a person sits there without fastening the belt then the warning sounds).

Last edited:
Strangely I got another “please centre the steering” message today so I gave it a turn which got rid of the message but when I started to reverse I discovered I’d actually ‘centered’ it the wrong way and I was now on full lock the other way! 🙈🙈🙈

Discovered a new "feature" in mine yesterday. I'd heard random chimes (more of a "ding" rather than the usual "bongs") from time to time when driving and not seen any reason for them, no warnings on the screen, nothing.

Then yesterday, I had to take my dog to the vet, so, as usual, put him on the back seat and plugged his safety lead into the centre seat belt position.

Two miles down the road, and the chimes started up again, this time continuously. Unlike the last few times I'd heard it, I did notice a red seat belt warning on the screen. I couldn't understand why for a time, but then it struck me.

I'd plugged the dog's safety lead into the centre seat belt position, but the flippin' dog had fidgeted over to the left side, so the car now thought that there was a passenger sat on the left of the rear seat, and with no belt plugged in there it set off the "seatbelt unfastened" warning (I have to say my dog is a not unsubstantial sized labrador). Not being in a situation where it was easy to pull over, I had to put up with the incessant "ding, ding, ding" for several annoying miles.

So, word of warning, if you have a dog on the rear seat, plug in all the unused belt buckles!!
This happened to me when i had two friends in they back and one leant onto the middle section. The car thought there were three in the back and one wasn't belted up. Took a while to realise what was going on.

Re. dogs on the rear seats ... I can confirm that 2x Bichon Frise (and one of them is a sizeable lump for a Bichon - 12.7kg) do not set off the rear seatbelt warnings. (Their bungee belts are plugged into the centre and rear-right holders, with the rear-left unconnected. They tend to move about and if they sit on the rear-left seat there is no warning. If a person sits there without fastening the belt then the warning sounds).
Believe me, you wouldn't want my mutt to stand on your foot! He's 40kg of well honed blubber!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back