Another Ohme Pro / iSmart Question (sorry!)

tkmaxx5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all just looking for some advice from any users who have Ohme Pro wallbox (I currently do set up with Octopus Intelligent)

Two main questions (which I guess I might learn via trial and error anyway...)

1. iSmart Target Vs Ohme Target I intend to usually charge to 80% but for longer trips planned may want to charge to 100%. In this case can I just tell the Ohme to add enough charge to take me to 100% and ignore the iSmart Target battery level? Or if the target battery level is set to 80% 'health mode' on iSmart will charging stop regardless of how much I have asked the Ohme to charge?

2 Equalisation Charging similar question, if target the car to get to 100%, is the set up smart enough to know to continue trickle charging while equalisation charging takes place, or will the Ohme stop charging once it reaches 100% and not allow the trickle charging needed for equalisation? Do I need to do anything clever like asking Ohme to deliver more than the charge needed to get to 100% so it stays connected to do the equalisation? Or perhaps plug in as 'dumb' now and again to force an equalisation charge?

Sorry I know these issues have been raised before but scoured the forum (and elsewhere on the web) and couldn't find a full answer.

Have MG5 facelift (SE trim) but imagine question could be answered by any driver using iSmart.

Thank you 🙏

Last edited:
All the Ohme will do is switch the power on and off at the set times, everything else will be controlled by the car. If you have set it to 80%, the car will end the charge when 80% is reached if it is before the set end time. Likewise with the cell balancing, when the battery management system has balanced all the cells, it will end the charge if it is before the set end time.

All the Ohme will do is switch the power on and off at the set times, everything else will be controlled by the car. If you have set it to 80%, the car will end the charge when 80% is reached if it is before the set end time. Likewise with the cell balancing, when the battery management system has balanced all the cells, it will end the charge if it is before the set end time.
Thanks Gadget Geek - but I'm a bit confused as the Ohme Pro (with Intelligent Octopus) doesn't work on a timer for me - I ask it to deliver x% of charge by a certain time and it does its thing (using the cheap overnight tariff for Int Oct, or other times if it decides so). So I wasn't sure if the request to add x% via the Ohme charger would overide the target via iSmart (example below)...

Any thoughts?
1688459553803.png

The equalisation charge question seems to be another matter I am getting into the backwaters of the internet looking at!

Then the Intelligent Octopus protocol will power up the Ohme, but the car will still control the % charge and cell balancing.

Then the Intelligent Octopus protocol will power up the Ohme, but the car will still control the % charge and cell balancing.
Ok thanks (and sorry for further questions!) any advice on how to ensure cell balancing happens using the Ohme? If I set the Ohme so it will charge the MG to 100% will balancing happen automatically?

Asking questions is the way we learn things we don't know, so no problems. That's what the forum is for. :)

Cell balancing times can vary depending on how unbalanced they are, it can take an hour or two. It's probably best to use the Ohme as a dumb charger for that part. If I was doing it, I'd use Intelligent Octopus to get the battery to 100% and then use either the Ohme as a dumb charger or the granny charger to balance the cells as it only uses a few hundred Watts to balance rather than the thousands of Watts when charging.

Someone with an Ohme charger might jump in here and give you more advice. :)

Asking questions is the way we learn things we don't know, so no problems. That's what the forum is for. :)

Cell balancing times can vary depending on how unbalanced they are, it can take an hour or two. It's probably best to use the Ohme as a dumb charger for that part. If I was doing it, I'd use Intelligent Octopus to get the battery to 100% and then use either the Ohme as a dumb charger or the granny charger to balance the cells as it only uses a few hundred Watts to balance rather than the thousands of Watts when charging.

Someone with an Ohme charger might jump in here and give you more advice. :)
Great yes thanks, I think I was coming round to that kind of plan so good to hear someone else say it out loud (well write it down at least :) )

If any Ohme users out there see this a chip in I'd appreciate!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom