Another question from a newbie

Markybhoy1888

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Am I correct in saying that if I charge my EV5 LR using a public charging point, it’s irrelevant if the point charges at 7.4kw, 11kw or 22kw as the car is restricted to 6.6kw? As a new EV owner, this seems mad to me?? Is it therefore only rapid chargers that would charge faster?

Yup. The charger is a single phase input rated ca. 7kW.
22kW charge points offer three phase supplies, i.e. 3x7kW. The 5's charger only uses one of those phases, hence the 7kW figure.
DC charging can go up to 90kW (I think), so long as the charger is capable.
I'm not sure about your sentence about it seeming mad. The words read like a statement but the question marks tacked on the end suggest you're asking something but I can't work out what.

Am I correct in saying that if I charge my EV5 LR using a public charging point, it’s irrelevant if the point charges at 7.4kw, 11kw or 22kw as the car is restricted to 6.6kw? As a new EV owner, this seems mad to me?? Is it therefore only rapid chargers that would charge faster?
Most EVs are restricted to 6.6kW on type 2 as are MGs, few are higher.

The type 2 22kW comes from the fact that most countries have a 3 phase power supply so can charge at home at 22kW 3-phase so even the MG offers 11kw in the EU because of this.

CCS can charge at 80kW on some MGs

Bear in mind that when using the AC charging (7kW) the charger is actually built into the car, the bit you plug into outside the car is not a charger, it is merely a power supply.
When using a Rapid DC the charger is actually a charger and bypasses the car's charger.

Yup. The charger is a single phase input rated ca. 7kW.
22kW charge points offer three phase supplies, i.e. 3x7kW. The 5's charger only uses one of those phases, hence the 7kW figure.
DC charging can go up to 90kW (I think), so long as the charger is capable.
I'm not sure about your sentence about it seeming mad. The words read like a statement but the question marks tacked on the end suggest you're asking something but I can't work out what.
You’ve explained it perfectly, thanks 👍🏻

Bear in mind that when using the AC charging (7kW) the charger is actually built into the car, the bit you plug into outside the car is not a charger, it is merely a power supply.
When using a Rapid DC the charger is actually a charger and bypasses the car's charger.
Cheers, every day is a school day! 👍🏻

Most EVs are restricted to 6.6kW on type 2 as are MGs, few are higher.

The type 2 22kW comes from the fact that most countries have a 3 phase power supply so can charge at home at 22kW 3-phase so even the MG offers 11kw in the EU because of this.

CCS can charge at 80kW on some MGs
Thank you….still getting my head around it all!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom