Any disappointments?

Susanna

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I did loads of research on EVs before deciding on the MG ZS, and I feel it’s very well spec’d for the price, but one thing did surprise me - the ‘non-auto dipping’ rear view mirror.
It’s a small thing though.
Does anyone have a major disappointment with their car?

Major? No

My minor niggle is the lack of interior light, followed by the lack of a light under the charge port door, followed by the really rather poor headlights for a modern car. All 3 things we've remedied. Nothing major, just puzzling.

Major? No

My minor niggle is the lack of interior light, followed by the lack of a light under the charge port door, followed by the really rather poor headlights for a modern car. All 3 things we've remedied. Nothing major, just puzzling.
I'm assuming you are talking about the outgoing model ZS and not the new facelift one?

I'm assuming you are talking about the outgoing model ZS and not the new facelift one?
Apologies yes. I don't know if the new one has an interior light for the rear passengers, but you'd hope that had been sorted. The new charge door doesn't shade the port so that won't be an issue, and I can't comment on the headlights, though even our Model 3 I'll be upgrading with an LED light bar as there's just too many critters that can ruin late night drives here

I have a SE Standard Range and totally love it. Brilliant to drive (handles pretty well which surprised me after coming out of a Stelvio) and as the weather is getting warmer is becoming much more efficient.

I have the SE spec so I accept it's no luxury spec but I think it the height of tight-arsedness that they deleted the speakers from the back. Also why did it have to go without blind-spot detection and cross traffic alerts that the Trophy has?

But other than that I prefer the cloth seats to the vegan leather and the lack of roof bars so I am happy with my car :)

I've owned a new ZS trophy for 5 days now, I love it, the spec is excellent, drives well, loving defrost from the app. Having had 'auto dip' rear view mirrors on my previous car, I much prefer manual. I would've liked a long range but didn't want to wait. The only disappointment so far is the App, being able to bind to a single phone at a time, honestly this is infuriating and a real oversight by MG on a family car.

Apologies yes. I don't know if the new one has an interior light for the rear passengers, but you'd hope that had been sorted. The new charge door doesn't shade the port so that won't be an issue, and I can't comment on the headlights, though even our Model 3 I'll be upgrading with an LED light bar as there's just too many critters that can ruin late night drives here
Yeah the new ZS has had an LED headlight upgrade (thank god). I know that a lot of people had done an interior mod with the old gen ZS to get rear lighting, seen some very nice examples on youtube and on this forum of people installing an LED strip around the opening of the sunroof to give light to the rear. Sadly the absence of a rear interior light is still a thing (possibly down to the panoramic roof) but it's not the end of the world as there are so many ways that you can retrofit additional interior lighting. LED light bar sounds like something I may do myself using the roof rails to put a massive one on. But yeah I have family in Aus and there is nothing quite so scary as a kangaroo appearing in front of you on a dark, unlit road when travelling at 100km/h

I've got the Trophy LR and I'm generally happy. Couple of niggles, the app is crap and its reliability undermines its purpose. From what I can see I'm supposed to be able to lock/unlock the car and control the aircon, but it seems to forget the current state and just keep trying to unlock. Hopefully this will improve as I can't be the only one with issues. The second is the USB ports, specifically the USB-C ones. Using a standard USB-C cable to plug my phone in doesn't work. I've had to use a USB-C to Type-A adaptor, and then a Type-a to USB-C cable in order to charge my phone. Seems like the USB-C ports are too dumb to accept proper USB-C cables. The standard Type-a ports work fine. Had this checked by the dealer and they used an adaptor to prove it works. Other than that its a nice car, lovely to drive and looks good.

Last edited:
Condensation
Headlights
Poor quality heater - ie low output

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can see I'm supposed to be able to lock/unlock the car and control the aircon, but it seems to forget the current state and just keep trying to unlock.
We have the face lift Trophy LR and I did manage to activist my account is SMS.
I know some owners have had issues and had to use their E.mail address.
I have not used the charging delay function of the App yet, but every time I have tested locking and unlocking the car, it has worked every single time ?.
The car health report has worked every single time also.
I have never had App control on any of my previous cars, so I am not really qualified to judge if this ISmart App is good or bad really.
No App is any good if it does not work I guess.

Is that condensation in the headlights?
I don't think so... I have seen reports of the outgoing model suffering from condensation on the interior windows... Hopefully something they have solved on the incoming facelift model (fingers crossed)

And the headlights are likely mentioned because the outgoing model had normal halogen bulbs which are garbage for a modern car, thankfully the new car has full LED headlights

No disappointments for me, only had the car (Trophy LR) for almost a week, I enjoy driving it, the app works ok for me and tells me most of what I need to know and controls what I need it to. it's averaging 4.1 m/Kw on my daily commute (B roads and A roads) 3 m/kWh going to work (uphill) and 6.5 m/kWh back from work (downhill)

The first few days last weekend my efficiency wasn't so good, due to the pure enjoyment of sport mode and the instant torque, I was , shall we say having a bit too much fun. :D

Overall i think this is a great car and the WLTP range is more than achievable, especially come the summer months, which is more than can be said for some cars from the bigger brands.... :)

Oh, and of course, so far I have driven about 380 miles at a total cost of £0.00, free charging in work :) happy days :)

Is that condensation in the headlights?
No, in the car in winter. Resolved, mainly, by use of large silica bags - but this is the worst we have ever experienced in over 40 years of driving!

No, was condensation. Notice the past tense as we sold the car. Not due to the condensation though!
I have had condensation in a previous car - Passat estate with a sun roof. The cause was water ingress through the roof. That resulted in humidity in the car and condensation was the result.

I know what bothers me (I haven’t even got the car yet, ZS LR EV) is the back parcel shelf, I thought they went out in the 80s? Other cars have the roller type, why not the ZS? Gas struts on the front bonnet, I know it’s built to a cost, but come on, I can put up with not having an electric boot, it’s not going to take power from the battery,would rather have range than an electric boot, don’t know why MG doesn’t have a frunk as an optional extra, think there missing a trick there, but what sold the car to me, range, sun roof and the big boot, I play golf and needed a boot I could get the clubs and trolley in, without having to put the seats down, having looked at others EV there boots are crap…really looking forward to getting the car…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom