Anybody running an MMB Android 11 Plus for Netflix - YouTube etc?

I think Saurab Dutt (spelling - on YouTube) fitted something similar to his MG4. I think it was this video:

I use this one https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/tbox-plus as rather than hotspot your phone you can put a 4g sim in the device. Works flawlessly in my ZS EV. Has Google Maps and you can download any App you want - Netflix, YouTube, IPTV etc.
Thanks for this, looks like a decent alternative.

What's the advantage of using an in-built SIM over a hotspot if, for example, you have unlimited data on your phone and it's being charged while driving? Wouldn't you end up paying more to buy an additional SIM, data etc?

Last edited:
I'm a little unclear of how Android Auto works on these boxes in relation to your phone.

Ordinarily, you'd have the Android Auto shell app on your car infotainment system, which would connect to your phone. Your phone then has the Android Auto app on it, which can then access your normal phone apps: Spotify, Whatsapp etc.

With these boxes, I'm assuming they have their own version of Android Auto installed which essentially replaces that on your phone? So, how does it access Whatsapp messages, Spotify playlists etc? Isn't the box essentially acting as a replacement phone in this circumstance?

I'm a little unclear of how Android Auto works on these boxes in relation to your phone.

Ordinarily, you'd have the Android Auto shell app on your car infotainment system, which would connect to your phone. Your phone then has the Android Auto app on it, which can then access your normal phone apps: Spotify, Whatsapp etc.

With these boxes, I'm assuming they have their own version of Android Auto installed which essentially replaces that on your phone? So, how does it access Whatsapp messages, Spotify playlists etc? Isn't the box essentially acting as a replacement phone in this circumstance?
Oddly enough it actually uses the cars Apple CarPlay to run the connection.

From that it just displays a regular android screen with a custom launcher (that tries to resemble Apple CarPlay) and from that you can launch either wireless CarPlay or AndroidAuto with your phone.

You can just use the apps on the device itself but you really need the remote with keyboard as they are just the regular android apps and arent designed for a car, especially like my Merc which has no touchscreen and everything has to be done from the nav wheel.

There are also other adapters that just give you wireless carplay and androidauto without this middle interface, but then you can't run apps like Netflix etc

Heres one example of such a device:

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums