Anyone changed a headlight/indicator bulb yet?

crl84

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
A few nights ago, my front right indicator bulb seems to have blown. I was indicating to turn right, and a car was approaching with no lights on (5pm, already nearly full dark). So I flashed my headlights several times to warn them, and then a few dashboard warning lights came on.
Now every time I start the car, I'm getting a front indicator fault, and automatic headlamp fault warning when I engage the right indicator. The mirror and rear indicators also blinking at double the usual speed.

Had a look for access to the indicator bulb, and can't see any easy way in. Left one looks like there might be space to get at it, but right on has "engine" stuff in the way.

Looking at the Refit and Remove Manual, it appears that the whole bumper has to be removed and headlight assembly has to be removed, to get at the indicator bulb (same if you want to get at the headlight bulbs) :eek:

Has anyone had to replace these bulbs yet, and done it themselves?

I've only had the car 3 months, so was half-tempted to just ring the dealer and get them to do it as the bulb shouldn't blow from flashing the headlights several times. No idea if they'd charge for replacing a bulb. Not sure if Halfords would/can be trusted taking off the bumper either?
I've changed bulbs on previous cars several times, but these were usually pretty straight forward releasing a couple of bolts for the headlamp unit, and pulling the bulb out the back....

Bulbs should be covered for 12 months but it sounds like something more complicated may be happening with Auto light fault coming up when you indicate. I'd take it to the dealer anyway.
FWIW, the manual shows access to the front indicator bulb holders is from under the bonnet.
Can't find a fuse for them in the manual though.

Attachments

• MG4 front indicator change.pdf
    293.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Thanks, I saw that graphic in the manual, but it isn't even remotely that easy when you actually open the bonnet, as the actual bulb is much further down, with stuff in the way, including the whole headlight assembly which appears to be removed in that graphic, but doesn't mention needing to be removed. It only works for the left one anyway, the right one is obscured by a tank/reservoir and other components. The Refit and Remove manual has it in full detail.
This is the left one, the bulb entry point is below the headlight unit here with the cable, you could probably just about get a hand down to it but it'll be fiddly:
20231128_114419.jpg

The right unit is completely blocked, and can't even be seen without taking off the headlight assembly, which requires removing the bumper:
20231128_114453.jpg

I might just ring the dealer as I would like to get infotainment updated too, so might tell them about bluetooth problems, and see if they can do a few updates while they're there.

The rear indicator is a bulb. The front indicator is an LED on your Trophy.
Good shout, I wondered about that as the indicator is in the headlamp on the SE but down below on the Trophy.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back