Anyone else getting these errors leading to breakdown?

RichP

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’ve been getting repeated breakdowns in my MG5 pre face lift LR. I get “dcdc charge fault” followed by “auto hold fault” and then “high voltage battery disconnect” at which point the car stops. Dealer had the car for 12 weeks and saw the fault but couldn’t fix it. Got it back 2 weeks ago and today the same break down, this time on the motorway. Anyone else experiencing this?

Was that 12 weeks over multiple visits or in one go?

12 weeks to not fix it is terrible service. Did they send the car to Longbridge as I know they occasionally do that for really difficult problems. They have access to software that they don't let the dealers play with.

12 weeks to not fix it is terrible service. Did they send the car to Longbridge as I know they occasionally do that for really difficult problems. They have access to software that they don't let the dealers play with.
No they didn’t, it was Richmond in Southampton. And to be honest getting information out of them was a nightmare. And it only seemed they worked on the vehicle when I chased them. In the end I took the car back after 12 weeks knowing in my heart it would break down again and hey presto that happened yesterday after only having the car back for 2 weeks. Now my worry is I won’t see the car again for another 12 weeks (or longer) and it’ll probably come back not fixed again.

Couple of things, when the car breaks down does the fault clear itself or do you need to be recovered?
Ask the dealer to check the charge port for corrosion, I had this issue with similar symptoms and it took the dealer many weeks to find the fault even with MG 2nd line connecting remotely.

Couple of things, when the car breaks down does the fault clear itself or do you need to be recovered?
Ask the dealer to check the charge port for corrosion, I had this issue with similar symptoms and it took the dealer many weeks to find the fault even with MG 2nd line connecting remotely.
The fault usually clears, sometimes within a few minutes, sometimes longer. And sometimes the cars been reset by the AA by disconnecting the 12V battery. Thanks for the tip about the charge port, I’ll flag to the dealer.

From what you say I don't think it's the port, unless it's mid way going faulty. For reference my dealer's tech was seeing high resistance in the high voltage line. They actually replaced the unit that supplies/regulates power to the motor thinking it was the cause at first.

I’ve been getting repeated breakdowns in my MG5 pre face lift LR. I get “dcdc charge fault” followed by “auto hold fault” and then “high voltage battery disconnect” at which point the car stops. Dealer had the car for 12 weeks and saw the fault but couldn’t fix it. Got it back 2 weeks ago and today the same break down, this time on the motorway. Anyone else experiencing this?
Check your battery at the source put a voltage tester across battery. With in ready position what is the blue car display reading . The computer processor supplied by the 12v battery power supply so should there be a voltage problem on that side you will get problems . Let us know readings .

The DC 400- 14.6vDC rectifier charges battery and supplies the auxiliary circuit, this will cut out if rectifier is overloaded by fault on the 12v circuits. A healthy battery is 12.9 v and the blue car display while driving should read a steady 14 v DC.. I've had the computer crashed showing similar faults .get a battery voltage reading with car engine off by an engineer.Auto hold comes in when car is stopped on a hill at for instance traffic lights giving you 3 secs to take foot of brakes to put foot on acceleration to pull off from a hill. If the DC-DC rectifier has been replaced and still having faults. There's 2 things you could have tested that is a 12v battery fault. or a fault on your 400v battery pack.It must be tested by an MG 5 technician. Causing an unstable supply. If the processor was at fault you would have numerous of faults showing on your display intermittently. A high Resistance cable fault is a bad connection or a damaged cable on that circuit.This needs a MG technician only to find it. Hope this helps .A recent MG5 EV software update I had done was involving brakes including Auto hold 4 weeks ago. Ask MG for a detailed report of there findings afterwards. All this comes under your 7 warranty, but been told your 12v battery only has a 12 months warranty.

Check your battery at the source put a voltage tester across battery. With in ready position what is the blue car display reading . The computer processor supplied by the 12v battery power supply so should there be a voltage problem on that side you will get problems . Let us know readings .

The DC 400- 14.6vDC rectifier charges battery and supplies the auxiliary circuit, this will cut out if rectifier is overloaded by fault on the 12v circuits. A healthy battery is 12.9 v and the blue car display while driving should read a steady 14 v DC.. I've had the computer crashed showing similar faults .get a battery voltage reading with car engine off by an engineer.Auto hold comes in when car is stopped on a hill at for instance traffic lights giving you 3 secs to take foot of brakes to put foot on acceleration to pull off from a hill. If the DC-DC rectifier has been replaced and still having faults. There's 2 things you could have tested that is a 12v battery fault. or a fault on your 400v battery pack.It must be tested by an MG 5 technician. Causing an unstable supply. If the processor was at fault you would have numerous of faults showing on your display intermittently. A high Resistance cable fault is a bad connection or a damaged cable on that circuit.This needs a MG technician only to find it. Hope this helps .A recent MG5 EV software update I had done was involving brakes including Auto hold 4 weeks ago. Ask MG for a detailed report of there findings afterwards. All this comes under your 7 warranty, but been told your 12v battery only has a 12 months warranty.
Please be aware that Hill Hold (not Autohold as stated above), only operates for 1-2 seconds, not 3.

1697967940800.png

Please be aware that Hill Hold (not Autohold as stated above), only operates for 1-2 seconds, not 3.

View attachment 21031
Was told by MG dealership when I booked my EV in the for the service and brake software adjustment, they said it was part of the software upgrade as it released too early and started to roll back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. The car is now back with the dealer. So far they’ve had it a week and a half, so 13 and a half weeks in total. Let’s hope they fix is properly this time (and soon).

Was told by MG dealership when I booked my EV in the for the service and brake software adjustment, they said it was part of the software upgrade as it released too early and started to roll back.
Strange as I would have thought 1-2 seconds was quite long enough, it certainly is for me. I can't possibly imagine why it would take anyone 3 seconds to move their foot from the brake to the throttle/accelerator.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom