Anyone elses front and rear cameras complety unusable due to moisture?

They seem to get dirty instantly. It doesn't help that the resolution is terrible to begin with.

My 2013 Golf had a high resolution camera.

If there was any way to upgrade the camera’s I would as the quality is in a word is ‘crap!’

I really don't understand all the gripes about the car.
Cameras?
Whats wrong with them?
It's only to see whats around you or do you want to put them up on the internet for a prize, or maybe you want to post them to Istock Photo and earn some cash.

Are there trolls who simply pretend to have a MG and are here to slag off the car or maybe its people employed by the competing car manufacturers?

If you want high resolution on your reversing camera you should consider swapping to a more expensive car maybe a BMW, Mercedes, or maybe a Tesla.

Hmmm, too expensive?
I agree why would I pay out 50,000 euro for the basic Tesla model or 56,500 for the BMW not to mention the Mercedes EQS Suv at 98,000.
What it only has a 4 year 50,000 mile limited warranty?
Well you could always extend it, for a price.
Too expensive?
Well you could always get yourself the basic VW ID3 for just under 44,000 euro, but then I have heard that there are major problems with the software which they are struggling to sort out.
From a recent article about problems with the ID3 and ID4 :-

"Issues have been escalating, and from the end of last month they seem to be affecting vehicles on a very large scale. The problems include frequent loss of network connectivity in-car and various fault codes randomly appearing, functions such as navigation and CarPlay randomly stopping working, the entire infotainment system freezing as well as frequently rebooting itself for no apparent reason."

Everything considered if you don't like the car sell it and buy something else. If you have a problem with the car then I would love to hear about it so that a solution can be found that everyone can benefit from.

I really don't understand all the gripes about the car.
Cameras?
Whats wrong with them?
It's only to see whats around you or do you want to put them up on the internet for a prize, or maybe you want to post them to Istock Photo and earn some cash.

Are there trolls who simply pretend to have a MG and are here to slag off the car or maybe its people employed by the competing car manufacturers?

If you want high resolution on your reversing camera you should consider swapping to a more expensive car maybe a BMW, Mercedes, or maybe a Tesla.

Hmmm, too expensive?
I agree why would I pay out 50,000 euro for the basic Tesla model or 56,500 for the BMW not to mention the Mercedes EQS Suv at 98,000.
What it only has a 4 year 50,000 mile limited warranty?
Well you could always extend it, for a price.
Too expensive?
Well you could always get yourself the basic VW ID3 for just under 44,000 euro, but then I have heard that there are major problems with the software which they are struggling to sort out.
From a recent article about problems with the ID3 and ID4 :-

"Issues have been escalating, and from the end of last month they seem to be affecting vehicles on a very large scale. The problems include frequent loss of network connectivity in-car and various fault codes randomly appearing, functions such as navigation and CarPlay randomly stopping working, the entire infotainment system freezing as well as frequently rebooting itself for no apparent reason."

Everything considered if you don't like the car sell it and buy something else. If you have a problem with the car then I would love to hear about it so that a solution can be found that everyone can benefit from.
If you think the cameras are great that fine, enjoy them in their 640*480 glory!

Resolution matters. Their performance with that low resolution in low light makes them difficult to use. Add to that the ease in which they get dirty and you have a problem.

All I am saying is that my 9 year old Golf had a better reversing camera.

Someone make that make sense for me.

Personally, I have no issues with the camera resolutions. It is only an aid and doesn't replace the driver using mirrors and looking out the windows like they are supposed to. I'm not going to take photographs with them or try to read a newspaper. :)
Agreed……definitely 1st world problems if you rely on the cameras that much in my opinion!

Both cameras see compelling unusable and look like someone splashed watter inside the lense. Been like this for a a while will be taking car to dealer tomorrow to see if they can clean this up
Cleaning the lens at the same time as cleaning the number plate. I am still using the mirror to reverse. Forgetting there is a camera screen. Driving since 1976 did we ever need a camera for reversing. Just another piece of hi-tec to go wrong. But I see your point. Screen useless when dirty, full of moisture and wet.

The answer is simple, low resolution camera cost next to nothing, and provides the car with the information it requires for its safety systems, a higher resolution camera would cost more, and increase the cost of the car for negligible inprovment except providing you with a better picture... Just a reminder for everyone, if your looking at the screen whilst reversing your driving incorrectly, that's why the car still has mirrors.. They are not there for decoration!

The answer is simple, low resolution camera cost next to nothing, and provides the car with the information it requires for its safety systems, a higher resolution camera would cost more, and increase the cost of the car for negligible inprovment except providing you with a better picture... Just a reminder for everyone, if your looking at the screen whilst reversing your driving incorrectly, that's why the car still has mirrors.. They are not there for decoration!
I highly doubt that the 360 cameras are used for any of the security functions.

Safety functions are using radar (front and 2 rear), reversing sensors and the camera in the front windscreen.

Cleaning the lens at the same time as cleaning the number plate. I am still using the mirror to reverse. Forgetting there is a camera screen. Driving since 1976 did we ever need a camera for reversing. Just another piece of hi-tec to go wrong. But I see your point. Screen useless when dirty, full of moisture and wet.
60s and 70s cars had a much bigger “green house” area, with much lower sides and thinner pillars. These cameras have become more useful because visibility is actually pretty bad in cars now in comparison.

I think MG could have made it a whole lot better by:

A. Mounting the rear camera in a position that attracts less dirt (or taken the VW route and mounted it inside the rear badge/handle and have to pop out in use)
B. Not source the camera module from an Aliexpress discount store

Thank you so much for reminding me. In 25 years of driving I was wondering what those things stuck to the side the car car were for.

Btw something like a Mid to low range Sony IMX camera module (which is 1080p and has ok low light performance) at the quantity of 1 is about £12. At the quantities MG works out likely a lot less. I think they cheaped out.

Well thank you mother for that last advise.

60s and 70s cars had a much bigger “green house” area, with much lower sides and thinner pillars. These cameras have become more useful because visibility is actually pretty bad in cars now in comparison.

I think MG could have made it a whole lot better by:

A. Mounting the rear camera in a position that attracts less dirt (or taken the VW route and mounted it inside the rear badge/handle and have to pop out in use)
B. Not source the camera module from an Aliexpress discount store
That’s China for you.

So the reversing camera is not for reversing? 🙄

(This reminds me of some on here that believe there's a difference between the "P" on the rotary selector & the "epb" 😂)

I don't think any "safety systems" rely on the reversing camera?

Shurely the mirrors are for lane changing too?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom