• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Anyone else's wing mirrors creak/squeal when closing?

I guess it does, as plumbers use PTFE tape and paste to seal threads etc on fittings.
I have the WD40 PTFE spray and the white lithium grease spray.
I just favoured the light weight white lithium grease.
A lot of manufactures use it on contact points like door locks / check straps / window regulator mechanism’s etc.
But not MG it appears 🤣.
My car is parked outside on the drive, last winter when it was REALLY cold, the drivers door handle would not return at first when I opened the door.
It needed a bit of help to return it to the closed position.
My previous VAG car never did this.
It will be interesting to see if it does the same this year, now I have applied the lithium spray grease !.
A family member also has a ZS EV and his rear drivers door handle was sticking when it was really cold.
As soon as the morning frost had lifted, the handle worked fine every time.
He used the standard WD40 spray, which if fantastic stuff to free off the problem, but you need something else to back it up, or after time it will dry out.
That’s where the lithium spray comes in.
Time will tell I guess !.
My door handle was sticking before it got cold last year, my Prius was the same, both cured with the silicone spray.
What happened to maintenance free modern parts on cars, it takes me back to the 70s when I had 60s and 70s cars where something always wanted a squirt of something or other now and again. :D

As it had rained and they didn't squeak they said No fault found despite the video sound evidence.
It's that kind of approach from dealers I really dislike. Is it really too much to ask for x2 squirts of WD? I wouldn't have appreciated being called a liar by them either!

I was actually frying bigger fish with them at the time and the squeaks were lost in the bigger picture but you are absolutely right.

As per the title, does anyone else's wing mirrors creak or squeal when closing? Car is around a month old and its been getting progressively louder to the point now where its just embarrassing! Its so loud I can't hear the 'zap-zap' noise of the charge cable locking in when I lock the car anymore.

Will get it booked in at the dealers but wanted to check first if it's a known issue.
mine did same took to local dealers job done

Mine don't creak (although my hearing is selective... according to the better half) but they don't always close. It's an intermittent fault that can affect either or both mirrors whenever I close the car using the remote or pushing the button on the door handle. Both mirrors will close if I push the button on the dash down.

Mine creak (particularly in hot weather), but it's not a problem unique to MG's. My grandson's VW Golf does the same.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom