Anyone feels cruise control is sticking way too close to car on front?

Maciej

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have been doing some longer drives and enjoy cruise control but I keep feeling that if car on front of me slammed the breaks my car would no chance of stopping. Maybe because I'm used to human reflexes and feel like I need about 2/3more space to safly stop at 70 mph. Maybe cruise control will detect reading sooner than I can and will stop but I wouldn't want to test it.

Anyone feels the same?

I have been doing some longer drives and enjoy cruise control but I keep feeling that if car on front of me slammed the breaks my car would no chance of stopping. Maybe because I'm used to human reflexes and feel like I need about 2/3more space to safly stop at 70 mph. Maybe cruise control will detect reading sooner than I can and will stop but I wouldn't want to test it.

Anyone feels the same?
You do know there are 3 settings for the distance to the car in front of you on the cruise control

I believe you can adjust the distance?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the distance resets to 3 bars (largest distance) at every "startup" so unless you have set it to something less after "ignition on" it should be the 3 bars.

I have done a bit of motorway driving and i did not feel it was to close.

I even change it to 2 bars when on normal 50 mph roads, because i feel it keeps a distance that is to long

Screenshot_20220428_212607.jpg
Screenshot_20220428_212634.jpg
Screenshot_20220428_212703.jpg

I thought the same when I first got my 2020 ZS, compared to the Prius I had.
Even on the longest setting it felt a bit close.
I may be imagining it but I felt that it did seem to alter according to speed, the Prius didn't.

Its funny you say this as i find it the opposite, i set mine to the shortest distance and on the motorway is starts to slow down a considerable distance from the car in front, i find i have to pull out very early for an overtake to stop the car slowing unnecessarily (which at optimum EV driver speeds usually invokes tailgating mode from other drivers)

Only a fool breaks the two second rule! With that in mind, it will be interesting to see how cruise control works. Personally I prefer speed limiter except on a fairly empty motorway. Hubby is a cruiser.

I will checks the settings when driving again. The way I was taught in Poland was to leave roughly 1 length of a car space per every 10 or so km of speed. So driving at 70 miles an hour I should be able to put 11 MG ZS between me and car on front. I expect this is equivalent of UK 2 sec rule.

I will checks the settings when driving again. The way I was taught in Poland was to leave roughly 1 length of a car space per every 10 or so km of speed. So driving at 70 miles an hour I should be able to put 11 MG ZS between me and car on front. I expect this is equivalent of UK 2 sec rule.
2 seconds at 70mph is 62m or about 14 car lengths, close enough to the way you were taught

Only a fool breaks the two second rule! With that in mind, it will be interesting to see how cruise control works. Personally I prefer speed limiter except on a fairly empty motorway. Hubby is a cruiser.
Cruise Control and Adaptive Cruise Control are two different things.

Cruise control keeps you at the same speed regardless and relies on the user to intercept.

Adaptive cruise, as fitted to the MG5 Long Range (and, I assume, the facelift ZS) models will adjust the speed for you so as to keep you a distance away from the car in front, which is much safer and what they are talking about here.

Speed limiter does as it says on the tin, but if you approach the car in front it won't slow down for you as you'll have to lift off the pedal yourself.

I've owned cars with cruise for nearly 40 years now and without a doubt, the MG ZS (and perhaps the 5 etc.) is the worst I've ever had, so bad in fact that we've already basically stopped using it.

It's just about OK on autoroutes and dual carriageways but any road that has a twist, turn or undulation it's absolutely useless because it's not possible to turn off the ACC and just have 'manual' cruise control.

On empty roads with a few twists etc. it will slow from 90 kph to about 70 kph on every turn and hill (for the reasons stated in the manual pasted above) which is a) ridiculous, b) infuriates anyone following and c) wastes energy having to build back speed again rendering it all but useless.

We have to drive to Belgium next week, we're taking the Merc (speed because of 0% range anxiety and no charging stops) and I can't wait to do a long journey with a cruise control that actually does what it's told!

I thought the same when I first got my 2020 ZS, compared to the Prius I had.
Even on the longest setting it felt a bit close.
I may be imagining it but I felt that it did seem to alter according to speed, the Prius didn't.
Yes, it is speed dependent. It would seem to account for the braking performance of the vehicle not the reaction time of the driver. Comments about the 2-second rule I would suggest is to allow for the human driver's reaction time. The ACC Radar is able to bypass the human element which is a contributing factor to why the ICE version of the ZS without these aids has NCAP 3 and the EV with driving aids is NCAP 5 I would suspect

I've owned cars with cruise for nearly 40 years now and without a doubt, the MG ZS (and perhaps the 5 etc.) is the worst I've ever had, so bad in fact that we've already basically stopped using it.

It's just about OK on autoroutes and dual carriageways but any road that has a twist, turn or undulation it's absolutely useless because it's not possible to turn off the ACC and just have 'manual' cruise control.

On empty roads with a few twists etc. it will slow from 90 kph to about 70 kph on every turn and hill (for the reasons stated in the manual pasted above) which is a) ridiculous, b) infuriates anyone following and c) wastes energy having to build back speed again rendering it all but useless.

We have to drive to Belgium next week, we're taking the Merc (speed because of 0% range anxiety and no charging stops) and I can't wait to do a long journey with a cruise control that actually does what it's told!
To be fair, in the UK, you shouldn't really use it on anything but slower driving or straight driving (motorway etc.) because on our roads you do need to slow down for the bends 😂

To be fair, in the UK, you shouldn't really use it on anything but slower driving or straight driving (motorway etc.) because on our roads you do need to slow down for the bends 😂
As I don't live in the UK, but in France where most of our roads are empty and undulation, this is irrelevant. But, I do like to keep up with the law for when we visit, wouldn't want to give Plod any opportunities they don't need to increase their drinks kitty, so I'd be interested to know where this rule is stated in the Highway Code ;) :ROFLMAO:

It's not in the highway code, I was merely joking about the difference in our roads to yours. Certainly where I live in Wales, attempting most bends without slowing down will result in loss of your vehicle into the hedge/field.

I have the mg5 and love the auto pilot and doing 70 on M6 and I found it hard at first as never used it before but I love it and I found it to be very good and reliable plus I am not to worried that it is to close and it is just a thing you get use to a relaxing drive all you got to do is not fall asleep like those in the Tesla 👍

It's not in the highway code, I was merely joking about the difference in our roads to yours.
Oh I know, I was just joshing with you and agree that on some, perhaps many, twisties one would ease off, but on a long, empty and sweeping bend one word not and the ACC cannot tell the difference between the two.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom