Anyone noticed now getting extended range?

dgs99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Having charged the MG5 to 100% last night I noticed this morning that the range was now showing as 247miles. I guess this is because of warmer weather helping extend battery life. A month ago I could only get max range of 203 miles on a fully charged battery.

David

Yup, as soon as the temperature outside goes above about 10c my SR gets 200 miles plus, below 5c my range can drop to 140.

Over the last couple of warm days driving on motorway at sensible 60 I was getting 4.2m/kWh, so that’s 239.4m range ... happy with that 👍

That is cool sparrow I am lucky been charging mine during the day by solar and when 100% a smile on my face 🙂😃

i wish i got solar, but the savings charging at home are great, too late in my time to recoup paying for panels now.

i wish i got solar, but the savings charging at home are great, too late in my time to recoup paying for panels now.
With the rising cost of electric the returns for solar are about 7 years for 4.8Kw system if you add in your car.

@manictomb Which charging unit have you got at home to take advantage of your solar panels?
I too use solar panels to charge, Wall Box is tuned down to 13A and the MK1 finger to manage it.

Plug it in when sunny, unplug when not. The last few days have been superb.

Not a perfect "smart" solution but the increase in electricity usage has been negligible.

Install a zappi charger will monitor your solar output and can change your charging rate so you only charge with excess solar and can use your ev tariff in the night also.
that's a really convenient way to do it I just feel for a £1000 plus I can travel 50k plus miles using the granny charger, and the zappi won't be quicker as it's turned down to 13amp apart from night time, but I would avoid night time charging as I want to use solar power. Utilizing solar at home and work I have covered 7300miles and spent less than £100 charging my 5. Obviously this might not be sustainable but currently it's working for me.

Hi padaung my ev charger is from pod point and the guy who installed it told me he has solar panels to and he told me to plug in during the day and the electric that goes to the grid that I don't use during the day will go to the car instead 👍

Unless it's a really sunny day or you have a significant size solar array you are unlikely to be able to provide ALL the power your car will ask for from solar, but it will help.

How much roughly does it cost for installation of enough soler panels to charge a car. Do you need a storage battery.??

That will depend on the rate you want to charge at 2.5kW 7kW. 12 panels that is the max on the average size detached house will produce just under 5kW at max out put middle of a sunny day. If you could get 18 panels would give you over 7 kW. But this would only produce this for 3-4 hours each sunny day giving you 21-28kw of charge this would cost about 9K if you want batteries for storage it's about £800 per 2.5kW of storage. So I guess the cost will depend on what you want to achieve.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom