Anyone on Octopus Energy Tariff?

CarbonEV

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I'm looking to switch to Octopus Energy GO tariff but currently, it says my EV, of course the MG4, and my Smart Charger, Easee, are not compatible,

Has anyone had success with perhaps switching from a compatible car to a non-compatible car?

Would there be any issues?

It seems like you have to link the car within the Octopus Energy app?

Just a little confusing, can anyone clarify please?

Octopus Go has no requirements.

Intelligent Octopus Go requires you to have either a compatible car (MGs are not, MG will not let third parties access their API), or a compatible charger. In order to sign up you need to complete a test charge where Octopus verify they can control the charge process via the car or the charger.

Octopus Go has no requirements.

Intelligent Octopus Go requires you to have either a compatible car (MGs are not, MG will not let third parties access their API), or a compatible charger. In order to sign up you need to complete a test charge where Octopus verify they can control the charge process via the car or the charger.

Ah ok,

I really hope the Easee One gets added then soon.

Ah ok,

I really hope the Easee One gets added then soon.
Highly unlikely that the Easee will be added - the Zappi was always 'very nearly ready ' for about the last year and only went live about a month ago.

Never been any mention of the Easee so currently it's only Ohme, Wallbox and Zappi.

Highly unlikely that the Easee will be added - the Zappi was always 'very nearly ready ' for about the last year and only went live about a month ago.

Never been any mention of the Easee so currently it's only Ohme, Wallbox and Zappi.

Thanks for the heads up,

I've signed up the regular Octopus GO as I was just fed up with British Gas.

I tried to switch over the weekend, online and via that app. I'm using a granny lead and home socket, though it wouldn't let me switch using that option and selecting MG4.

It's on my to-do list to call them later, hopefully, they can manually switch me over to it.

Leaving British Gas, just when they have fixed their scheduling issues, 🤣,bye ✋.

Q John 🤛

3 hours on customer services, no one knows what to do and what’s happening.

Firstly, the EV tariff option disappeared for my account.

I started ringing at 8am and the phones don’t open till 9am.

9am I get on the phone, I don’t finish till 1pm.

4 hours and no one could help as to why the EV tariff won’t show. It was showing fine a few days before.

Then had to call back next day, 1 hour, close my account.

Then set up a new account on the EV tariff fine.

However, the account just never loaded correctly and kept saying “something not quite ready”.

I was assured it would be fixed within 28 days.

It wasn’t, and I wasn’t able to fully make use of the EV Off Peak.

So another 3 hours yesterday to get the account closed as I kept getting put through to different departments as apparently, my account is on the old & new system.

And they still haven’t closed it correctly, I got no confirmation even though I got told within 1 hour I would.

—-

So yeah, I’m done with British Gas, if you ever have to call for an issue, it’s a big pain.

Slightly confused- gen 1 2020 ZS. Last time looked on Octopus app- MG was supported, but charger isn’t , Free2Charge Wallbox. Does this mean I could use EV tariff ?

Slightly confused- gen 1 2020 ZS. Last time looked on Octopus app- MG was supported, but charger isn’t , Free2Charge Wallbox. Does this mean I could use EV tariff ?

Some EV tariffs such as Intelligent Octopus require you to have either a compatible car or a compatible charger. MG is not a compatible car.

Compatible chargers for Intelligent are Ohme Pro, Zappi or Wallbox.

Virtually any smart charger (does it have an app ?) will work with Octopus Go, and most other EV tariffs, so you can use those EV tariffs.

Thanks, yes it has app which can control the charger. Obviously Gen 1 doesn’t link with MG app and doesn’t have the same level of managing/monitoring charge ( such as setting 80% cut off). Will get back to Octopus to pursue

The information on various websites is confusing about which dual tariffs you can use with which EV and chargers. As I don’t have compatible charter/EV (podpoint/MG4 Trophy). I am on Octopus Go but it works well charging between 00:30 and 04:30 @9p per kWh. You have to go on their standard tariff first for a few weeks before switching to go. Most people don’t realise that with Octopus Intelligent, Octopus use your car battery as a temp store. So while your car is plugged in they may discharge elec from your car to the network at a higher rate than that paid for by octopus when your car was charging as the wholesale cost of electricity fluctuates over 24 hours. This is why you have to have a compatible charger and car. on octopus go with my trophy I tend to charge up to 80% most nights and the 4 hrs is mostly ok for this and then charge to 100% the night before a long journey. All controlled from my phone. It works well.

Most people don’t realise that with Octopus Intelligent, Octopus use your car battery as a temp store. So while your car is plugged in they may discharge elec from your car to the network at a higher rate than that paid for by octopus when your car was charging as the wholesale cost of electricity fluctuates over 24 hours. This is why you have to have a compatible charger and car.
Where have you got that from? I cannot see anything about V2G in the IOG FAQs etc.

And certainly not with an MG or my Ohme charger as neither support V2G.

The Octopus V2G product is called Powerloop.

Thats why you cannot sign up to Octopus intelligent because MG4 does not support it. I don’t know about the Ohme chargers. I saw an article a while back as basically it is a national trial of this approach to balancing the grid.

3 hours on customer services, no one knows what to do and what’s happening.

Firstly, the EV tariff option disappeared for my account.

I started ringing at 8am and the phones don’t open till 9am.

9am I get on the phone, I don’t finish till 1pm.

4 hours and no one could help as to why the EV tariff won’t show. It was showing fine a few days before.

Then had to call back next day, 1 hour, close my account.

Then set up a new account on the EV tariff fine.

However, the account just never loaded correctly and kept saying “something not quite ready”.

I was assured it would be fixed within 28 days.

It wasn’t, and I wasn’t able to fully make use of the EV Off Peak.

So another 3 hours yesterday to get the account closed as I kept getting put through to different departments as apparently, my account is on the old & new system.

And they still haven’t closed it correctly, I got no confirmation even though I got told within 1 hour I would.

—-

So yeah, I’m done with British Gas, if you ever have to call for an issue, it’s a big pain.
I’ve been battling with them since the 6th October. Went from fully functional smart prepay to credit which never worked ev tariff and a now bodged install of a new meter.

If you or anyone are in a position to leave BG I thoroughly recommend it even GO would be a blessing compared to BG ineptitude (granted you lose an hour off peak vs BG). They have been a large part of the reason I’m seriously thinking of throwing the towel in with an EV full stop.

@kevinji

Not sure why you think you can't sign up for Octopus Intelligent Go with an MG4.

I've been on that tariff for just over two months. Sign-up was simple and the MG4 was listed as compatible.

I simply changed supplier to an Octopus normal tariff and two days later moved over to Intelligent.

I have an Ohme charger and I followed the instructions on the Facebook page that helps you set things up. Absolutely no problem.

Octopus Go Intelligent is a brilliant tariff, 7.5p from 23:30 to 05:30 for the whole house including the EV but if I plug my EV in the evening to "SmartCharge" Octopus generally starts to charge it immediately @7.5 pence Kwh including my house electricity. The charging slots can vary depending on grid load but last night my MG4 charged from 18:15 through to 23:30 so the whole house had cheap electricity from early evening right through to 05:30.

My monthly average tariff is 12.5p Kwh. A lot better than the average 30p Kwh.

@kevinji

Not sure why you think you can't sign up for Octopus Intelligent Go with an MG4.

I've been on that tariff for just over two months. Sign-up was simple and the MG4 was listed as compatible.

I simply changed supplier to an Octopus normal tariff and two days later moved over to Intelligent.

I have an Ohme charger and I followed the instructions on the Facebook page that helps you set things up. Absolutely no problem.

Octopus Go Intelligent is a brilliant tariff, 7.5p from 23:30 to 05:30 for the whole house including the EV but if I plug my EV in the evening to "SmartCharge" Octopus generally starts to charge it immediately @7.5 pence Kwh including my house electricity. The charging slots can vary depending on grid load but last night my MG4 charged from 18:15 through to 23:30 so the whole house had cheap electricity from early evening right through to 05:30.

My monthly average tariff is 12.5p Kwh. A lot better than the average 30p Kwh.
From what I gather you need a supported charger or supported car. The ohme is supported hence it worked, those that don’t have a supported charger seem to be out of luck and can only have GO - the fixed window 12-4 at a slightly higher rate than intelligent.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom