Apple CarPlay Connectivity - Maps, Spotify

CMack

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Fourth query for today.
Aus MG4 Essence
I have connected my iPhone 15 via CarPlay.

Google Maps- the car doesn’t seem to recognise or download the map. All I see is the single road I’m on. I have 4-5 bars of 5G, which the car shows. It either doesn’t load at all, or loads after many minutes. Photo attached.

Spotify - “Loading Please Wait” spinning wheel of death. Photo attached.
Sometimes it connects sometimes it doesn’t. Again, I have 4-5 bars on 5G, so not a phone connectivity/data issue.

Have done on off on off close restart open close on off etc. still having problems.

With Spotify, it should show a mini Spotify currently playing logo, which if I use the right function button, which is already set for infotainment, I should be able to play, pause and adjust volume etc. however the button doesn’t do anything at all when in Spotify. I have to use the main display to adjust controls.

Lastly, when using Spotify (maybe other CarPlay apps as well, haven’t tested), the drag down function of the air con on the main display doesn’t work. I have to press the Home button, then drag down for ACC. When in Spotify, I can se the mini AC status on the top of the screen, but pushing/ pressing, dragging down doesn’t do anything.

Help please!

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpeg
    IMG_0799.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 36
We need the infotainment version you are on so others can compare.
First question: did you try car play from your phone to other cars?
Second question: have you checked the obvious: is data enabled for Google Maps and Spotify?
Are you running the latest apps? The latest OS? Have you asked Google whether this is a known issue not just unique to the MG4?

Just food for thought.

Ensure you are using a high speed cable where the USB plug does not have a white insert.
There are other threads on Apple CarPlay which may help.

We need the infotainment version you are on so others can compare.
First question: did you try car play from your phone to other cars?
Second question: have you checked the obvious: is data enabled for Google Maps and Spotify?
Are you running the latest apps? The latest OS? Have you asked Google whether this is a known issue not just unique to the MG4?

Just food for thought.
Hello.
Not sure of version. The car is a week old, 2023 model MG4 Essence, and the tech was “updated” as part of delivery.
I don’t have easy access to another car that has CarPlay. I suppose I can drive to MG and test there. But no, haven’t tried alternate cars.
All obvious checks have been done (on off uninstall reinstall updates cable changes, phone on off car on off, unplug plug in) etc. As I said, I’ve had the car a week and have been troubleshooting constantly since. First pass was Google then this forum. Next stop MG assist hotline.
Googling “CarPlay” with electric vehicles just brings up promos for Apple CarPlay etc. haven’t found anything useful, hence the creation of this thread.
I purchased a super fast cable specifically for CarPlay data. My phone shows correct info with Google maps and Spotify, but it isn’t all showing on the infotainment system. No problem with phone or cable. Leads me to suspect the car tech…

Ensure you are using a high speed cable where the USB plug does not have a white insert.
There are other threads on Apple CarPlay which may help.
Yes, first “generic” cable didn’t work. Purchased super fast data cable. I’ll keep looking for other threads. So far I’ve just seen “how to connect” not data presentation issues…
I have ordered a CarPlay dongle as the cable is just silly in my opinion. Perhaps that changes thing (to normal or worse)..

Bear in mind that he's in Oz so version numbers may not reveal much to us UK dwellers. :)
Of course, I just want to make sure that this forum is useful to anyone who might come across this thread and if they are from Oz and lend a hand even better.
forums are a great place to ask for help, but without providing essential information becomes a he said she said thing

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back