• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Apple CarPlay

ARealHuman

Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Connected my phone up with a certified Apple cable - but not an actual Apple cable - today to use CarPlay. A couple of times it just stopped working and threw me back to the main media centre screen, with the CarPlay icon greyed out. I had to unplug/plug the phone to get it working again. Anyone else have this? It happended three times today whilst driving. The same cable/phone has been used in a completely different CarPlay-compatible car without any issues.

I have no issues with CarPlay whatsoever, really love it. 300 miles so far not one glitch.

I learned from my three years with CarPlay in my old gla is that most problems can be solved by using proper Apple cables. Certified might not be good enough.

9/10 issues with connectivity was because of non Apple cables.

I will mail you a cable for testing if you like.

I finally got apple CarPlay to work by accident after seven months. I had the phone plugged in prior to starting the car and it connected up.

I finally got apple CarPlay to work by accident after seven months. I had the phone plugged in prior to starting the car and it connected up.

This did not make any difference with the „faulty“ cabels I tryed.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll try an offical Apple cable, I have one somewhere...

@lee graham - thanks for the offer, will try an offical cable and see how I get on.

Well, tried an official and known working cable today and guess what? CarPlay dopped out whulst using maps :mad: Will try the forget phone thing and start over to see if that makes a difference.

I’ve had a few issues with Apple play. For it to connect whilst lock you go to Settings>Touch ID & Passcode. Go to "Allow Access When Locked" and flip the switch for USB Accessories. Also mine kept dropping out the other week . I noticed the screen was glitching Which was causing the problem. I turned the screen off then on and that resolved the glitch/drop out

Maybe try disabling Bluetooth and deleting any stored pairing history.

Which iPhone do you have and what version of iOS do you run?

iOS 14 is released today!! If you’re not planning on jailbreaking then it looks like they’ve really improved CarPlay.

Tried it earlier after using @Alambros's advice (forgot about the "forget" thing, ironically). It dropped out early on, probably less than 2 or 3 minutes into my journey, but then didn't disconnect at all for the ramining 4 minutes or so.

How is the battery health on your phone? Have you had the battery replaced?
6260B6E0-A27E-438C-A525-C41FD4D35A14.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a nice dispaly, mine looks nothing like that with CarPlay on! No, my battery hasn't been repalced but as the phone is powered when connected to the car I don't see this being a factor.

It’s the dashboard that came with iOS 13, now even better with google map integration. Dark mode and various wallpapers too. No lag and makes MGs offering look like my first infotainment.

I was just thinking battery because CarPlay puts strain on your phone because it’s effectively Two displays. Your phone is maybe throttling/struggling even when charging? My old iPhone 6 was flaky until I replaced battery.

I had my first CarPlay issue last night. Infotainment would not recognise my phone, that same USB port was not providing power to even charge my phone. I was annoyed and thought I would try again in morning.

Earlier today there was power to usb, infotainment showed CarPlay icon but would not initiate connection. I had to plug in second iPhone which worked instantly and only then it would connect to my original phone. I’ve never seen behaviour like this before.

It’s the dashboard that came with iOS 13, now even better with google map integration. Dark mode and various wallpapers too. No lag and makes MGs offering look like my first infotainment.

I was just thinking battery because CarPlay puts strain on your phone because it’s effectively Two displays. Your phone is maybe throttling/struggling even when charging? My old iPhone 6 was flaky until I replaced battery.

I had my first CarPlay issue last night. Infotainment would not recognise my phone, that same USB port was not providing power to even charge my phone. I was annoyed and thought I would try again in morning.

Earlier today there was power to usb, infotainment showed CarPlay icon but would not initiate connection. I had to plug in second iPhone which worked instantly and only then it would connect to my original phone. I’ve never seen behaviour like this before.

Thanks. Hmmmm, given your experience, maybe it's an MG issue?

I’ve travelled over 46,000 miles with CarPlay and the only issues have always been with non Apple cables, until last night.

I can’t understand why it stopped working mid-trip, why it failed to reconnect after resets and why it needed a 2nd iPhone to work again. Crazy.

Makes it difficult to troubleshoot when the problem is intermittent.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom