Apps and Charge Cards - which do you recommend?

DonLeslie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm doing my first long UK motorway trip London to Manchester shortly in my 2021 MG ZS Exc. Which Apps should I load on my phone, or chargecards to keep in my wallet?
I appreciate that this newbie question has probably already been answered a hundred times, but I'm looking for your latest advice, please.
(Oh, I can feel the range anxiety already....)

I'm doing my first long UK motorway trip London to Manchester shortly in my 2021 MG ZS Exc. Which Apps should I load on my phone, or chargecards to keep in my wallet?
I appreciate that this newbie question has probably already been answered a hundred times, but I'm looking for your latest advice, please.
(Oh, I can feel the range anxiety already....)
You don't need to be an Octopus Energy (Electric & Gas) supply to have an Electric Juice card, you do need to oped an account with Octopus Energy, but just for the Electric Juice card, I joined and used the Electric Juice card on a MER fast charger in Dorset, all good.

They've just rebranded to Electroverse as they now cover charging networks in several countries, and that could be really helpful for those on European holidays. Especially as there's no pre-auth charges on your card.

If you travelling soon then it maybe a bit late to get RFID cards sent out.
Instavolt are very reliable and the app works well and you can use contactless payment.
Bonnet can be a bit lagging, I spent 10 minutes trying to get an Osprey charger working this afternoon.
PodPoint are probably the cheapest.
Check out Zap-map to find them along your route.

They've just rebranded to Electroverse as they now cover charging networks in several countries, and that could be really helpful for those on European holidays. Especially as there's no pre-auth charges on your card.
Just to echo this, I went around Western France and used the Electric Juice app and card almost entirely. It was easy to use, and in Brittany and Loire I found that a lot of the chargers were free.

The only time I didn’t was a 3AM drive up to Caen on the Autoroute when I stopped and used an Ionity charger for 15 minutes or so.

If you travelling soon then it maybe a bit late to get RFID cards sent out.
Instavolt are very reliable and the app works well and you can use contactless payment.
Bonnet can be a bit lagging, I spent 10 minutes trying to get an Osprey charger working this afternoon.
PodPoint are probably the cheapest.
Check out Zap-map to find them along your route.
I used the Osprey chargers at Banbury using Bonnet and worked perfectly, charging in no time at all. I think it depends on the age/type of Osprey charger.
Banbury has more chargers than you can shake a stick at which is why I chose it to stop at each way to Southampton and back.
6 150kW Ospreys, 12 Tesla, 8 Instavolts, a Geniepoint and a podpoint.
Those Ospreys were quick, I got 93kW and charged car before I could finish my coffee. 😂 but to answer the OP question, other than Bonnet, for the freebies, I have never used an app or RFID despite having them all my phone, always contactless.

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_133303981_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220824_133303981_HDR.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 114
I am with Octopus Energy and like the idea of the Electroverse/Juice card for longer distances but their coverage in the South East (East Sussex/Kent) is non existent. (I know it's usually the other way round compared with the rest of the country so I'm not complaining, just an observation)

I wonder why?

Screenshot_20220830-120020_Chrome.jpg

I am with Octopus Energy and like the idea of the Electroverse/Juice card for longer distances but their coverage in the South East (East Sussex/Kent) is non existent. (I know it's usually the other way round compared with the rest of the country so I'm not complaining, just an observation)

I wonder why?

I know that feeling I live and work in that big empty space along that A120. Luckily work are installing chargers for us company car drivers, which is lucky as our Allstar fuel cards don't cover anything nearby (probably the same charging companies as above!)

If EV charging were as simple and convenient and evenly priced as filling with petrol or diesel, I would say just the debit and/or credit card of your choice.

But it isn't and seems to have been deliberately designed that way.

I wont even think about using the words "Price" and "Gouging" in the same sentence. Or anywhere on this post.

I live where it says a120 and work near the first charge location on the left down the A12.. Which BTW is not publically accessible. The default filter on the ej app is also all chargers filter it to ej compatible and it is even smaller. However other areas of the country are better covered.

If EV charging were as simple and convenient and evenly priced as filling with petrol or diesel, I would say just the debit and/or credit card of your choice.

But it isn't and seems to have been deliberately designed that way.

I wont even think about using the words "Price" and "Gouging" in the same sentence. Or anywhere on this post.
@Fluffykins please note my post #9 above. I have driven all over the country and never 'needed' an app.
My recent stop at Banbury had a choice of 3 different charge supplier all usable by contactless.
6 x 150kW Ospreys, 8 x Instavolts, and a Geniepoint.
I could have used one of the 12 Tesla but didn't because that would have required an app. :)

Come to think of it other than Tesla which commonly used chargers do require an app ? Not Gridserve, Not Osprey, not Shell, not Geniepoint, not Instavolt, not Fastned, not Ionity.

Come to think of it other than Tesla which commonly used chargers do require an app ? Not Gridserve, Not Osprey, not Shell, not Geniepoint, not Instavolt, not Fastned, not Ionity.
Are you saying InstaVolt, Geniepoint, osprey, Fastned and Ionity , no app or card needed?

Last edited:
I used the Osprey chargers at Banbury using Bonnet and worked perfectly, charging in no time at all. I think it depends on the age/type of Osprey charger.
Banbury has more chargers than you can shake a stick at which is why I chose it to stop at each way to Southampton and back.
6 150kW Ospreys, 12 Tesla, 8 Instavolts, a Geniepoint and a podpoint.
Those Ospreys were quick, I got 93kW and charged car before I could finish my coffee. 😂 but to answer the OP question, other than Bonnet, for the freebies, I have never used an app or RFID despite having them all my phone, always contactless.

That's my usual long trip, Leeds and back.

Can you recall your SOC at Banbury up and down, please? I've been using Rugby Moto services but have a Bonnet sub giving me 44p charging...

That's my usual long trip, Leeds and back.

Can you recall your SOC at Banbury up and down, please? I've been using Rugby Moto services but have a Bonnet sub giving me 44p charging...
Going down started at 100%, 153 miles arrived at 34%. Coming back started at 81% arrived with 37% filled up to 90%, arrived Leeds with 26%.
Banbury Cross retail park about 1.5 - 2 miles off the M40. Only refreshment places are pizza hut, used the loos there no bother and no order. Got coffee from Costa and loos there too.
As mentioned before these are speedy chargers the Ospreys and by the time I'd drunk my sit in coffee the car was up to 90% whoops. ACC at 65 and 70 for last 60 miles home. Journey down no-one else on them, coming back 1 or 2 others on as well.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom