Apps - RFID Cards - what do you need in 2022?

I s
Indeed. I really rate Octopus and Zen Internet. Both have loyalty/affiliate schemes I never post the codes because it then feels like my endorsement is financially motivated.

Ive snagged the bonnet app, but will hold off signing up until I know I'm going to use it. No point have a freebie allowance starting when I'm not planning any long range trips for 3 months.
I signed up for the Bonnet app using the FULLYCHARGED code and the free month is sitting waiting in my 'Promotions' folder as an ongoing discount, ready to activate when needed.

So it doesn't start automatically when you sign up, get in there while the discount code still works.

I was also sent a promotion code last week for a free charge over the weekend, which I sadly wasn't able to take advantage of, hopefully there will be more. :)

I put this on another thread on the forum -

On my phone I have:

Zap Map
ABRP
WattsUP
PlugShare
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Pod Point
MFG EV Power
InstaVolt
Electric Highway (Ecotricity)
BP Me
ChargeCar
NeedToCharge (recently added)
Osprey Charging.

I carry the following cards with me:

ChargePoint
Pod Point
Swarco E.Connect
Charge your car

On my key ring:

BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Alfa Power

Registered my CC with GeniePoint

Credit and/or Debit cards are becoming more popular, for example on GridServe.

For my ICE car all I need is cash (funny idea I know), and my CC.

On my phone I have:

Zap Map
ABRP
WattsUP
PlugShare
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Pod Point
MFG EV Power
InstaVolt
BP Me
ChargeCar
Osprey Charging.

ChargePoint
Pod Point
Swarco E.Connect
Charge your car

On my key ring:

BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Alfa Power

Covering all bases then 😁

I s

I signed up for the Bonnet app using the FULLYCHARGED code and the free month is sitting waiting in my 'Promotions' folder as an ongoing discount, ready to activate when needed.

So it doesn't start automatically when you sign up, get in there while the discount code still works.

I was also sent a promotion code last week for a free charge over the weekend, which I sadly wasn't able to take advantage of, hopefully there will be more. :)
This discount code is still working and gives you a free month of whatever plan you choose (100% discount off your 1st month) the top plan is for 200kWh, normal price is £50 but would be £0 for the 1st month. you can cancel at anytime and unused kWh carry over to the following month. You can also gain reward points from various things with in the app and when you reach reward milestones you win a mystery prize. By registering and going through a few surveys, i have had 2 prizes, one of 5kWh and one of 2 kWh of free power. most of the chargers available near me through Bonnet are the Osprey 50kwh chargers, but there are also Shell 150kWh chargers in some areas by the look of it. Its worth doing this IMHO because as @Gomev said, the discount sits in your account until you are ready to use it. Just need an EV now :) fingers crossed :D

I had added another 2 codes to my wallet, one for 50% off with an expiry date to be used last weekend and another for a free charge, no expiry date.
As I hadn't tested the DC charging since I got the car I decided to give it a try on an Osprey not too far away.
All went well with the charge but I couldn't see where I selected the code to use for the charge.
Anyway it automatically selected it for me, the 50% with an expiry date, so all in all a successful DC charge test.

On my phone I have:

Zap Map
ABRP
WattsUP
PlugShare
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Pod Point
MFG EV Power
InstaVolt
BP Me
ChargeCar
Osprey Charging.

ChargePoint
Pod Point
Swarco E.Connect
Charge your car

On my key ring:

BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Alfa Power

I'm inspired by your perseverance and dedication Dave, but I have gone back to HS PHEV from MG5SR. Infrastructure was doing my head in!

Am I missing something obvious with Bonnet? It seems too good to be true.

According to their app I can charge up at an Osprey near me and be charged £0.35/kWh instead of the £0.57/kWh that Osprey charge, without any subscription?

Am I missing something obvious with Bonnet? It seems too good to be true.

According to their app I can charge up at an Osprey near me and be charged £0.35/kWh instead of the £0.57/kWh that Osprey charge, without any subscription?
I suspect that they are paying heavily to build a client base, by the current low cost compared to the original provider (Osprey, Ionity etc) but also by their large number of free charges. I've accumulated 7 free charges so far which has saved me around £100, but conversely has cost someone around £100. I just hope that they have good financial people at the helm who have a long term plan to keep Bonnet sustainable.

I suspect that they are paying heavily to build a client base, by the current low cost compared to the original provider (Osprey, Ionity etc) but also by their large number of free charges. I've accumulated 7 free charges so far which has saved me around £100, but conversely has cost someone around £100. I just hope that they have good financial people at the helm who have a long term plan to keep Bonnet sustainable.
How do you get free charges?

How do you get free charges?
This thread from a couple of months ago gave 5 free charges - Bonnet App - More Free Leccy Codes
and there have been 1 free since. If you have more than 1 phone, you can open two accounts and double up on the free charges. I think that 'FIRSTCHARGE2' is the only working freeby at the moment.

Also, if you haven’t charged using their app in a while (more than a week or two) they will give you 25% off your next charge.
You can collect ‘stars’ for completing ‘tasks’ and uploading photos of chargers and these add up to other discounts, usually free kW credited to your account.
I charge exclusively using Bonnet and some home charge to 100%. I’m on the 200kW per Mth account. This means I was able to charge at an Ionity charger at the M25 services for just 25p/kW.

On my phone I have:

Zap Map
ABRP
WattsUP
PlugShare
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Pod Point
MFG EV Power
InstaVolt
BP Me
ChargeCar
Osprey Charging.

ChargePoint
Pod Point
Swarco E.Connect
Charge your car

On my key ring:

BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Alfa Power

Only need to get the car now😂😂😂😂

On my phone I have:

Zap Map
ABRP
WattsUP
PlugShare
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Pod Point
MFG EV Power
InstaVolt
BP Me
ChargeCar
Osprey Charging.

ChargePoint
Pod Point
Swarco E.Connect
Charge your car

On my key ring:

BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Alfa Power

You've just proved the point that we need a 1 card system for all ALL chargers - saves having to buy extra data on your phone etc. ...

Or just a bank card with no sign up, like, oh, I don't know, every other purchase you make including Fuel! 🙄
That is the case for a lot of machines, and I can see it becoming a legal requirement for all at some stage. One of the issues is the pre-authorisation taken by some - and not returned according to the various Twitter threads - especially when a charge can fail several times and the pre-authorisation fee held for each.

You don't need pre-authorisation for any Fuel purchase or any other non-online service/product either. So why do they feel the need to do so for Charging?

You don't need pre-authorisation for any Fuel purchase or any other non-online service/product either. So why do they feel the need to do so for Charging?
A £1 pre-authorisation is pretty common - was there not a report about Sainburys increasing the self serve pre-auth to £99 due to increased number of cars not having enough money in account to cover the cost of the fuel.

Anyway, BP are the worse offenders for holding your money in the EV world. Point being, that a pre-auth should be refunded after the actual payment made - not held indefinitely.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom