Asda free charging

That's what someone told me. But it doesn't compute. I was checking it with a friend one evening and it was absolutely clear that our local charge point was clear, both from ChargePlace Scotland and ZapMap (and personal observation about ten minutes later), but it was orange on Plugshare. It's always orange on Plugshare.

To me it seems that rapid chargers are orange and type 2 (only) chargers are green. They don't change colour.

Also, when a charge-point has more than one connector, I want to know how many are currently in use.

That's what someone told me. But it doesn't compute. I was checking it with a friend one evening and it was absolutely clear that our local charge point was clear, both from ChargePlace Scotland and ZapMap (and personal observation about ten minutes later), but it was orange on Plugshare. It's always orange on Plugshare.

To me it seems that rapid chargers are orange and type 2 (only) chargers are green. They don't change colour.

Also, when a charge-point has more than one connector, I want to know how many are currently in use.
Ah, edit that. Orange are CCS, green are Level 2. If you go into filters, make sure the "In Use Stations" is on. The in use chargers should appear grey on the map as far as I can tell.

Edit: I can see grey chargers on the map now, so it looks like that is the answer. :)

What about knowing how many connectors are in use? I sometimes use a car park with eight type 2 connectors. It matters to me whether only one is in use or whether seven are.

Maybe this will help.

If you click on the grey icon, it will tell you how many of each type are there and how many are in use ( which will be all of them as it's grey. I've just tried it at random on the map).

Click on the charger you are aiming for, if it's orange or green, it means plugs are available and it will tell you how many are in use and how many are available.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I still can't see how to set up filters, but I did see some very good news. Rapid chargers being installed at a filling station about 12 miles north of me, actually the last one I used in my ICE car before I got the MG and one I find very convenient. If I'm in any difficulty coming home from that direction, that's the answer.

I'm working on memorising the available rapid chargers in a 10-20 mile radius from home on various roads, so that if I find myself a bit short on charge in winter while on the way home, I know where I can get some.

Did you know that if the government charged the same rate of tax to non-home-chargers, Gridserve would only cost £0.60 per kW/hr. That's because VAT is only 5% for home charging but 20% for all others. That's a quarter of the countrys population, who cannot have home chargers, dissadvantaged.

Almost criminal in my opinion and totally aginst the governments own policy to encourage all into EVs by 2030.

Went to (among other places) Rhyl yesterday, where my grandmother lived and I spent many happy summers back in the 60s/70s. On Electroverse I found a lump of 16+ chargers near the town centre in a municipal car park, not on ZapMap. Only 4 (or maybe 6) were CCS but all 16 bar one were empty for the 40 minutes I was there.

It does make it hard to judge just where we are with provisioning.

Did you know that if the government charged the same rate of tax to non-home-chargers, Gridserve would only cost £0.60 per kW/hr. That's because VAT is only 5% for home charging but 20% for all others. That's a quarter of the countrys population, who cannot have home chargers, dissadvantaged.

Almost criminal in my opinion and totally aginst the governments own policy to encourage all into EVs by 2030.
Or you could say that people with home chargers are unfairly advantaged over those who don't and in particular those still using fossil fuels, which attract fuel tax and 25% VAT.

Whatever, I think you will see the government tax take on EVs increasing over the next few years so brace yourself!! They have to make money somewhere!!

Maybe this will help.

If you click on the grey icon, it will tell you how many of each type are there and how many are in use ( which will be all of them as it's grey. I've just tried it at random on the map).

Click on the charger you are aiming for, if it's orange or green, it means plugs are available and it will tell you how many are in use and how many are available.
Don't forget the only (mostly) reliable way to find out if chargers are in use is by the charge companies own app (and not always then). They don't all share their network/charger status with the reference apps like ZM and Plugshare.

I must be doing something wrong. Lidl somewhere on the Wirral has a charger (albeit not working atm) but I don't think I saw it on ZapMap.

Maybe that's why it isn't on ZapMap. I've noticed disappearing chargers, and on investigation they turn out to be unavailable for some reason - for hotel guests only, or residents' association only or things like that. Maybe the delete chargers they know are long-term non-functional.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom