Attempting Summer Break in Scotland

They suggest the card in case the mobile reception is dodgy, but obviously you can do the app thing or even pay by bank card on most of the chargers I think.
I had terrible trouble connecting to the 22kW chargers when I only had the app. Since getting the card, the same chargers have worked first time every time. Maybe I was just unlucky with the app.

Ditto - I got my card in March 2022 (in readiness for a Volvo PHEV company car I was expecting, but then was cancelled by Volvo), but I still haven't used it. Maybe I should give it a try on the local CPS charge points.

The day after I ordered the car I wandered over to the village charger (which is outside the church) after the church service. There was a big silver car with DK plates up almost finished charging and I had a chat with the driver. He told me to get a CPS card, although not having an address in Scotland he couldn't have one (I saw him using his bank card). So I did.

I've used it at least a dozen times on that charger, first just to practise, and then when I realised it was cheaper than my home electricity, to get up to ~90% fast then finish to 100% on the granny charger. I've also used the card at a type 2 charger in a car park in Glasgow while I went to the theatre, and on a free charger at Dawyck Botanic Gardens (free electricity, but by the time you've had lunch and paid for entry to the gardens, and been round the plant sale and the gift shop, not exactly a massive saving!) It lives in that wee net pocket in the centre console, and it's a motoring essential.

The guy with the DK plates was very reassuring, saying he drove between Denmark and central Scotland regularly and never had any trouble with charging. (And no, I don't think it was a Tesla.)

It sounds like the card is worth a go. Add to the pile I’ve already got, not one of which has actually worked or been useful yet. Electric universe, shell recharge, geniepoint, charge point, I think I’ve got all the jokers 😀

It's £12 now. But yes.

Gridserve still works on the M74 too. There are also banks of new Applegreen chargers at Gretna and Abington, thought some people (including me) have reported difficulty getting their cars to connect to these. (One suggestion is to power down the car from the infotainment screen before starting.)
Yes Gridserve does work on M74 - I tend to use charge place Scotland when over the border as charging rates much better value - some rapid chargers are still foc!

I haven't found those! But yes, off the motorway they're the go-to chargers. I always carry the card, sometimes you get a pleasant surprise like the free type 2 chargers at Dawyck, which are only open to CPS members.

I have made the journey a number of times in a ZS gen 1 - just don’t try it on a bank holiday weekend! Once in Scotland I use the excellent ChargePlace Scotland chargers- worth splashing out £10 for a proximity card as weak phone signal can affect app access. M6 Grid serve works well until you reach M74.

Dave
Thank you , will take your advise if I do make the trip

There is now a method for overseas visitors who do not have a UK bank account to create a Charge Place Scotland (CPS) account and even get a card (posted to a UK address)

I have tried helping several overseas visitors surprised by their first visit to a CPS charger and alarmed by the inability to connect or register on the app - so this is a much needed work around.

Several of the frustrated drivers I met had hired EVs - so having made the low carbon choice and paid higher car hire fees they were very surprised to be stymied on the Scottish Govt charger network. Would be logical for the car hire firms to provide a suitable RFID and charge a premium on the kWh used.

From Central Scotland my trips further N Include:
  • Cairngorms, based in Aboyne and using the CPS chargers in Aboyne and Braemar (Scotland's highest charger?)
  • Spean Bridge, cottage had 7kW charger at no cost
  • Benbecula (Outer Hebrides) via Uig ferry on Skye, slow single track roads avg 4.7miles/kWh. Several new chargers behind the Morrisions in Fort William

Failte gu Alba

Fàilte a dh'Alba, but they seem to think that wouldn't look so good on the road signs.

I've never tried the app to connect. It looks as if it would do it, but having the card I simply use the card. Absolutely, it needs to be made as easy as possible for foreign visitors to use the charger network, and that applies everywhere. I've heard of people having a lot of trouble in Spain, and it would put me off going there. The idea of using foreign chargers worries me a bit in terms of repeating the Bavaria road trip - getting petrol abroad has never worried me, and getting a charge for an electric car should be no more difficult if only to encourage tourinsts.

I thought the guy with the DK plates up paid for the CPS charge with a Scottish bank card (he was actually Scottish), but I could have been mistaken. He certainly said he couldn't get a CPS card but advised me to get one.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back