Audio on power on

Amun

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
When my MG5 Trophy is powered up the audio automatically comes on - defaulting to whatever was on last. I can press mute to stop it and have now set the volume to it's lowest setting so that it's not irritating.

I much prefer the audio to stay off until I want it on, but can't find a setting - is there one?

There isn't one on the pre-facelift. I always use Android Auto so am not a fan of the radio coming on before the car connects, especially as we don't have a proper DAB radio, so none of the stations I listen to are available anyhow.

I have tuned the radio to AM and to a blank frequency so there is a low end hiss/hum sound until AA connects.

I don't use AA at all - the only time that I tried it with our Ford it seemed worse than the built-in satnav. It seems to be the way that things are going, though.

Turning the volume right down takes some of the annoyance away, but unless I remember to pause it then it carries on playing from the USB stick so I lose my place.

First world problem, I concede...

AA quality depends on the phone and signal as your phone does most of the work. I've used it for the last 5 years and think they've done the usual tech company thing of over-reaching what they will do. The maps and voice control seemed bullet proof when I first used it now its quite spotty.

The Missus just got a new Puma and the ford maps look quite good, I just can't see the point of the expense. I always download the google maps of where I am going to avoid signal outages.

There isn't one on the pre-facelift. I always use Android Auto so am not a fan of the radio coming on before the car connects, especially as we don't have a proper DAB radio, so none of the stations I listen to are available anyhow.

I have tuned the radio to AM and to a blank frequency so there is a low end hiss/hum sound until AA connects.
Try holding the button in the center of the dial until the unit goes off, it should stay off during next start of the car.

Think it was someone on here that told me that one when mine kept starting up on a radio station

That was in response to the comment on the pre facelift where it has a volume dial
Thanks but I still use the head unit every journey for AA audio! I just don't appreciate the radio coming on first at a louder volume than the AA sound (I have to crank the volume up to get an acceptable level of sound from AA) before the systems all talk to one another and work.

@Tweed98

Something my wife pointed out to me only last week; if, when the AA "maps voice" is actually speaking, you adjust its volume to your taste it seems to remember this level the next time you use it. So can be louder, or softer, than the radio, at your preference.

That certainly is the case for me, pre-facelift MG5.

@Tweed98

Something my wife pointed out to me only last week; if, when the AA "maps voice" is actually speaking, you adjust its volume to your taste it seems to remember this level the next time you use it. So can be louder, or softer, than the radio, at your preference.

That certainly is the case for me, pre-facelift MG5.
Thanks but my issue is the radio/android auto media volume disparity. I've already adjusted the voice bit to a decent volume but apps play a lot more quietly than the radio, so I turn the volume up to listen to streamed music. When I start the car I get the radio playing at the same volume setting but due to software witchcraft, it is a lot louder than the music I was listening to before.
My old car had a setting to lower the volume to a preset level every time you started the car. This was handy if my wife jumped in my car so I didn't deafen her/wake up the neighbours if I left early!

Hence I tune the radio to am and some dead space so I get a low-level static hiss.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before somewhere in this forum. The key if I remember is to alter the volume on the phone. Not just the general up/down volume control but in the bit that controls default volumes for various things.
In Android, in settings search for 'volume' no idea about IOS I'm afraid.

Just press the mute button on the steering wheel when you start up.
As a matter of interest, I've not tried it on ours, does the radio come on every time you start the car even if you turned the radio off before your last power down ?

Just press the mute button on the steering wheel when you start up.
As a matter of interest, I've not tried it on ours, does the radio come on every time you start the car even if you turned the radio off before your last power down ?
Yes, it does... No other car that I've ever had has set the radio to 'on' at startup.

Yes, it does... No other car that I've ever had has set the radio to 'on' at startup.
Agreed, my previous car would sit with the android auto/car play screen and no music playing until the phone connected.

Its strange, nothing else in the MG has any power/setting persistence between journey aside from the radio.

Just tried on my Gen 1 ZS and if I switch off the radio before I switch off the car it doesn't come on when I restart the car, same on SWMBO's first gen 5 SR.

Just tried on my Gen 1 ZS and if I switch off the radio before I switch off the car it doesn't come on when I restart the car, same on SWMBO's first gen 5 SR.
On an MG5 Trophy, there is no off button - there's only a mute button on the steering wheel or a pause button on the infotainment screen. If I leave it muted/paused then when I start the car it comes back on. It's a first world problem, but it's an irritating design flaw, and one that I hope will be changed in future software releases.

I thought it might be, press and hold the home button, but if it's the same as the MG4 that just restarts it. It doesn't appear to have an off option.

I thought it might be, press and hold the home button, but if it's the same as the MG4 that just restarts it. It doesn't appear to have an off option.
No - I hope that they'll change it in some future software release - but I won't hold my breath :)

Having said that, my Sonos system at home only has a pause/play button, so maybe this is the modern way of thinking. Personally, I think that it's rubbish.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom