• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Auto door Locking

Sparkycard

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good evening all.
My wife is finding the auto door locking a pain. Mainly as I don't remember to unlock the doors when I drop her off.
Can the auto door locking be turned off?

Not sure you can. I haven’t found anything in either the manual or the settings in the car.

I am very glad of Auto door locking.........I once had an un-invited passenger jump into my car as I slowed down to a crawl because of traffic......never been so frightened in my life......I'm pretty sure he was on drugs as there was no smelly booze! Keep your doors locked is my strong advice!

Last edited:
I am very glad of Auto door locking.........I once had an invited passenger jump into my car as I slowed down to a crawl because of traffic......never been so frightened in my life......I'm pretty sure he was on drugs as there was no smelly booze! Keep your doors locked is my strong advice!
I wouldn't be without auto locking doors now.......Was sat at traffic lights near my home in a previous car and suddenly the door shot open and a guy started pulling me out of the car while his mate stood there laughing......obviously both had been on the booze. If it hadn't been for the seat belt he would have had me out of the car on the floor......AUTO LOCKING DOORS A DEFINITE MUST FOR ME.

Just looked at my MG5 manual page 132 and it clearly states that you pull the door handle once to unlock it and again to open it. Tried this on the rear doors and cannot get them to open (I did have the child locks off by the way)

Just looked at my MG5 manual page 132 and it clearly states that you pull the door handle once to unlock it and again to open it. Tried this on the rear doors and cannot get them to open (I did have the child locks off by the way)

How did you lock the car to try it ?
I think it only works when the car self locks.

I wouldn't be without auto locking doors now.......Was sat at traffic lights near my home in a previous car and suddenly the door shot open and a guy started pulling me out of the car while his mate stood there laughing......obviously both had been on the booze. If it hadn't been for the seat belt he would have had me out of the car on the floor......AUTO LOCKING DOORS A DEFINITE MUST FOR ME.
Definitely! However, when you stop the car and turn off the engine then the doors automatically unlock. Is there a way to stop this?

That would make sense then. I locked it with the key.

That seems a bit unsafe.

What if i have to go to the store and i leave one of the kids (15 years old) in the car to endlessly stare at tiktok, while i run in to get a bag of potatoes, and the car catches fire or the kid for some reason needs to exit the vehicle. (Someone crashes into the parked car, the kid needs to pee or whatever)

On my current car, if i lock the car with the keyfob, they need to pull twice to open, but it will open.

Being unable to open the door from the inside if you locked the door with the key seems pretty dangerous

That seems a bit unsafe.

What if i have to go to the store and i leave one of the kids (15 years old) in the car to endlessly stare at tiktok, while i run in to get a bag of potatoes, and the car catches fire or the kid for some reason needs to exit the vehicle. (Someone crashes into the parked car, the kid needs to pee or whatever)

On my current car, if i lock the car with the keyfob, they need to pull twice to open, but it will open.

Being unable to open the door from the inside if you locked the door with the key seems pretty dangerous
It is... im pretty sure there is some legislation that states you must be able to exit a locked vehicle for safety reasons...

AKA deadlocking.
It's to prevent someone breaking a window and opening the door with interior handle to get in, meaning they have to climb through the window to actually enter the car a slight deterrent to theft. IIRC it's a requirement in the UK for insurance purposes.
As you say, it is dangerous to lock someone in the car, that's why many manufacturers advise against it, although there's no mention in the ZS manual.

AKA deadlocking.
It's to prevent someone breaking a window and opening the door with interior handle to get in, meaning they have to climb through the window to actually enter the car a slight deterrent to theft. IIRC it's a requirement in the UK for insurance purposes.
As you say, it is dangerous to lock someone in the car, that's why many manufacturers advise against it, although there's no mention in the ZS manual.
Certainly something to think about...

I am taking delivery of my car tomorrow, and before even considering, locking the door with someone inside, i will test this out.

I haven't read the manual THAT thoroughly so dont remember, but is there some button that an occupant can press to unlock the doors from the inside atleast.

The last 4 cars i owned has a button like this....But yeah, that would also kind of defeat the deadlocking.

Honestly i thought the deadlock was mainly to prevent someone coming in with a coathanger bending the door frame a bit, and pulling on the knob that pops up and down when you unlock and lock the car. (Or the mechanism inside the door, that it is attached to.)

Honestly i thought the deadlock was mainly to prevent someone coming in with a coathanger bending the door frame a bit, and pulling on the knob that pops up and down when you unlock and lock the car. (Or the mechanism inside the door, that it is attached to.)
That as well. (y)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom