Auto headlight dipping?

dgs99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I noticed for the first time last night that whenever I went to dip the headlights for oncoming traffic the headlights were already dipped.
The same also happened when I approached a vehicle from behind. Hadn't read this in the manual before but seems a very useful adjunct,
is this presumably picked up by radar?

Different cars use different technology. Some use inbuilt cameras to scan the lights of oncoming traffic and traffic in front of you to judge when high and low beam are required.

Others use laser or ultrasonic sensors to map the road in front. When they detect a car approaching, they will switch off the high beam to regular headlights and when it is safe to do so, switch back to high beams again.

Mg probably uses cameras.

Yeah - think it's the camera in the windscreen that's part of the MG Pilot lane keep assistance (assuming the SR doesn't have the auto dipping lights?).

I've turned it off just now - there is a thread kicking about where people have noticed an attempt to flash other road users resulted in main beam staying on - so turned off the Auto Headlights (in the menu options) to see if this resolves it.

Yeah - think it's the camera in the windscreen that's part of the MG Pilot lane keep assistance (assuming the SR doesn't have the auto dipping lights?).

I've turned it off just now - there is a thread kicking about where people have noticed an attempt to flash other road users resulted in main beam staying on - so turned off the Auto Headlights (in the menu options) to see if this resolves it.
I just came to the forum to work out how to do just that (turn it off!).
It's nice when the auto works but I've had too many instances of it automatically flashing cars I'm following /oncoming cars so decided to turn it off, thanks to your post biffo saved me searching the menus and it's now off for me.

Yep! I noticed the other night that I seemed to be inadvertently flashing oncoming traffic at times. I think that I’d better switch it off as well. The salesman had told me about this I remember now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom