Automatic headlight sensitivity

maskull

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've had an issue for a couple of months not serious but thought I'd post to see if it's a potential problem or not .
When driving along the heater lights flash up without warning momentarily . After a while I noticed the headlights were coming on at the same time . On further observations , it seemed to be during the twiilight hours and no problem in darkness .
The only conclusion I can come to is that the headlight sensors are getting confused as to the outside light levels . It can be a little dangerous as oncoming traffic could think I'm calling them through , so I tend to manually switch the lights on in half light .
I'll probably wait until my next service in March as I know how to deal with it at the moment .Anyone else have this problem or should I report it to the dealer ?

I've had an issue for a couple of months not serious but thought I'd post to see if it's a potential problem or not .
When driving along the heater lights flash up without warning momentarily . After a while I noticed the headlights were coming on at the same time . On further observations , it seemed to be during the twiilight hours and no problem in darkness .
The only conclusion I can come to is that the headlight sensors are getting confused as to the outside light levels . It can be a little dangerous as oncoming traffic could think I'm calling them through , so I tend to manually switch the lights on in half light .
I'll probably wait until my next service in March as I know how to deal with it at the moment .Anyone else have this problem or should I report it to the dealer ?
Nothing like that with my five. It certainly sounds wrong. I’d at least get it checked.
Something sounds like it’s having a headache in there somewhere.

Nothing like that with my five. It certainly sounds wrong. I’d at least get it checked.
Something sounds like it’s having a headache in there somewhere.
I thought as much . I'm not due a service until March so I'll inform them before it goes in , though I'll probably get out the trusty 10mm spanner and see if the old battery disconnect trick clears it :)

I thought as much . I'm not due a service until March so I'll inform them before it goes in , though I'll probably get out the trusty 10mm spanner and see if the old battery disconnect trick clears it :)
It’s always worth a try 👍

I turned off the auto high beams on mine as it was being more of a nuisance than a help, it would wait far too late before switching back to dipped beams and often enable when joining dual carriage ways.etc annoying other drivers.

Hi, I had to take my MG zs 2022 back to the garage for a problem with the radio stopped working! They fixed it by disconnecting the 12v battery.
Since then I have a problem with the auto-dipping! The problem being that when driving at night they dip themselves as say behind a car as they should but every now and then the main beam will come on for a half a second! It will do the same when cars are coming towards you in the dark the car dips and then before the approaching car has gone passed it will flash them. This seems to have started since they disconnect the 12v battery. Anyone eles got the same problem?
Andy

Do see this occasionally on my mg5. 12v never been disconnected since I picked it up new APR 22. Dips and bends in the road, other non vehicle lighting seem to confuse the auto dip system from time to time.

Service is due at it will be one of the issues to be raised. Lights will switch to High beam when there is approaching traffic, worst soon after starting so may be condensation related.

Also have a peeling drive selector/park button.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom