Auto hold function

PaulR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Next to the electronic handbrake there is an auto hold button, does this actually do anything? I have tried using it but nothing appears to happen. Cars I have owned before that have had this function normally worked when I applied pressure to the brake pedal when stopped.
Thanks
Edit.. I have the MG 5 Excite model

Yes, it does work! When selected it will apply the brake when stationary, there's an indicative symbol on the LHS of the display to show that it's engaged. Then you can release your right foot on the brake (the pedal stays where you left it which feels a bit strange at first) and then once you are able to pull away the brake will automatically release once you apply the accelerator. For those who like to pull to a perfectly smooth stop, it can be a little too 'keen' on occasions as it engages IMHO. That's on an Exclusive - assume same function for the Excite.

Next to the electronic handbrake there is an auto hold button, does this actually do anything? I have tried using it but nothing appears to happen. Cars I have owned before that have had this function normally worked when I applied pressure to the brake pedal when stopped.
Thanks
Edit.. I have the MG 5 Excite model
You need to have seatbelt on

Yes, it does work! When selected it will apply the brake when stationary, there's an indicative symbol on the LHS of the display to show that it's engaged. Then you can release your right foot on the brake (the pedal stays where you left it which feels a bit strange at first) and then once you are able to pull away the brake will automatically release once you apply the accelerator. For those who like to pull to a perfectly smooth stop, it can be a little too 'keen' on occasions as it engages IMHO. That's on an Exclusive - assume same function for the Excite.
Thanks, it may be that the Excite model doesn't have it then because it doesn't work at all on mine.

Yes, it's not a parking brake, that's something else - just to be used while driving so with seatbelt on!

When the auto hold is active the handbrake light on the dials comes on in green. When the handbrake itself is engaged the same light is red.

Definitely on the Excite but I don't use it, as mentioned above, it's quite abrupt when you pull away again. I just use the P for park button, then when it's time to go, a quick twist into D and we're off

Definitely on the Excite but I don't use it, as mentioned above, it's quite abrupt when you pull away again. I just use the P for park button, then when it's time to go, a quick twist into D and we're off
Yes I have it working now but I do agree with you that it is a bit abrupt when setting off again, I doubt I will be using it much.

But it stops you sitting with your foot on the brake otherwise the car starts creeping?

My biggest issue with it is that you need to remember to press it every time you get in the car. My golf used to remember whether you had it switched on last time you were in the car.

Mine puts it on sometimes and not others...quite annoying as I am used to it having it on my previous car.

Mine does not remember, I have to set it to on if I want to use it. How are you finding the car, is it what you thought?
Yes very happy with it so far.

We tried a few rapid chargers to get to grips with how it all works and only managed to get about 25kw rate which is much slower than expected. However I'm putting it down to the battery only being down to about 50% and maybe it's so new it needs to 'settle' in some way?

How about you? It's still a bit eerie just how quiet everything is!

Yes very happy with it so far.

We tried a few rapid chargers to get to grips with how it all works and only managed to get about 25kw rate which is much slower than expected. However I'm putting it down to the battery only being down to about 50% and maybe it's so new it needs to 'settle' in some way?

How about you? It's still a bit eerie just how quiet everything is!
Having not had a test drive I was a bit concerned that it would not be as I imagined, I had no need to worry as it far exceeded my expectations. The comfort and smoothness is better than I have had in luxury cars likes Mercs and the XF Jags. The initial power when you put your foot down makes me smile and the running costs are great. I have only done one charge on a paid charger and only because I wanted to see how it worked. I can charge at work for free so hoping that will cover most of my mileage. Everyone that has been in it have been impressed and my brother drove it and couldn't believe just how nice it was, I am expecting him to order one very soon :)
I love the lack of noise and the regenerative braking. I really hope I never have to go back to an ICE car again. Absolutely loving it:)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom