Auto hold on MG evs

mourneuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I had a test drive in a ZS SR yesterday. I wasn’t in the best frame of mind and didn’t enjoy the drive so I’m going to go back and try again, probably at a different dealer because that was why I wasn’t in the right frame of mind by the time I got in the car.

One thing I want to ask, the car I tried had a pause between accelerating and the auto hold releasing. Are all the MG evs like this or was it just this one? I currently drive a Kodiaq auto and the auto hold release is seamless as soon as I accelerate.

I’ve been driving our ZS EV SR for a month and always have the auto hold on. Don’t notice any difference from our previous automatic Qashqi

I have had auto hold on the last 4 cars I have owned and of them all, the only one that didn't have some sort of delay or jerking when pulling away and releasing it was the 15 plate manual VW Passat estate... even the 15 plate Mercedes SLK auto and 66 plate C Class auto were a bit juddery, and the BMW 530e that I had most recently was of a simliar ilk to the VW, just not quite as smooth.

What I really hate and wish that all EVs would ditch is "creep" Why can't they all be one pedal driving, or at least like the Tesla where you can turn creep on and off.

there is a millisecond delay. If you need to get off the line quickly, you will notice it. I always have it engaged though, its great at lights etc

I test drove a different ZS yesterday, this one a trophy, and the delay was imperceptible, so it was just the first car.

What I really hate and wish that all EVs would ditch is "creep" Why can't they all be one pedal driving, or at least like the Tesla where you can turn creep on and off.
This was really frustrating when comparing test drives of the ZS EV against a Nissan Leaf, which has had seamless 1-pedal driving since the 2018 refresh. Why would anyone want to deliberately emulate an undesirable feature of an ICE auto box in a car that doesn't need it?
Still didn't pick the Leaf mainly because of its CHAdeMO connector, but its driving mode was much nicer.

This was really frustrating when comparing test drives of the ZS EV against a Nissan Leaf, which has had seamless 1-pedal driving since the 2018 refresh. Why would anyone want to deliberately emulate an undesirable feature of an ICE auto box in a car that doesn't need it?
Still didn't pick the Leaf mainly because of its CHAdeMO connector, but its driving mode was much nicer.
Literally the same opinion as me... it was the fact that even the new 2022 version of the leaf is going to have an outdated charge port. I loved the one pedal driving but one of the other points that put me off the leaf is that the leaf still looks like a car from 2018 ☹️ and the 2022 "facelift" (if you can call it a facelift) is no better...

MG5 starts going slowly once you release the break so there is no need for hill assist
It's called creep, all autos do it. The auto hold takes away the need to keep your foot on the brake and blinding the guy behind with you brake lights as you wait at the traffic lights.

It's called creep, all autos do it. The auto hold takes away the need to keep your foot on the brake and blinding the guy behind with you brake lights as you wait at the traffic lights.
FYI, auto hold puts the brake lights on as well.

Surely that depends how steep the hill is.
I have just tried it on a moderate slope, it stays still after releasing the break, auto hold kicks in even if is not on. Once back on flat releasing the foot brake starts the car slowly

There is a very slight perceptible delay but I can live with that. well worth having the function, although it can be turned off by pressing the button next to the electric handbrake button.
I believe an automatic holds with the torque converter rather than the brakes so the action is smoother. The MG applies the brakes electrically then has to release them hence the slight delay. It's still quicker off the mark than an auto.😉

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom